Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Pew Pew Pew... Shots... Explosives

KDawg

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

See my next post, did I make any more sense?  I can take the crit.

None of us are paid to hold on to that ball like that for a living...im sorry I've see. Coaching staff dump footballs in water as part of prepping for known rain games coming.

I badly want Gibson to work, the talent is obvious...but history for me says if I have to defend keeping someone on the roster for multiple seasons in a row, I might not be right about them.

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

See, that's what I needed to know.  Preesh.

But we just brought back a WR from Duke to do things.  He always could, just never got a decent chance.   (I got to see him here at GT, it was a Duke win with an hour-long lightning storm...)

Keep special people who KNOW THEIR ROLE. 

• Thumb up 1

It can’t be understated, the gap between our OL talent going up against a defensive line like the Cowboys.

What they’ve shown us in camp, preseason, and now 1 regular season game is nowhere near good enough.  Sure, they should “gel” better as the season goes on, but they simply do not have the horses.  

I would absolutely love to be wrong, but I’m just not seeing how it’s possible to match up against legit DL’s.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ill take the win.. even if very, very ugly. But damn.. we are in for a loong season. 
Howell. - eh... he better figure out things quicker, or Brisket will be starting by week 6. Same thing i saw in preseason.. holds the ball way too long

Bieniemy - not impressed with game plan, also no quick pass options. Weird game plan overall 

O-line - the only one surprised that they sucked is dumbo Ron

D played pretty well overall especially with crappy field position they were stuck with by O

If the O doesnt figure it out soon, we might be set for that high QB pick after all. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

What was with all the "Saahdiq Charles has turned a corner and figured things out" in the past month? Sure looked like same old same old.

Charles got to play a bazillion reps in preseason vs other teams 2s and 3s and looked great as a result.

The two drives he actually played against 1s in preseason he got beat like a drum.

He never looked good last year.

I did not put any stock into what people were saying about Charles. I'll believe he is improving when I see him put good film out against quality competition.

Currently on my mind regarding the game:

Howell was good....enough.  He looks about what I expect from a young QB.  His playmaking ability is there, both of the TDs were due to Howell's legs. The first one buying time, the second, running it in.  6 sacks is no bueno. Some of them were on the O-line, but there is also some cases where Howell has to recognize the situation and either take off or throw the ball away.  He might be going through the "every play has to be big" syndrome that young QBs do.  Overall I am happy with his performance.

O-line.....well the first few drives I was good with them, because they were mostly running the super quick pass plays to the flat.  Once EB was calling plays where they actually had to block to setup bigger plays, they failed miserably.  I am not looking forward to them matching up the better D-lines this season and I don't see how that unit can be fixed in-season.

Gibson: Put aside the red zone fumble for a moment, because I don't even see that as his major issue.  As RB, the dude has TERRIBLE field vision.  Over and over he is handed the ball and just runs straight forward into the pack instead of seeing the huge cutback lanes.  This kind of incompetenancy is the difference between 3rd & 3 vs 3rd & 6.....for an NFL RB this shouldn't be something you are still working on starting your 4th season.  I think Gibson still has some attributes that make him a weapon, but the RB experiment is about over. 

Defense: I thought they started the game just okay and was worried about another season where it takes them an entire month to figure it out, but after halftime they woke up and become dominant.  Sweat is out there on a mission and Chase Young better have a hell of a season ahead of him once he is back on the field because if Sweat keeps up this level of play consistently, he is getting paid ASAP.

Special teams: Coverage was spectacular.  The return game....eh it was okay. I like Crowder better than Mline, but I didn't think Crowder was amazing either, however he did enough to want me to see more. 

Offense: I was trying to be tempered with my expectations of how they would look out of the gate. This offense may become a machine eventually, but with this O-line it isn't going to be consistent.  There is enough firepower there to flash a lot of big plays but it is going to be up and down until they can consistently pass protect.  The goal is for the offense to look a little better every week that way if this team is any kind of position to be fighting for a playoff spot in December, they will be peaking then.

Coaches:  JDR gets a good grade.  Rivera/EB.....eh....I will give a C- for Week 1.   I thought EB was good at the start of the game, but when the O-line was struggling it felt like EB failed to adjust quick enough and the offense stalled out for awhile until they decided they needed to run the ball more.  Next week in Denver I want to see better in-game adjustments to what is happening on the field.  EB probably has a good idea of what he WANTS to do with the offense, but if the O-line is able to protect the QB long enough for those plays to develop, it's a lost cause.

Overall a win is a win in the NFL so I am happy enough.......but I am not exactly wow'd by it either.  This franchise has managed to win a lot of season openers in this exact fashion, and people want to ignore the troubling aspects, then before you know the team is 2-6.  So it is still a wait & see situation for me for this season.

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

Oh one thing I forgot....

The WR unit:  It was only one game, and the O-line issues probably didn't help matters, but I wasn't real impressed with how they were used in the offense today.  There was the one deep attempt to Terry that drew the flag, but overall it seemed like there was a ton of throws to stationary targets that eliminated opportunities for YAC.  I was hoping to see more slants & timing routes that allow the WRs to keep running in stride.  The one I can think of is when Howell threw arguably his worst pass of the day way behind Terry, because if that pass is hit in stride, Terry can likely turn up field and possibly a house call. (I forgot if there was a safety over the top of it).

