Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tailgate 500 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die List--**READ RULES IN OP BEFORE POSTING**--MET

Spaceman Spiff

I can't believe we've neglected this fantastic Manchester group until now, so influential where they on British Indy music:

257. The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses (1989)

Seminal band of the 'Madchester' era that inspired some fantastic bands that followed. The Roses changed British music. Ian Brown is the swagger leading, '****-em-all' generation leader even Liam Gallagher wishes he could be. They re-introduced rythum into guiter bands with proper base driven grooves. And with the legendary Spike Island gig, with 27,000 or so stoned out teenagers, they paved the way for the likes of Oasis at Knebworth, Blur at Mile End, the Monkeys at Old Trafford et all for Indy bands to say " **** man. We're so ******* colossal we need our own legendary venues!"

This year's reunion tour after 15 long years away can't come soon enough to reinvigorate the scene all over again.

Hail.

256. The Pretenders (self-titled) (1980) What a debut this album was. Mixing elements of punk, new wave and straight ahead rock, Chrissy Hynde crafted a really great set of songs. This may be their high point but the next 2 CD's after this one were equally solid. Tragedy really hit this band hard as drug use claimed 2 members of the band early on. I still think she's one of rocks best leads. This album has infectious hooks aplenty married with raw lyrics.

Great record.

260. Johnny Winter ~ Progressive Blues Experiment Johnny Winter, Tommy Shanon, Uncle John Turner.

"Most Johnny Winter Fans consider "The Progressive Blues Experiment" one of Johnny Winter's best albums if not the best.

In 1968, Johnny began playing in a trio with bassist Tommy Shannon and drummer Uncle John Turner. Their shows at Austin's Vulcan Gas Company and Houston's Love Street Light Circus, attracted the attention of a writer for Rolling Stone magazine, who had been writing an article about the Texas hippie scene. The author devoted three paragraphs to Johnny, whom he referred to as "the hottest item outside of Janis Joplin". The article brought nation wide attention to the album "The Progressive Blues Experiment", a collection of songs that Johnny's trio had recorded live at the Vulcan Gas Company"

261. Thomas Dolby---The Flat Earth

Actually had the pleasure of doing some work for this dude. An amazing and influential person much respected by his peers. While The Golden Age of Wireless was a great disc and gave us the immortal "She Blinded Me With Science", and his third release, Aliens Ate My Buick (one of my fave titles and they had great album artwork and had two fave songs: "Airhead" and "My Brain Is Like A Sieve") was also a critical success, I picked his second album as a seminal work.

From wiki: In 1984, Dolby released his second LP, The Flat Earth (Capitol), which peaked at #14 on the UK Albums Chart and at #35 on the Billboard Album Chart in the US. Utilizing a wide range of influences ranging from nostalgic Jazz, funk-tinged Motown R&B, and World Music, along with a strong electronic element[11] and featuring a slew of guest musicians, including longtime Dolby collaborator Matthew Seligman on bass, Kevin Armstrong on guitar, and Cliff Brigden on percussion, and guest vocals from Robyn Hitch****, Bruce Woolley and others, The Flat Earth further established Dolby's wide range of talents as musician, songwriter, and producer. The album also included a cover of the Dan Hicks song "I Scare Myself".

"Hyperactive!", originally written for Michael Jackson,[12] was the first and most successful single from the album, peaking at #17 on the UK Singles Chart, making it Dolby's highest-charting single in his home country.

atemybuick.jpg

261. Thomas Dolby---The Flat Earth

Actually had the pleasure of doing some work for this dude. An amazing and influential person much respected by his peers. While The Golden Age of Wireless was a great disc and gave us the immortal "She Blinded Me With Science", and his third release, Aliens Ate My Buick (one of my fave titles and they had great album artwork and had two fave songs: "Airhead" and "My Brain Is Like A Sieve") was also a critical success, I picked his second album as a seminal work.

<edit rule 11 violation >

jnI26X_fHRU

This video freaked me out when it first came out lol :ols:...

"And in a minute I'll blow!..."

Guest Spearfeather

262. The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet ( 1968 )

Full of Country, Blues, Folk, Rock, and a dash of Gospel. This is the Stones paying respect to their roots.

