Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim and Standig.  i am not done listening to Keim's podcast will listen to the rest soon.

Standig and Keim both think Heinicke has a good shot of coming back.  Standig expects some signings, maybe 1 year deal types, but nothing splashy.  Sheehan heard the opposite.  I guess we will see.

Keim says Rouillier is actually recovering well (previously wasn't so sure listening to him) and wants to play.  He suspects they keep Rouillier, sign Larsen and also draft a center

Keim believes they look for some bargains, signs multiple players but nothing sexy.    O line, CB, LB

Holcomb wants more money then they are offering.  Keim citing the FO has used @KDawg's posts to suggest he's not worth the ask. :D

I'm good with Holcomb as a backup/starter if we can't get another guy. We could do worse. But the money has to be right. 

Part of me thinks he's kind of a safety blanket for us and we need to let him go to give younger guys a chance and maybe improve. But, that also has risk because as much as I think Holcomb is a touch above average as a NFL ILB... He is a touch above average NFL ILB. So... slippery slope. 

Edited by KDawg

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm good with Holcomb as a backup/starter if we can't get another guy. We could do worse. But the money has to be right. 

Yup.  I thought the run defense improved significantly when (gulp) Bostic came back.  Holcombe is just a JAG.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we traded down significantly from 16 to the tail end of R1/early R2 and drafted Campbell while using the rest of the draft to focus on OL.

26 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Versatile DB Jabrill Peppers anyone ?

Good option if they are looking for backup Buffalo nickel

On another note, not a big deal but the other small tidbut I got out of the Keim podcast.

Turner is not coming back at guard.  Norwell might depending on what else they do.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, not a big deal but the other small tidbut I got out of the Keim podcast.

Turner is not coming back at guard.  Norwell might depending on what else they do.

Yep I would think Norwell sticks around until we see what lands in FA and the draft. No reason to cut him early...although we clearly need to upgrade there.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim and Standig.  i am not done listening to Keim's podcast will listen to the rest soon.

Standig and Keim both think Heinicke has a good shot of coming back.  Standig expects some signings, maybe 1 year deal types, but nothing splashy.  Sheehan heard the opposite.  I guess we will see.

Keim says Rouillier is actually recovering well (previously wasn't so sure listening to him) and wants to play.  He suspects they keep Rouillier, sign Larsen and also draft a center

Keim believes they look for some bargains, signs multiple players but nothing sexy.    O line, CB, LB

Holcomb wants more money than they are offering.  Keim citing the FO has used @KDawg's posts to suggest he's not worth the ask. :D

That’s good news, re Roullier.  I think I’d prefer returning Schweitzer over Larsen.  Larsen’s a better center, but Schweitzer gives us a bit more versatility/flexibility, and I think we’ll almost assuredly draft a 4th/5th round center as both depth and to take over from Roullier next year.  Of course I’m not sure who fits EB’s offense better.

I like Holcomb and would like to bring him back, but I think Mayo serves a similar role - a guy you can get by with as the starter, but would rather have as a backup.  Holcomb’s the more athletic - can cover and pursue a bit better, but I think Mayo’s better in terms of calling the D and coming forward.`

https://theathletic.com/4289555/2023/03/09/commanders-free-agency-nfl-2023/?source=emp-shared-article

Great article from Standig about value 1-2 year prove-it deals that could continue to be Commanders bread and butter this year. I really liked some names on the list.

TE: Mike Gesicki on a one-year prove it deal (if there is a limited market for him)

OT: Andrew Wylie on a 3 year $14m type deal

Center: Connor McGovern, Ethan Pocic, Garrett Bradbury all mentioned as warranting multi-year deals but ones with low/reasonable guarantees ($10-12m) which might make them more appealing 

Guard: Dalton Risner and Will Hernandez, also Nick Allegretti, Chiefs starter in 2020 who could be new Schweizer with G/C ability

DL: Matt Ionidis (if Payne gets traded), Solomon Thomas

LB: Leighton Vander Esch, Eric Kendricks, Devin Bush

CB: Shaq Griffin, Bryce Callahan

There are all players he thinks either won't command big signing bonuses/contracts or could want a 1 year prove-it deal to angle for a bigger 2024 contract (Gesicki, Griffin)

• Like 4

As they go shopping again, it seems likely they’ll search for more of the same, in part because of their circumstances. While improved, the Commanders still may not be considered a top destination for players who have options in free agency. Washington hasn’t won a playoff game in 17 years, it doesn’t have a clear solution at quarterback, it’s been the subject of multiple investigations and controversies, and players recently ranked the facilities the worst in the league.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/10/commanders-sale-free-agency/

Those mid level non sexy IOL players I’d look out for are 

C/G Bradley Bozeman, G Max Scharping.