This WR core is too good to be involved so little, there is little chance some of them aren't winning their match ups.  I give Terry a pass because there is a chance he is out there not 100% but I expected to see the WRs catching a lot more passes in space, especially considering Dotson's route running ability.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Arizona's defense didn't get the memo they were tanking but they aren't gonna get the credit they deserve. I'm not sure how happy I am about this win, I remember in '09 when we beat the hapless Rams 9-7 who turned out to be a 1 win team, go figure what happened to us the rest of the year. The run game looked pretty unimaginative, I felt we threw way too much. Howell can extend plays but man he took some shots out there today, didn't look as fast as I thought he was.. Overall we'll see when it comes to him..

Defensively not sure how to feel vs an offense whose QB, yes he know the system but, was signed a couple weeks ago. I'd prefer we'd done to the Cardinals what they did to us. I mean 6 sacks from guys who've barely started in this league, Most were UDFA. That's straight depressing knowing what we invested in our front, and how they built theirs outta spare parts, FEMA donations, duck tape and flex seal.

Kam Curl was everywhere. Skins fans since '08 have treated looking for the next ST like after the death of Superman. Anyone who shows a inkling of ST talent, makes a ST kinda play, hit etc anything that reminds you of him we try to anoint them the next ST. I'll you what with unbridled ST favoritism too, No Wash. safety has been around the ball near the line of scrimmage to break up short passes, screens better than Kam Curl, he's even better than Sean in that aspect. Now maybe Sean wasn't asked to do what Kam is being asked but I don't remember Sean making as many consistent plays near the LOS as Kam does..

Logan Thomas looked like Kadarius Toney out there, hadn't played in the preseason and it showed today. EDIT: I didn't realize he had 4 catches for 40 something yards. NM I take it back. 

Who knows how were gonna look vs a decent QB but one game at a time..

EDIT: At least we aren't NY right now. Sheesh. Mike Tirico did not expect to go through all his game research and stories likes its the HoF game so early in this one for filler since this game is complete dud.. The Brian Dabo honeymoon is overwith..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Like 3

The Giants have two high first round picks at OT. They can’t block Dallas pass rush. Heaven knows how we will fair.

Evan Neal is being destroyed. To be fair Thomas had a rocky start to his NFL career and turned it around, maybe Neal does the same. But this film review will be ugly for him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Oh one thing I forgot....

The WR unit:  It was only one game, and the O-line issues probably didn't help matters, but I wasn't real impressed with how they were used in the offense today.  There was the one deep attempt to Terry that drew the flag, but overall it seemed like there was a ton of throws to stationary targets that eliminated opportunities for YAC.  I was hoping to see more slants & timing routes that allow the WRs to keep running in stride.  The one I can think of is when Howell threw arguably his worst pass of the day way behind Terry, because if that pass is hit in stride, Terry can likely turn up field and possibly a house call. (I forgot if there was a safety over the top of it).

This WR core is too good to be involved so little, there is little chance some of them aren't winning their match ups.  I give Terry a pass because there is a chance he is out there not 100% but I expected to see the WRs catching a lot more passes in space, especially considering Dotson's route running ability.

I think McLaurin is still hurt but he still drew the big PI. He was also open on that one pass that Howell completely missed him on that would have gotten us a 1st down inside the Cards 20-ish I believe. 

It'll be hard to call too many downfield plays with the OL's inability to pass protect. I think the Cards were also dropping back and keeping everything in front of them.

I'd like to see more RPO and using Howell's legs as a function of the offense. It'll get the pass rush to back off some.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Howell. - eh... he better figure out things quicker, or Brisket will be starting by week 6. Same thing i saw in preseason.. holds the ball way too long

This is silly. It was his second NFL start and he played pretty decent for how little experience he has. The only way Brissett is coming in by week 6 is if 1) Howell gets injured or 2) Howell throws 3 TDs and 15 INTs over the next 5 games.

Yes he's holding the ball too long at times, but it takes experience for a NFL QB to get to the point where their recognition, processing, and then decision making is where you'd want it to ideally be.

If his decision making isn't quicker by the end of the season then I'll be concerned.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gibson has had fumbling issues in the past and yet he was still running through a pile of bodies with just one hand on the ball. He should have been hugging it like it was his baby and everyone is trying to kidnap it.

honestly, the best Gibson has been used was the first game in 2022. He was a beast and looked fantastic. Scott must have game planned all offseason for Gibson for that one game. After that, he forgot how to use him.

We need Cole Turner on the field. I really hope we get him more involved.

I hope Sweat can continue to play like this. If he does, I hope we do everything to keep him. He’s been good, but this was an elite game by him. 

im willing to go out there and block for Howell. I’ll do it for cheaper than Charles and I’ll play just as bad. I guarantee it. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Howell, for a good part of the day before it rained, was moving down the field with ease.

I think our first 3 and out came late in the third. One tipped pass and one Gibson fumble removed and this was looking like a blowout. 

Fix those mistakes and we could have a middling offense with a top 10 defense. Not Super Bowl contenders, but at least in the playoff mix. 

Edited by WFT4Ever

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Here is a promising stat from the D. We had 11 tackles for a loss in the game.

Worst thing I can say about our D is they get an * due to opponent, but they were incredible today.

210 total yards, and most of the points were the O's fault rather than the D.

Got some turnovers, short fields and big stops on 3rd n 4th

If this was the way they looked vs a good O, I'd be calling them elite. Outstanding, and there is some upside for them to get even better.