Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Thanks @Skinsinparadisemuch appreciated for posting those. 

Eluemunor looks like a reasonable option for a team in our position. In fairness to Lucas though he is also generally solid. 

I give it credence because Logan Paulsen watched some of the FA O lineman, and liked him.  I'd guess if he thought Lucas was just as good he wouldn't have been jazzed about this dude as a get.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Pass blocking key for me, Not saying get rid of Lucas either. But? Both?

Similar, probably don’t need both if we intend to draft OT as well. 

I’m also not convinced that they want to pay Leno the best end of 10mil this season.

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

What would be wise is to let EB select who he wants in FA (O related) or draft for his O to work.  Also, I am hoping RR moves off into the sunset as VP of team or front office and allows EB to become our new HC after the season.  It would be a shame to watch our O flourish if it does to have EB for 1 year and then have him move on.  There has to be more to this than just having EB for only a year only to watch him leave, especially if he's (our O) is successful.  

EB is a coach not a scout.

He certainly should have a big voice on the type of player he’s looking for based on the O he wants to run. He can also certainly give his views on the Chiefs free agents and maybe some other players he is very familiar with - but you don’t give the OC final say on the roster on his side of the ball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Don't cut Leno, he hasn't missed a snap in the longest time. His durability provides stability to the OL. Last season every starter got hurt to some degree other than Leno.

Don't cut Lucas even if we sign a RT. Depth is key.

We can't focus on improving the OL this off-season if we start cutting health and depth.

If we make any splash in free agency, it should be RT. Given how cheap we're likely to be, Eluemunor at under 10 a year would be a splash. Combined with Lucas and Leno it's a solid OT group with depth. It shifts Cosmi inside, if Roullier is on track to return then hitting OL needs in the draft are much more manageable.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

EB is a coach not a scout.

He certainly should have a big voice on the type of player he’s looking for based on the O he wants to run. He can also certainly give his views on the Chiefs free agents and maybe some other players he is very familiar with - but you don’t give the OC final say on the roster on his side of the ball.

Your correct, MartinC.  My words should have been have a big say.  :)  👍

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think anyone is advocating cutting Lucas. We just need to replace him as starter and relegate him back down to backup swing T/6th man which is the role he's built for.

Lucas is $5m on the cap this year. Leno is $12m. That’s a lot to play a backup. If you draft a LT and sign a RT, one if not both of those guys go. Makes no sense to pay $17m for backup OTs when you can spend that $$ elsewhere. I think you could keep Lucas at his price as a backup, but Leno would be hard to justify if he’s not starting unless he’d be willing to re-work his deal. Cutting Leno would save $8m this year and clear $14m next year. 

I'd be blown away and probably a bit angry if we cut our starting caliber LT who is on a very reasonable contract, even though he plays without injury concerns. What a terrible move that would be. For a draft pick or lower tier FA that we hope is an improvement?

There is no way we cut the only bright spot on out biggest hole.

Getting Roullier back would be great if he really is healthy. He's a huge strength when he plays.

Leno middle of the pack, so let's say he's the 15th best

Roullier is a top 5 when healthy.

Paul and Cosmi are great youth who can play. Cosni at RG

Norwell is decent at LG

RT at 16

That's a legit Oline. I'd probably bring back Wes and Lucas for depth.

Draft C/G in round 3 and another OT day 3 and we have solid depth and a good starting line.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lucas is $5m on the cap this year. Leno is $12m. That’s a lot to play a backup. If you draft a LT and sign a RT, one if not both of those guys go. Makes no sense to pay $17m for backup OTs when you can spend that $$ elsewhere. I think you could keep Lucas at his price as a backup, but Leno would be hard to justify if he’s not starting unless he’d be willing to re-work his deal. Cutting Leno would save $8m this year and clear $14m next year. 

My guess is we draft a RT and move Lucas to backup. $5 Mil is chump change for a swing tackle/OL 6th man considering how often that position suffers injuries. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think Lucas is our starting RT (Cosmi at G) unless we draft a guy, and even then he could start the year if the rookie isn’t ready. The only way I would cut Leno is if we draft a OT and he miraculously beats him out. I think it’s unlikely any rookie OT taken at 16 will be advanced enough to give us solid LT play immediately.

23 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

True, but I can’t see it playing out that way.  We’re not spending big on a tackle, so if we do sign someone, they’re not replacing Leno and may not even be an upgrade over Lucas.  They’d (hopefully) give us competition at the RT spot, improved depth, and the ability to move Cosmi inside.  

If we draft a tackle early, we almost certainly gain more (in terms of upgrading the line) by them slotting in at RT vs having them replace Leno.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend the money at RT, except for a super cheap guy.  Look to the draft instead, see who you land, and then decide in camp if you can afford to move Cosmi.  I might feel differently if we were in a position to spend freely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My guess is we draft a RT and move Lucas to backup. $5 Mil is chump change for a swing tackle/OL 6th man considering how often that position suffers injuries. 

Leno's played both so if we get an LT we could move him to RT and Lucas to backup

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I was his elementary school PE teacher.

Really ? Pretty cool that :cheers:

1 hour ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

Any chance saahdiq Charles ever amounts to anything and saves up from having to find extra FA help, or is this dude gonna be a training camp casualty finally?

50/50 although if you watch EB’s introductory press conference they seemed to have some history, assume from Charles scouting/draft process.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, method man said:

I think Saahdiq is a lost cause. He sucks and he can’t stay healthy either. Maybe a guy you leave on the PS. Probably the most disappointing pick we’ve had in the Rivera era. I expected a lot more out of him

Could well be right. Want he the instant pick about 2 minutes after the Trent trade was announced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, randyjohnson said:

Why does it seem Washington is the only team not cutting or restructuring any contracts! They know free agency is starting Monday?

Me too … I thought this specially yesterday when I saw the Cowboys saved 30m by just restructuring Martin and Dak…. Wow how are we not…

5 minutes ago, randyjohnson said:

Why does it seem Washington is the only team not cutting or restructuring any contracts! They know free agency is starting Monday?

I'm guessing due to the uncertainty of the ownership situation + Ron is not a good GM