Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

How many on the list do you own? lol...I've now counted 13 albums on the list that I have.

So far (up to Traffic above) I own or have owned 46 of them.

Not too shabby!

And it looks like I'm up again, so

138: Ramones- It's Alive

Ramones_-_It%27s_Alive_cover.jpg

The best punk band of all time, and using the word punk on them is sort of a misnomer. The Ramones were a straight up rock and roll band.At a million miles an hour.

I saw them 8 or 9 times back in the early 80s. Friggin AWESOME. Most of their studio albums don't really do justice to what they were live. They were an onslaught.

The first time i saw them I had no idea what to expect. I had seen Johnny Winter the night before at the old Wax Museum on 4th st. in DC. He was great, but I can't tell you why. On the way out i saw the Ramones on the marquis for the next night, so a friend and i came back, and the only thing I can remember about Johnny Winter's show is what I just wrote.

When they were on, the Ramones were AMAZING. (They weren't always good,, a few of those shows were downright bad.) But when it was good, they were like an attack that never let up.

that first time.. it was a trip,, the punks were out,, and they were usually the few freakshows in a crowd, but not that night,, that time it was my friend and me,, looking rather normal who stood out.

The opening band was booed off. (Every time i saw them the opening band got booed off. No kidding. This one was called "The Mob", and I booed loudly, too. )

When the Ramones came on it sounded like a friggin' helicopter landing on your head. It took a second to adjust to the speed of it all, because when it went off, so did the whole place,, nonstop movement.. like a boimb had gone off. The whole place was a slam (or a mosh, for you kiddies). I'd never done that before either,, I must say i absolutely LOVED it.

The show went pell mell at a thousand miles an hour, Joey Ramone about 12 feet tall and wrapped on that mic like a snake.. 2 minute songs that ended like a plane crash,, and literally,, time enough for Joey to say "THANKEW!" was all it took before DeeDee would yell "WANTOOTHREEFAA!" and off they went again. It was again, unlike anything I had ever experienced. I'd been to plenty of shows, seen plenty of bands, plenty of bands who pretended to do what the Ramones were doing. I had the time of my young life that night, and that's no exaggeration.

this album in it's original import is a single show, New Years Eve 1977 in London. (I think "It's alive" has been rereleased with about 6 other shows included .. none come close to that one.)

It will let you hear the power of the Ramones, and will definitely let you know that they really WERE one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

and now I'm up to 47

~Bang

We've touched on several different genres, which is cool. I'm going to add bluegrass to the list.

Seldom Scene - Live at the Cellar Door

41177CJ0MPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This double album was recorded at the old Cellar Door. Some of you remember this place on the western end of Georgetown on M Street.

I was never really a fan of bluegrass, but this album opened my eyes - and my ears. Bluegrass purists might look askance at this choice because the Seldom Scene often strayed from traditional bluegrass arrangements and rocked them up a bit. I guess it's considered progressive bluegrass. The musicianship is undeniable. Everyone in the band, John Starling, John Duffy, Mike Auldridge, Ben Eldrige, kicked ass on their instruments. Their vocal harmonies were pitch perfect.

Listen to John Duffy's mandolin on I Know You Rider (a traditional song the Grateful Dead also recorded). Duffy was a virtuoso on mandolin and had a silky smooth tenor. He had the distinction of playing in two landmark bluegrass bands - The Country Gentlemen and The Seldom Scene.

The album is a mix of traditional bluegrass songs along with other songs given a bluegrass twist: (It's All Over Now) Baby Blue, Rawhide, City of New Orleans, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, If I Were a Carpenter, the aforementioned I Know You Rider...

With 500 albums, there's room for one in the bluegrass genre. Again, the purists might quibble with this choice, but listening to it back in the day "Live at the Cellar Door" was a revelation to me. All of a sudden bluegrass became more than just some hillbilly music. Those guys were awesome musicians and the music rocked.

Spear, that's another great choice from you. ;)

These guys need to be in here:

142. Wheels of Fire---Cream

The first "supergroup"---consisting of bassist/vocalist Jack Bruce, guitarist/vocalist Eric Clapton, and drummer Ginger Baker.

This was the world's first platinum-selling double album

Cream made a significant impact upon the popular music of the time, and, along with Jimi Hendrix, they popularised the use of the wah-wah pedal. They provided a heavy yet technically proficient musical theme that foreshadowed and influenced the emergence of British bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and The Jeff Beck Group in the late 1960s. The band's live performances influenced progressive rock acts such as Rush,[11] jam bands such as The Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead, Phish and heavy metal bands such as Black Sabbath.[12]Cream was ranked #16 on VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock and Rolling Stone named them the sixty-sixth greatest artist of all time.[13] In 2010 VH1 also ranked them #61 on their 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.<wiki>

Counting Crows- August and Everything After (1993)
142. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

For the record: Exile on Man Street was released in 1972 ( not '71 )

Two great additions.

Has any Grateful Dead been included yet? Any deadheads want to jump in with a seminal album? American Beauty or Workingman's Dead?

Guest Spearfeather
Originally posted by Jumbo

Spear, that's another great choice from you. ( Every Picture Tells a Story )

The title track is one of the best " Rock n' Roll " songs I've ever heard. Great blend of acoustic and electric and I love the drums in it by Mickey Waller who once substituted for Charlie Watts ( Stones ) for one night. Maggie Bells' ( Scottish version of Janis Joplin ) backing vocals blend pefectly with Stewarts. Dynamic. Just fantastic.

Not to mention Mandolin Wind, Maggie May and I'm Losing You.

Guest Spearfeather
145- Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East

If you don't like this there is something wrong with you. This is a jam album if there ever was one.

Great!

The title track is one of the best " Rock n' Roll " songs I've ever heard. Great blend of acoustic and electric and I love the drums in it by Mickey Waller who once substituted for Charlie Watts ( Stones ) for one night. Maggie Bells' ( Scotlands version of Janis Joplin ) backing vocals blend pefectly with Stewerts. Dynamic. Just fantastic.

Not to mention Mandolin Wind, Maggie May and I'm Losing You.

Absolutely, and while the recording quality of the follow-up, Smiler, left something to be desired, much of the same band was there and turned out some wonderfulness and jamming tunes---"Dixie Toot" being another favorite.;)

Guest Spearfeather
Originally posted by Jumbo

Absolutely, and while the recording quality of the follow-up, Smiler, left something to be desired, much of the same band was there and turned out some wonderfulness and jamming tunes---"Dixie Toot" being another favorite.

I'm pretty sure Never a Dull Moment was in between those two.

I don't own Smiler, but I might have to invest. I've heard good things on it.

Archived