Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

He needs to be let go, i dont want him part of this franchise, why let decent players walk and replace them with bums? Holcomb is the latest example…. But there are many others and his draft picks have all stunk so far, I know there’s a lot of hope for dotson and jamin davis has improved per se but neither were worth first round picks when you have a Swiss cheese offensive line. It’s very apparent Cam Newton carried him.

I wouldn't have resigned Holcombe whatsoever.  Dude was a major liability against the run here his entire time.  Washed-up Bostic actually improved the run defense when Cole got injured (again) last season.  Barton is just a JAG, but he's cheap.  

Listening to Keim, he shares the blame.  O line allowed a lot of pressure.  Receivers weren't getting open.  Need more committment to the run.  Howell held on to the ball at times too long.

For those suggesting its mostly on Sam.  I disagree.   We could see the pressure with our own eyes.   It existed in camp, and I saw it.  It existed in the pre season.    If this is all on Sam Howell than it would mean he has the worst pocket presence in the history of the game.  They are giving up an historic number of sacks.  This isn't run of the mill where its what rookie or young QB doesn't get sacked 19 times in 3 games or has a 70% pressure rate.  This ride is VERY unsual.  

As for the Bieineimy part.  I liked the signing.  But to me he's an unknown.  So i don't know until I know about him.   I thought and said so at the time those wanting him to be HC are jumping the gun.  Based on what?  And all the hype because of one half of offense against Denver after meh against Arizone I also thought was premature.  I like the narrative around Bieineimy but its way early to crown him.   I'd say overall, he's been an up and down start on the playcalling. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I wouldn't have resigned Holcombe whatsoever.  Dude was a major liability against the run here his entire time.  Washed-up Bostic actually improved the run defense when Cole got injured (again) last season.  Barton is just a JAG, but he's cheap.  

Agreed but the mistake RR made was not drafting a guy in 2022 in a loaded off ball LB draft and letting him learn for a year to them step in as a replacement…kind of like what the Bills did with Bernard knowing they wouldn’t be able to keep Edmunds

• Like 1

I never liked the Bieneimy to begin with and this weeks game plan falls squarely on him. The RT he brought in, having our worst blocking RB get the bulk of the snaps over the two guys who can actually block and not changing the script, when what we were doing was clearly not working. The defense held up until into the second half, when they were clearly worn out. 

Not sure of the snap count break downs by half, but you'd think Bates, Armah and CRod would have their increase greatly, along with BRob.

Second half adjustments seemed to be "lets keep doing what we were doing". We were in this game for a long time, before it finally swirled down the drain.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Nine sacks and no pressure on Josh Allen. We got manhandled, and lost the game at the line of scrimmage.  And the play calling on offense, abandoning the run, instead of adjusting, is on EB. They have got to start using Robinson a lot more, and sprinkle in some Rodriquez. 

Redskins have a solid D-line but yesterday it was obvious we have probably the worst O-line in the league. Washington can never find balance. The play calling is not balanced in terms of run/pass ratio.  Not enough Robinson.  No Dotson or Brown sightings.  Pushing it to the TE's, and Butler dropped two INT's as far as I could see.  

They are going to have to do what other teams have done when their O line is being manhandled and their QB is being pressured 80%.  They were talking about Daniel Jones being pressured 47% of the time and that not being sustainable for positive QB play, so 80%? They have to rectify this especially going into Philadelphia because their line will tee off on Howell. Instead of actually throwing to the TE's, how about setting them up on the line for protection and blocking, two- man set, during passing downs?  I noticed that worked really well in Minnesota with Cousin's when his O line was struggling in protection two years ago.  I thought they brought up the FB, from the practice squad, Alex Armah, to help with the blocking up front to be honest.  
Edited by skinsmania123

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Nine sacks and no pressure on Josh Allen. We got manhandled, and lost the game at the line of scrimmage.  And the play calling on offense, abandoning the run, instead of adjusting, is on EB. They have got to start using Robinson a lot more, and sprinkle in some Rodriquez. 

Redskins have a solid D-line but yesterday it was obvious we have probably the worst O-line in the league. Washington can never find balance. The play calling is not balanced in terms of run/pass ratio.  Not enough Robinson.  No Dotson or Brown sightings.  Pushing it to the TE's, and Butler dropped two INT's as far as I could see.  

They are going to have to do what other teams have done when their O line is being manhandled and their QB is being pressured 80%.  They were talking about Daniel Jones being pressured 47% of the time and that not being sustainable for positive QB play, so 80%? They have to rectify this especially going into Philadelphia because their line will tee off on Howell. Instead of actually throwing to the TE's, how about setting them up on the line for protection and blocking, two- man set, during passing downs?  I noticed that worked really well in Minnesota with Cousin's when his O line was struggling in protection two years ago.  I thought they brought up the FB, from the practice squad, Alex Armah, to help with the blocking up front to be honest.  

