Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Pew Pew Pew... Shots... Explosives

KDawg

Don't understand why anybody prefers Crowder on punt returns.  Outside of 2016, Crowder's punt return performance has usually been worse than having no punt returner. There is a reason that from 2018 to last year, Crowder was not the primary punt return guy.

I am still upset about our performance but not as upset as I was during the game and right at the end of the game.  Our defense gave up only 6 points. The three turnovers by our offense made up 10+ for the Cards and -3 at a MINIMUM on us. Despite an ugly performance by the offense without the TOs, we would have won the game 23-6 minimum and 31-6 at the high end. So that's something because we are more likely to be able to clean that up than our other ugly issues (though Sam may learn to not be such a sack magnet). Was pretty mad that the defense was not creating turnovers until the last quarter as failure to create turnovers was the one sore spot I had with the defense last year. Tress Way may need to find a new cornhole partner.

Brian Mitchell said it took him a while to even start consistently catching punts so I'm hoping that Allen gets enough practice at that and can prove he can at least play a Sunday 5 spot WR so that by mid-season we don't need Crowder or Milne. I hate on Crowder as a return guy and don't think he holds Dax's jock strap in this regard but he offers much more than Milne as a 4 or 5 spot Sunday WR. I guess there is some possibility is that the 2016 version of Crowder comes back as I also suspect that much of our punt return problem is not fully on the punt returner.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

They need to find more ways to get the ball on the hands of their receivers.

Folks are getting open, but a lot of times its the TE because he's not as feared and today we saw multiple times why.

Wilson and Sean Peyton combo scored 16 points at home today and lost.  We need to cut down on out turnovers, but our defense will at least keep that close for Sam to do something with it.

I'm somewhere between it was raining and back of Gibson fumbling and I never want to see him again.  So much talent but has momentum killing sometimes game losing fumbles.  It's almost not worth it, thought he figured it out last year, it's one game that was raining...maybe...i guess...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Im glad we didn't need to "steal" a win. We nearly gave one away, but that's better than needing a steal.  Got to wonder how much EB wants us to be the Chiefs? Hopefully he saw what he needed to from the OL and we can (at least try) to establish a run game next time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well, it wasn't pretty. But really, when is it?

I always understand when someone says, "I'm not a win is a win kind of guy, context matters". I mean it makes sense logically. However, as someone who has been around football for a large portion of my life (in pro locker room, a college coaching staff, high school coaching staffs, JV coaching staffs, modified coaching staffs, etc...) I have to also respectfully tell you that you are full of ****.

As a player or coach, it’s always better to win than lose - no matter how it transpires.  Context matters though as a fan from a confidence perspective.  I agree with those who say this is a game we usually lose.  From that perspective, a win is a win.  We had numerous opportunities to pounce and failed to do so, starting with Gibson and his knack for fumbling in the worst spots.

What gives me major pause moving forward though is the offensive line, which directly impacts the development of Sam.  It was alarming to see the pressure they gave up against the Cards D.

• Like 5

I have hope for Howell I think his issues are correctable. I have no hope for the Ol.

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Tress deserves a star, not just because he is one hell of a punter, but because he managed to turn terrible snaps into points instead of turnovers. Cheese deserves a frowny face

Yep and give credit to Slye too

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

Oline scares me even more now. There were stretches where they we completely outmatched in every way... against a bad Cards D-line.

Wylie was doing his impression of a helicopter.

Charles looked like he was trying to stop freight trains.

Gates definitely did not major in communications.

Cosmi got his bell rung but I think he'll be OK. Still very concerning that he had to leave the game.

Sam made the line look even worse by holding the ball and running outta bounds behind the line, pumping the sack total.

Some of the more technical and more athletic D-lines we are gonna face our going to utterly destroy us if the Cards gave us such a hard time

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Here's hoping that today's performance by the OL was a learning experience and they'll improve as the season goes along.  The majority of this OL wasn't on this team last year and it will take some time to jell. Travelle Wharton and Co. now have a ton of film to work with and here's hoping they do get better

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They need to find more ways to get the ball on the hands of their receivers.

Folks are getting open, but a lot of times its the TE because he's not as feared and today we saw multiple times why.

Wilson and Sean Peyton combo scored 16 points at home today and lost.  We need to cut down on out turnovers, but our defense will at least keep that close for Sam to do something with it.

I'm somewhere between it was raining and back of Gibson fumbling and I never want to see him again.  So much talent but has momentum killing sometimes game losing fumbles.  It's almost not worth it, thought he figured it out last year, it's one game that was raining...maybe...i guess...

Come on, now...EVERYBODY FUMBLES.  

We've seen this for many decades, stuff happens.  (I'm sure you're aware that no one is perfect.  Even the one who was had faults, I think you get my point.) 

Gibby isn't worthless, we've just gotta find a good spot for him. 

• Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Im glad we didn't need to "steal" a win. We nearly gave one away, but that's better than needing a steal.  Got to wonder how much EB wants us to be the Chiefs? Hopefully he saw what he needed to from the OL and we can (at least try) to establish a run game next time. 

Hopefully EB learned that you cannot safely hand it off to Gibson around the 20.

he’s a smart guy, so he’ll learn this important life-lesson

35 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

@KDawg always enjoy these threads, regardless of the outcome of the game.

EB and his staff have a lot of work to do this week. Might want to start with moving Wylie to G where he belongs and allow Turner to be Howell's best friends.

With no outside additions, the best OL combo is Leno/Wylie/Gates/Cosmi/Lucas. You will at least have much better pass pro to work with and there aren't questions with Wylie when it comes to playing LG. The no brainer ultimate selljob thing they should be doing is trying to lure Jason Peters here. He does want to play this year. They could restructure Leno, Thomas and a couple other guys to make it happen.

For those who think we have no shot, Juan Castillo has a relationship with him from their days together in Philly and helped to lure him to Chicago while he was OL coach there.

1 minute ago, petey hodge said:

Hopefully EB learned that you cannot safely hand it off to Gibson around the 20.

he’s a smart guy, so he’ll learn this important life-lesson

Glad to be done with the AG experiment after this year. Hopefully they can go draft a true scat back

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, but if you consistently fumble you can’t play in the NFL.

This year is not last year.  Had a wet ball, which I don't think any team has dealt with in preseason (hot and dry af across most of the country.)  Lots of things go into how the ball itself works.  It is an oblong piece of leather.  I don't think a single one of us talking right now deal with that in our hands all day.   

Give him another game, re-evaluate. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Come on, now...EVERYBODY FUMBLES.  

We've seen this for many decades, stuff happens.  (I'm sure you're aware that no one is perfect.  Even the one who was had faults, I think you get my point.) 

Gibby isn't worthless, we've just gotta find a good spot for him. 

No, everybody doesn't fumble at the same rate and running backs have been threatened or demoted from relevancy about it. Everybody fumbles doesn't do that reality justice.

The rate he was fumbling lead to him losing his starting job to Robinson.  The amount he's fumbling he does and when matters enough to negate the talent he brings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

No, everybody doesn't fumble at the same rate and running backs have been threatened or demoted from relevancy about it. Everybody fumbles doesn't do that reality justice.

The rate he was fumbling lead to him losing his starting job to Robinson.  The amount he's fumbling he does and when matters enough to negate the talent he brings.

See my next post, did I make any more sense?  I can take the crit.