Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

in my opinion the moderating is way more time consuming than anything else. 

most everything else is a money problem. I think there’s a way around that. 

it’s cleaning up the messes and dealing with reported posts and trying to stick to the established culture that takes all the time. 

if i knew all the mods were coming with that’d be easy. If they weren’t I’d have reservations. Think people underestimate the work they put in, especially when the teams good and the site usage is up with all the randos 

I'll be honest, the idea that any of the mods wouldn't come along had crossed my mind, but I haven't heard any of them say that.  Maybe it's too early to answer, I'm open to helping where I know I can consistently.

I'm not convinced anyone even wants me to be a mod, I made nominations last time this came up, openly hoped for @Destino because I remembered him reaching out to me as a teen when I was going through it and was showing on the board.  Being a mod can be as simple as enforcing rules, but it can have an impact on the community as a whole jus cracking whips all day, I remember when we had one at least one of those too (rhymes with fart).

Way this thread was presented was more what to do if something happened and there was no ES (think about staying in touch now) then evolved into either replacements or how to keep it going elsewhere. Moving the community I can see some folks deciding that's their time to clock out, especially depending on how its done. 

Again, I don't expect any mod to say they out on page 9 or 10 of this thread, and confident that can get worked out as it has in the past.  Mods come and go, I like how this went the last time new ones were added.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Make the forum invite-only tailgate crew.  That should save on bandwidth costs :).

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How much could we keep time and costs down if we only wanted the Tailgate?

I came here because it was a Redskins message board.

Only posts in the Stadium count towards overall total.

Remembering that helps keep things in context for me before I post it, reasonable expectations, especially anything beyond debating on a message board.

I do agree with idea of tailgate privileges potentially being earned, like a prove yourself type thing to how carrying yourself in the stadium to mods or other manner.  It's already a privilege that can be taken.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Most of my post total came when Aaron Hernandez decided to leave a wake of bodies behind him.  (RIP, he was a great player, but he had issues that I don't think any of us would know how to deal with being in the NFL.)

I'm in gameday threads cuz I'm always watching. 

I've learned to fully proofread and decide if I really want to "submit" in the Tailgate.  Y'all don't have any idea of the amount of stuff I delete. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Most of my post total came when Aaron Hernandez decided to leave a wake of bodies behind him.  (RIP, he was a great player, but he had issues that I don't think any of us would know how to deal with being in the NFL.)

I'm in gameday threads cuz I'm always watching. 

I've learned to fully proofread and decide if I really want to "submit" in the Tailgate.  Y'all don't have any idea of the amount of stuff I delete. 

I laugh because I delete far, far more than I post.  It's a great exercise in organizing my thoughts which, post MS, is a real chore for me.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Man, this is sobering news.  I can't believe its been 15 years since I've been here.  All I can say is when the site is down I feel like I've lost my keys, or phone or wallet, LOL.

I'm lost a bit, without it.  Having said that, anything I can do to be part of making sure this place continues in some form, with the essential people, count me in for the cause of those willing to help/work/contribute to making sure the community survives and thrives. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Man, this is sobering news.  I can't believe its been 15 years since I've been here.  All I can say is when the site is down I feel like I've lost my keys, or phone or wallet, LOL.

Ikr?  I couldn't figure out how to do anything except get the cats taken care of.  Totally fell out, if it weren't for @LadySkinsFan, thank the heavens, she texted me and let me know we were back up...earlier that morning we were both losing our minds. We've met in real life, so we're good friends.  

Damn, there used to be this silly thing called a "phone book".  I don't have a problem with our most recent certified members having mine. 

You can ask 2 US Senators here in GA, Stacey, Nancy, and everyone in the friggin' WH.  I'm contacted about a dozen times a day by about a dozen different people. 

Use my phone, I don't care.  Just keep me in the loop. 

I love this place.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Ikr?  I couldn't figure out how to do anything except get the cats taken care of.  Totally fell out, if it weren't for @LadySkinsFan, thank the heavens, she texted me and let me know we were back up...earlier that morning we were both losing our minds. We've met in real life, so we're good friends.  

Damn, there used to be this silly thing called a "phone book".  I don't have a problem with our most recent certified members having mine. 

You can ask 2 US Senators here in GA, Stacey, Nancy, and everyone in the friggin' WH.  I'm contacted about a dozen times a day by about a dozen different people. 

Use my phone, I don't care.  Just keep me in the loop. 

I love this place.

Are you calling us certifiable?

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So I just realized that the "Washington Football Team" link at the top of the page doesn't work anymore.  Should we read into that?

Maybe it’s just because they took down the Washington journey stuff (what it links to)

I think generally the takeaway should be - Harris has already started cleaning house on the business side of things, and the new IT people/person did something to shut down the site 😂 

I'm too socially awkward and keep in touch outside of this website but I will miss having conversations with you guys if it comes to that. 

So if it does and there is something I can do to help find a second solution - monetarily or otherwise - I would be happy to do it. Please let me know. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

Has anyone from the admin staff taken the initiative to reach out to the team to see if they have any plans in place already?  All this hand wringing may be a moot point, or not.  But at least you’d have some clarity.

Edited by stoshuaj

8 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Has anyone from the admin staff taken the initiative to reach out to the team to see if they have any plans in place already?  All this hand wringing may be a moot point.

the plan is to get ourselves invited to a party at Magic Johnson’s house and then casually bring up the message board between amusing stories told over drinks. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Have you considered tagging him on Twitter?

Where is your sense of adventure?

contacts are being made, wasted, made again, and begged for mercy. Word was that the lawyers didn’t love us. Pure speculation here: it’s probably because by using traditional social media, their hands are clean of anything that gets posted. When there’s an update you guys will be 3rd, or so, to know. I’ll learn it from you guys. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Destino said:

the plan is to get ourselves invited to a party at Magic Johnson’s house and then casually bring up the message board between amusing stories told over drinks. 

Wrangle me an invite.  He and I are both Michigan State alum, so maybe we can use that to our advantage.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Destino said:

Where is your sense of adventure?

contacts are being made, wasted, made again, and begged for mercy. Word was that the lawyers didn’t love us. Pure speculation here: it’s probably because by using traditional social media, their hands are clean of anything that gets posted. When there’s an update you guys will be 3rd, or so, to know. I’ll learn it from you guys. 

This has been my assumption from the beginning. There's very little direct benefit to the team in operating ES, but there are some potential drawbacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

This has been my assumption from the beginning. There's very little direct benefit to the team in operating ES, but there are some potential drawbacks. 

We have enough nerds and geeks to be considered "analytics".

We're already an official source of information.

Maybe we could even argue that some may be considered as "assistants scouts" too!

So they do have to take this place into account :)

• Haha 1