Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

127. The Police - Synchronicity

---------- Post added February-17th-2012 at 11:08 AM ----------

I like Zenyatta Mendatta (sic) and Ghost in the Machine just a tad more.

How many on the list do you own? lol...I've now counted 13 albums on the list that I have.

---------- Post added February-18th-2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

read the op, only 1 album the 10 need to be posted before you put up another one

190. U2, Beautiful Day

Thanks SC, sent you a Pm appreciate it and love this thread, can't wait to add some to my Ipod.

here's one (I've been trying to not list too many "classic rock" choices so far but this one's an undeniable gem):

190. Quadrophenia - The Who (1973)

I never thought this album, a double album at that, garnered the praise it deserved. It was of course the soundtrack to a film (the album pre-dated the movie by 6 years) in which, among other themes, Townsend deals with the rebellion of being a youth and, also, being disillusioned (which may be the album's main theme really). Finding out your heroes aren't who you thought they were. It really nails the whole teen angst thing pretty beautifully. No wonder I loved this cd so much in high school.

Overlooked cut: "Sea and Sand"

194. Coconut Records - Davy (2009)

At first glance an album by a mildly famous actor might not sound too intriguing seeing as all actors turned musicians are horrid, but Jason Schwartzman proves that there are exception to some rules. Schwartzman shows off his multi-instrumental skills by playing everything from piano and guitar to clarinet and trumpet all by his lonesome. His influences from The Beach Boys and John Lennon are obvious, but he adds enough of himself to his music to make it distinctly his own.You'd be hard pressed to find an album made in the past 20 years that will make you croon along more than this one.

197. Bo Deans - Joe Dirt Car

41JFNX4D56L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Talk about live albums brought this one to mind. These midwestern rockers go through all their great songs in this double album with a raucous crowd amping up the vibe. Great harmonies, tuneful songs. Worth listening to over and over. It's one of those great and rare live albums where you swear many of the songs sound better than the studio versions, which to me is a testament to the musicality of the band.

I have another double live album in mind by a band that should be on this list. I'll come back and nominate them later.

John Prine always reminded me of Jimmy Buffet, and vice versa... only his songs were smarter and actually funny. There are some really great songs on this.

196. John Prine - The Missing Years

Beautiful. Glad John Prine gets a mention. Sweet Revenge would have been an excellent choice, too, but The Missing Years is a great addition. :applause:

611imLDLwXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions

In the 60s American blues masters enjoyed a resurgence of popularity in the UK, thanks of course to bands like the Stones, Yardbirds, Them, etc.

Howlin' Wolf especially,, "Smokestack Lightnin'" went to #1 in the UK something like 12 years after its initial release.

So in 1970 he went over and did a session with some musicians under the London label.. so here we have an album recorded live in studio, and the band is Howlin' Wolf, Eric Claption, Bill wyman, Charlie Watts and Stevie Winwood.

It is amazing. the English guys are clearly in awe of him, and their playing elevates. It's TIGHT.

At one point during Little Red Rooster, Wolf stops the band to school Clapton on how he should be playing it. Fun to listen to.

Rather easily found, too. This image is from Amazon.

There's one that Muddy waters tried after this, same name, the London Session,s,, but the band isn't as good, and it's not the same. Howlin' Wolf's songs lent themselves well to the english version of the blues.

~Bang

Guest Spearfeather

200. Steve Forbert - Jackrabbit Slim

Still remember the first time I heard this song , when I was 10 years old. Fast forward eight years, and it just so happens that he's playing a club in my hometown the night I graduated from High School. Went to the show with my girlfriend after graduating, walked up and shook hands between sets. I asked him what album one particular song he played was on. He was hammered. Said he had no idea. Great show. Saw him a year later opening for Bob Dylan at George Mason.

Great songwriter. Great album.

Here's an instant classic from the Folk genre:

202. Sufjan Stevens-- Illinoise (2005)

This concept album takes up the stories, places, events, history of, you got it, the state of Illinois and while that may sound sappy at first, the album is just brilliant and beautifully rendered. He even does a song about a serial killer that is just stark and well, tragically beautiful. If you like Bright Eyes material you'll most likely enjoy this folk record. Americana at its best imho.

^^^^ nice call on bright eyes this is one of my favorite tracks

Magnificent song, one of my favorites for sure. Conor Oberst might not have perfect pitch, but he sings with such passion using such eloquent lyrics. He's one of the few musicians out there that you can truly call an artist because he just puts every bit of who he is into his music. While 90% of music sounds artificial, his sounds uniquely human. So many of his albums are worthy of being considered "Must Hear Before You Die".

Archived