I always thought that if you combined this one, with the follow- up studio album Let it Bleed, you would basically have the Stones version of the White Album. I've always had to give Jagger his " props " as a singer because of his versatility. Compare his vocals here to say......those of " Emotional Rescue " or the second side of Tattoo You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_u0R4xbaRRg#t=0s

You know The Stone Roses are a great choice, they just never enjoyed the success in America that they did in the UK.

For what ever reason, many fantastic British bands have never quite managed to crack the States. I really thought Oasis, who wouldn't of started out where it not for the Roses, would have the best shot to blow up America like the Beatles did. But they sadly spent those tours blowing each other up to total disaster.

And then you've some great American bands like the Killers who've had far bigger success in the UK than the States.

It's a strange quirk all round.

Hail.

Take black metal, punk, and reggae and put them into a blender. Add the famed "Crack rock steady beat"

What do you get? A band of transients from NYC with some very angry melodies. Sounds like a contradiction, but I know of no other way to say it.

263- Choking Victim, No Gods No Managers (1999)

Enjoy. I really love this album, I suppose some small percentage of you will as well.

For what ever reason, many fantastic British bands have never quite managed to crack the States. I really thought Oasis, who wouldn't of started out where it not for the Roses, would have the best shot to blow up America like the Beatles did. But they sadly spent those tours blowing each other up to total disaster.

And then you've some great American bands like the Killers who've had far bigger success in the UK than the States.

It's a strange quirk all round.

Hail.

It is funny what catches on and what doesn't between the States and England. Hendrix had to go to Europe to find initial success and then brought it back to the States. Kings of Leon worked for years in the States and then achieved gigantic fame in the UK and finally had more American audiences then take notice (though they are still bigger in the UK than here). The Dandy Warhols (admittedly not a great band) never made much of an impact here in the States and they just blew up in England. Go figure.

265. The Decemberists - Picaresque (2005)

A baroque folk band that uses accordions, melodicas, guitars and upright bass to create a sort of modern renaissance genre. Their songs often tell epic stories of historical fiction which fits their sound so damn well. Their sound is very unique, but if I had to make a comparison I'd say they are like Neutral Milk Hotel with better musicianship.

Throwing Copper was added over the weekend.

Bunch of good ones today

~Bang

didnt see it.... kinda surprised someone else thought it worth mentioning.

---------- Post added February-20th-2012 at 06:50 PM ----------

arctic-monkeys-lp.jpg

arctic monkeys- favorite worst nightmare

in the genre of the strokes... killers.... etc.... great band.... incredible live. last couple albums werent so great though.

"Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar"- Blackstar. My all time favorite hip hop album. Talib's solo albums are decent, and Mos Def's is slightly better, but together Blackstar offered lyrical genius w/ musical balance. The Yin and Yang. Talib's didactic social commentary and Mos Def's soulful melody complement each other perfectly. In a time when real hip hop was about to go extinct, its darkest days when it reached an all time high popularity but the message was diluted with violence, bling and ho's, Blackstar came out w/ some socially conscious lyrics that were so dope no one could question what they represented.

269 Devo--- Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! (1978)

Loved these guys back in high school and while their material probably doesn't stand the test of time, for their time and place, they were pretty damned cool. And certainly rebellious in their own way. This one's their debut and perhaps their best. How can you not love song titles such as

"Gut Feeling" / "(Slap Your Mammy)" and "Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin')"Mark Mothersbaugh (the primary songwriter in the band), much like Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo would do later, transitioned from a successful rock/new wave career, into steady work as a solid contributor to musical scores for Hollywood movies and TV shows(in fact I think both of them are still working in this arena). For their time Devo were a breath of fresh air and a welcomed relief to "hair bands" and classic rock which dominated much of 1970's music. Nerd rock with synthesizers and off the wall lyrics.

For the old skoolers in the thread: As a completely unrelated (and possibly uninteresting) aside, the pic from the album below resembles Chichi Rodriguez because they modeled it after him but for some reason they replaced it with a picture of some generic face. They even threw in a golf ball in the background.

Archived