At least with Philly, they will need to revert to their gameplan from the second game last year. The difference is that this year the Eagles have Jalen Carter 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim, he shares the blame.  O line allowed a lot of pressure.  Receivers weren't getting open.  Need more committment to the run.  Howell held on to the ball at times too long.

Judging by the broadcast version, this is a fair take.   Not once yesterday did they run it back and show receivers open.  They were still in their route when Howell was being sacked.

It was the perfect storm of atrocious protection, long developing plays, and Sam holding the ball too long.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Nah, we were pressuring Allen.  He's just too good at escaping and has elite pocket presence.  Many of those Diggs throws were just out of this world.  No defense was stopping Allen yesterday.  

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Judging by the broadcast version, this is a fair take.   Not once yesterday did they run it back and show receivers open.  They were still in their route when Howell was being sacked.

It was the perfect storm of atrocious protection, long developing plays, and Sam holding the ball too long.  

I know against Denver because I watched it closely they were in 6-7 man protection a lot.   So that naturally puts less receiving options in play.

That's why a bad O line has so many ripple effects.  I said it years back (not that it wasn't a basic 101 thought) before Ron tested the theory here -- it resonated with me when a scout once said teams with bad offensive lines are typically bad -- the disclaimer was if they had elite QB play they could work around it to some extent but heck even Andy Reid stresses the power of a strong O line with Mahomes.

Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 12.01.36 PM.png

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Nah, we were pressuring Allen.  He's just too good at escaping and has elite pocket presence.  Many of those Diggs throws were just out of this world.  No defense was stopping Allen yesterday.  

See I do not 100% agree with that. Based upon that pressure, Butler should have had two INT's. One went right through his hands, and he took the wrong angle on the other.   And of course Fuller got one.  

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah he was in MVP form. When hes on line that youre not beating them unless your guy is on too.

Not kicking the field goal and going for it on fourth down due to analytics must not take into account how ****ty your oline is. Kick the field goal and shift the momentum. Maybe the next play on D is a pick six for us. I get being up and doing it to put a dagger in the other team, but down 10? Bad call.

Edited by tmandoug1

12 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Not kicking the field goal and going for it on fourth down due to analytics must not take into account how ****ty your oline is. Kick the field goal and shift the momentum. Maybe the next play on D is a pick six for us. I get being up and doing it to put a dagger in the other team, but down 10? Bad call.

While I do believe in momentum, I don’t think 3 there steals it.  I think Rivera believed 2 things:

1. They need to get 7 vs. a team like the Bills.

2. He told EB the above and was confident he’d dial up 7.

Unfortunately, the play calls were 💩.  I believe Robinson missed a key block, but still didn’t like the calls.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Holcombe is doing just fine with the Steelers, and that's all Bostic could do is stop the run.  Holcombe does a little of everything which Barton does none of as well. Should not let him walk is my thought too, So I disagree and agree with the poster who said we should have kept him. 

1 hour ago, method man said:

At least with Philly, they will need to revert to their gameplan from the second game last year. The difference is that this year the Eagles have Jalen Carter 

I am beyond pissed that so many teams passed on Jalen Carter because he was drag racing and allowed the best player in the draft to fall to the Eagles.

I have no idea if this is on the QB or not, we saw what a difference in the sack totals were when Cousins replaced Griffin. But it's also perfectly clear that the protection is pitiful.  And of course what is frustrating is we all knew this was probably the team's biggest need going into the offseason and they failed to adequately address it. 

For the ****show it was, the last drive play calling, w/2 extra sacks, is beyond comprehension to me. With the situation we've been in with QB's getting hurt, continuing to drop him back when the game was well over is dereliction of duty from RR/EB. Would love to hear their reasoning/thought process on that. 

EB (imo) just needs to figure out we're not the Chiefs. 

7 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

For the ****show it was, the last drive play calling, w/2 extra sacks, is beyond comprehension to me. With the situation we've been in with QB's getting hurt, continuing to drop him back when the game was well over is dereliction of duty from RR/EB. Would love to hear their reasoning/thought process on that. 

I do wonder what the offense would look like had we taken Kincaid instead of Forbes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Buff got a lead and ran more than they threw.

We were not gonna leave Forbes out there in the face of that. They would have directed every run in his direction.

B-Rob is so fresh he might as well be vacuumed sealed.

No.1 pick cannot play the run? Looks like the concerns of many were right, have not seen the play maker skills that were advertised very often, just a few sparks. 

8 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I turned to Red Zone, but just reading about the last drive makes my blood boil. Such a bad look to scratch and claw to a field goal down 5+ scores.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

The play calling to end the game was criminal. Let your QB, who is clearly checked out, get hit multiple times again, just to get 3 points to end a 37 point blow out is pathetic.

Thank god the Cards beat up on Dallas and the Dolphins punked Payton or we'd be getting destroyed.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1