Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

I'm loving all the Beatles submissions...because they're that damn good. I'll lay off though so this doesn't become dominated by them.

53. Live - Throwing Copper

One of the best albums of 1994 and still holds up today. The great thing to me about C.D.'s like this is that with maybe one exception (two at the most) it doesn't feel like that band took any songs off. They were all solid, none of them seemed like filler. I know they've had many subsequent albums, but none of them ever came close to the sophmore release for this band.

I was coming here to add this, good thing I searched the thread first! My favorite album of all time.

Hate them all you want, make fun of them all you want, but to deny the power of this album would be foolish.

Prior to Kiss Alive!, the live album was something of a novelty, only a few bands released them, the production quality was usually not good, and they didn't sell well.

This showed that it could also be a viable release, and shows that on stage Kiss are better than the early albums let them show.

A solid slice of 70s Rock.

220px-Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

I have an album that I think everyone must hear before they die...but if I include it on the list I get the feeling more than a few people are gonna get their boxers twisted over it :ols:...

Women artists are allowed too. Whitney, Christina, etc.

Soundtracks like Grease, etc.

Boy bands...

Old school like Sinatra...

I am surprised that no one has Ready to Die or 36 Chambers.

Man up.

jay, that is a great one. I have another that hopefully some will appreciate.

Are we allowed to challenge albums to be removed from the list? I've been okay with bands being included that I've never heard of, but I used to be a big Metallica guy, and there's no way Kill Em All should be on this list. I like some of the songs on it, but it's pretty rough and unpolished compared to their later work, even before the band went a little soft. Master of Puppets or And Justice For All should clearly be the choice there.

This also bridges to another argument I'm about to make, which goes against one of my earlier comments in the thread...I'm beginning to think this should have been 500 albums by 500 bands, and definitely no greatest hits allowed. That would have opened the thread up for a ton of debate, especially over bands like the Beatles where you could argue for and against five or six different albums.

On another note, why hasn't Spiff updated the OP as promised? :ols:

Oh, and another artist where multiple arguments could be made...Bily Joel. After going over the discography and track listing, I could make legit arguments for The Stranger or An Innocent Man being the one that should be included if you have to have only one Billy Joel album, and I'd be open to other arguments.

This also bridges to another argument I'm about to make, which goes against one of my earlier comments in the thread...I'm beginning to think this should have been 500 albums by 500 bands, and definitely no greatest hits allowed. That would have opened the thread up for a ton of debate, especially over bands like the Beatles where you could argue for and against five or six different albums.

This was my argument too ;) IMO, the thread should be about experiencing music as a whole (which is why my posts will include Meshuggah and some progressive bluegrass and some classical). 500 seems like a big number, but I have at least 100 albums in my collection I consider "musts" for any critical listener of music. Incidentally, the greatest recording of all time, imo, was already posted. Harry James - King James Version is the best recording ever. Astonishingly good. Major kudos to whoever posted it.

This was my argument too ;) IMO, the thread should be about experiencing music as a whole (which is why my posts will include Meshuggah and some progressive bluegrass and some classical). 500 seems like a big number, but I have at least 100 albums in my collection I consider "musts" for any critical listener of music.

And every album you own is by a different artist? lol...

I don't think limiting the list to one album per artist solves anything. Someone will name an album by (fill in the blank), and 12 people will be upset because they feel that same artist had a much better album that should represent them on the list...then someone else will say we need to be able to "vote off" albums so that we can rectify when that happens (which someone just mentioned, actually lol)...then riots ensue, the stock market crashes...

And every album you own is by a different artist? lol...

I don't think limiting the list to one album per artist solves anything. Someone will name an album by (fill in the blank), and 12 people will be upset because they feel that same artist had a much better album that should represent them on the list...then someone else will say we need to be able to "vote off" albums so that we can rectify when that happens (which someone just mentioned, actually lol)...then riots ensue, the stock market crashes...

All of those 100+ are ;)

Women artists are allowed too. Whitney, Christina, etc.

Soundtracks like Grease, etc.

Boy bands...

Old school like Sinatra...

I am surprised that no one has Ready to Die or 36 Chambers.

Man up.

jay, that is a great one. I have another that hopefully some will appreciate.

As anyone would have guessed, it's simply a list of our personal favorites. :yes:...Stevie Wonder's only on here once. James Brown is missing altogether. Marvin Gaye? Absent. Janis Joplin? *crickets*...but there's still time, and I know I'll be adding a few artists who--so far at least--have been overlooked.

As anyone would have guessed, it's simply a list of our personal favorites. :yes:...Stevie Wonder's only on here once. James Brown is missing altogether. Marvin Gaye? Absent. Janis Joplin? *crickets*...but there's still time, and I know I'll be adding a few artists who--so far at least--have been overlooked.

Yep. I'm working under the assumption that someone else is going to take care of the "gimmes". At least hoping.

Well, Cali I easily have 100 different artists in my collection of music.

That's not what I was asking, though lol...I asked if the poster had 100 albums, if each of those albums was by a different artist.

But to me it seems like that makes the case to include greatest hits.

I am not a fan of the idea of the whole "vote off" premise.

I'm not a fan of either voting off OR limiting the list to one album per artist. Basically, there's no way we can come up with a list like this that satisfies everyone's individual quirks and tastes. So I say screw it, and just roll with it in the fun manner in which it was meant. :thumbsup:

Archived