Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

210. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)

I doubt this album has been mentioned thus far. Observed by most music fans to be Coldplay's "coming out" album and arguably the best album of their career. There are not any tracks on this album that fall short. This album was made before they were compared to Radiohead and U2. Highlights of this album include "Clocks" (their breakout song), "The Scientist" and "In My Place". Other great tracks include "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face", "Politik", "Green Eyes" and "Warning Sign". This album marked the beginning of Coldplay's popular music dominance and also solidified them as a consistent alternative/adult rock staple. The mix between the previously mentioned genres draws fans in from across the board on this album. Banging drums, melodic rhythms, hypnotizing pianos and appropriate vocals are the mark of this album.

---------- Post added February-19th-2012 at 06:32 AM ----------

Love The Who Quadrophenia pick last page. That is an album that needs to be on this list.

There are many more that need to be on this list as well (thanks to Califan for keeping track) including several rap albums. There is one very alternative album that I didn't see posted either, I'll be on that if it isn't around in another 10 albums or so. Can't believe some of the albums that haven't been named yet.

Wish I knew Jazz and Classical better... bet there are some incredible choices out there that we aren't considering because they're out of genre...

Has anyone suggested Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool?

Musicalwise... Chess is incredible... great blend of styles... Rock, classic, it even has a rap song in it that made the top forty (One Night in Bangkok-- which might be one of its weaker songs)

31GRX6WHVSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Released in the mid-60s.

It's really hard to tie down one John Lee Hooker album. He recorded so many albums, so many tracks, so many records over his time that you could compare his output to John Coltrane. John Lee Hooker released hundreds of records, many of them lost to the ages after the recording companies went under. In the 90s and 00s he enjoyed a re-discovery and a lot of those old tracks have been rereleased on compilations, and in those 10 years there's something like 50 or 60 of these comps out there... because there's that much material to work wth. Check out the discography for him on wikipedia.. it's a HELL of a long list.

As a result there's not too many of his albums that you can point to as being definitive, he was that prolific, but I will nominate It Serves You Right To Suffer.

It has it all. Hooker's boogie style is infectious, and it will have you jukin' and jivin' all over the floor. It also can make you cry.. he can spin a tale of sorrow better than just about any of the old blues masters,, because he told the story differently.. for him it wasn't always about singing it right.. half the time I think he took a concept and made the lyrics up as he went along. And you felt him. every bit of him,, you felt the pain and anguish in a song like "country boy" ... you feel completely ****y and puffed up when you hear "Boom Boom". He covers the Beatles "Money", and it's fantastically his own.

IMO, the second best individual blues album of all time, behind Muddy Waters "Folk Singer".

~Bang

217. The Flaming Lips---The Soft Bulletin (1999)

The success of this band is somewhat baffling to me. They'd been around forever but then came out with 2 gems with this album and then in 2002 with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I don't know how you categorize the music, it certainly has psychedelic elements and it's just strange (or divergent) but on this album it's also brilliant and original. You can say this about this band: they won't bore you. Great album.

228. Elvis Costello---Armed Forces (1979) Pleased to add this prolific songwriter. He was stamping out just great material in the late 70's and early 80's and this one is among his finest. Saw him open for the Police about 5 years back and he just completely upstaged them. He's still producing great cds and doesnt show any signs of slowing down. Thinking man's lyrics married with catchy pop confections.

230. B.B. King-Completely Well (1969)

Like Bang mentioned about John Lee Hooker, B.B. King has had a prolific career so it's hard to nail done one album; but this one is a stand out. King mixed blues, rock and funk and put out some of his most beloved songs, including his magnum opus "The Thrill is Gone."

Archived