Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

No Hank? This list makes my eyes itch. Tracy Chapman, ABBA, 2 skinny J's (whoever that is) and Bone, thugs and harmony get mention and there's no Hank, Cash, Elvis?

And now we've gone show tune!

I wouldn't consider the list generated a top album list, it's turned into a more personal list of the members. Some of the albums listed aren't even considered great albums...some have only 1 song that was even decent.

I had hoped for a better list to add to my collection.

Well, figure it's a long list.. 500 albums,, and it's not a list of what is critically the best,, it's the ones people think you should hear.

Lots of interesting recommendations on this list.

Since it's just "albums".. i think any recording could be included,,, comedy albums, soundtracks ..

~Bang

I think posters, not naming any names, need to lighten up about the additions to this list. It's probably not going to make everyone happy and hey, if you don't see that artist you love, just add it. Let's have fun with this and hopefully get into some music you missed or put off listening to in the past. Enjoy!

244. Stevie Wonder – Innervisions (1973)This is an absolute gem from Wonder when he was at the top of his game in the 1970's. Some great social protest songs here. I think this guy put out music that could stand with any other artist in the early 1970s (and it was crowded with some great talent). I just like this one better than all of this others but you have to check out other offerings from him in this era because he was just producing some amazing sounds. BTW: he followed Marvin Gaye's lead and broke away from Motown/Berry Gordy so he could have more artistic freedom. It was actually a pretty big deal to do this back then.

Lost gem: ."He's Misstra Know-It-All" (some people say the song was about Richard Nixon). The piano intro is amazing on it.

Wasn't "Innervisions" the first real application of synthesizers in a mass-appeal pop album?

I remember seeing videos ofthem doing " superstitious" with guys working a gigantic monstrosity of a thing,, looked like Univac.. to make the synthesised music.

~Bang

Wasn't "Innervisions" the first real application of synthesizers in a mass-appeal pop album?

I remember seeing videos ofthem doing " superstitious" with guys working a gigantic monstrosity of a thing,, looked like Univac.. to make the synthesised music.

~Bang

Not sure, that's a great question. I do know Wonder at this point played an inordinate amount of instruments himself and just went back and mixed them.

244. Stevie Wonder – Innervisions (1973)This is an absolute gem from Wonder when he was at the top of his game in the 1970's. Some great social protest songs here. I think this guy put out music that could stand with any other artist in the early 1970s (and it was crowded with some great talent).

Lost gem: ."He's Misstra Know-It-All" (some people say the song was about Richard Nixon). The piano intro is amazing on it.

Great, great album. I need to put that on now. :cheers:

Re-post: EDIT: 245: Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend

Well, figure it's a long list.. 500 albums,, and it's not a list of what is critically the best,, it's the ones people think you should hear.

Lots of interesting recommendations on this list.

Since it's just "albums".. i think any recording could be included,,, comedy albums, soundtracks ..

~Bang

What Bang said :yes:...if this were "The 500 Best Albums Ever Made" only about 14 of the albums listed would qualify lol...

And I'm thiiiiis close to making Richard Pryor's "Wanted" album my next choice lol :cool:

What Bang said :yes:...if this were "The 500 Best Albums Ever Made" only about 14 of the albums listed would qualify lol...

And I'm thiiiiis close to making Richard Pryor's "Wanted" album my next choice lol :cool:

Over Eddie Murphy - Eddie Murphy ? Well, It would be pretty close. haha.

When I made my additions to the list (Sublime - Sublime, Boyz II Men - II, and Primus - Frizzle Fry)

I wasn't adding albums that are considered masterpieces or popular choices.

I was adding albums that I myself find great beginning to end and would suggest to others who maybe haven't heard them to take a listen. Which I imagine others are doing as well. Could be why there are some albums that you would think should be on the list are missing. (not stopping you from adding them though)

I think posters, not naming any names, need to lighten up about the additions to this list. It's probably not going to make everyone happy and hey, if you don't see that artist you love, just add it. Let's have fun with this and hopefully get into some music you missed or put off listening to in the past. Enjoy!

244. Stevie Wonder – Innervisions (1973)This is an absolute gem from Wonder when he was at the top of his game in the 1970's. Some great social protest songs here. I think this guy put out music that could stand with any other artist in the early 1970s (and it was crowded with some great talent). I just like this one better than all of this others but you have to check out other offerings from him in this era because he was just producing some amazing sounds. BTW: he followed Marvin Gaye's lead and broke away from Motown/Berry Gordy so he could have more artistic freedom. It was actually a pretty big deal to do this back then.

I thought I already mentioned Innervisions.

Point out the inaccuracies on the lust and I'll correct them.

I am not sure about blue mentioning the Stevie record.

But certainly I saw that Bob Marley was mentioned as #12 and missed it at first too. Someone (perhaps Sticks) told me it was listed.

I changed my pick to something else and responded about Bob Marley...yet it still has not been listed, thus the reason I reposted it.

Not a big deal though.

OK on the last posted "full list" it went to 241 so for 242 I submit:

Relationship Of Command- by At The Drive In (1999). For me personally the 90's were dominated by either Post Grunge or Nu Metal shlock. Relationship Of Command was the first album I heard that broke out of that mold at the end of the decade and heralded the arrival of the "Screamo" bands like Thursday, The Bled, Underoath, and what became a million other bands that saturated the scene into extinction (similar to Post Grunge/ Nu Metal).

Relationship of Command featured the socio-political undertones of The Clash/ RATM and the Progressive ambitions of King Crimson, and ELP . In fact, half of At The Drive In would form The Mars Volta in the wake of ATDI's disintegration, while the other half formed Sparta.

Oops, somebody said it was already there... must've missed it.

I am not sure about blue mentioning the Stevie record.

But certainly I saw that Bob Marley was mentioned as #12 and missed it at first too. Someone (perhaps Sticks) told me it was listed.

I changed my pick to something else and responded about Bob Marley...yet it still has not been listed, thus the reason I reposted it.

Not a big deal though.

My b. It was because someone posted like 8 albums and then I thought he stuck with Legend after he realized the OP rules. But he picked another.

My b. It was because someone posted like 8 albums and then I thought he stuck with Legend after he realized the OP rules. But he picked another.

Why is the post not there now ?

That is not what happened though.

It was discussion, and then the album.

It just got missed. Hey, I missed it too.

I have one that has not been mentioned, but because of the re-post...I have to wait.

Not a big deal.

Archived