Not someone I’ve picked out but the EB connection to RT Andrew Wylie makes that logical, although I think we would prefer to draft a starting RT.

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Not someone I’ve picked out but the EB connection to RT Andrew Wylie makes that logical, although I think we would prefer to draft a starting RT.

I haven't watched these guys in detail so I'm not willing to throw names out at the moment. But we'll see. I think we are going to be snagging 2-3 mid level OL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think there will be one legit named player signed that is very good.  Maybe Evan Brown from the Lions OG/OC.  Other than that, mid level bargains.  Hopefully, we get some decent bargain players.  

https://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/insider/story/_/id/35816499/2023-nfl-free-agency-overrated-underrated-players-every-position-including-teddy-bridgewater-jakobi-meyers-yannick-ngakoue

Offensive Tackle

3127304.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

Overrated: Kaleb McGary

2022 team: Falcons | Age entering 2023 season: 28

There's no way I'm paying up for a tackle whose weakness is pass protection. McGary's 85% pass block win rate ranked 47th out of 64 qualifying tackles this year, and that was the best number of his career. There's disagreement about his run blocking -- PFF graded him as one of the best run-blocking tackles, while his run block win rate (68%) was one of the worst. But even if it is a strength, pass protection is a tackle's more important function and shouldn't be sacrificed in a player who costs real money in free agency.

3042702.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

Underrated: Andrew Wylie

2022 team: Chiefs | Age entering 2023 season: 29

There are quite a few players we could put in this spot: Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor and Kelvin Beachum all are mediocre pass protectors who shouldn't cost too much. I think Wylie's reputation takes a hit from Patrick Mahomes holding the ball longer than average and inviting some pressure (knowing he can almost always avoid a sack). Pass block win rate, which simply measures if an offensive lineman sustains his block for 2.5 seconds, is a fan. Wylie ranked ninth in the metric last year, though it's worth noting he was playing next to an elite interior offensive line. Still, Wylie can get the job done and should be available for cheap.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 3

Andrew Wylie makes a lot of sense, especially if Bieniemy is familiar and is a fan of his play in KC. Wylie + a 1st round LT would be pretty solid, and cheap, compared to some alternatives. 

FA: Andrew Wylie, Will Hernandez, re-sign Larsen

Draft: Dawand Jones, John Michael Schmitz, 4th-6th round developmental OT

Carryovers: LG Cosmi, OT Lucas, OT Leno, C Roullier, T/G Charles, G Paul

Starters: Jones, Hernandez, JMS, Cosmi, Wylie

Backups: Paul, Charles, Larsen, Lucas, Rookie mid-round OT

Cuts: Leno, Roullier

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

That’s good news, re Roullier.  I think I’d prefer returning Schweitzer over Larsen.  Larsen’s a better center, but Schweitzer gives us a bit more versatility/flexibility, and I think we’ll almost assuredly draft a 4th/5th round center as both depth and to take over from Roullier next year.  Of course I’m not sure who fits EB’s offense better.

I like Holcomb and would like to bring him back, but I think Mayo serves a similar role - a guy you can get by with as the starter, but would rather have as a backup.  Holcomb’s the more athletic - can cover and pursue a bit better, but I think Mayo’s better in terms of calling the D and coming forward.`

You can keep both Larsen and Schweitzer and draft a center. Just have Larsen on PUP like last season. When someone inevitably goes down in the first six weeks, activate him then

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

https://theathletic.com/4289555/2023/03/09/commanders-free-agency-nfl-2023/?source=emp-shared-article

Great article from Standig about value 1-2 year prove-it deals that could continue to be Commanders bread and butter this year. I really liked some names on the list.

TE: Mike Gesicki on a one-year prove it deal (if there is a limited market for him)

OT: Andrew Wylie on a 3 year $14m type deal

Center: Connor McGovern, Ethan Pocic, Garrett Bradbury all mentioned as warranting multi-year deals but ones with low/reasonable guarantees ($10-12m) which might make them more appealing 

Guard: Dalton Risner and Will Hernandez, also Nick Allegretti, Chiefs starter in 2020 who could be new Schweizer with G/C ability

DL: Matt Ionidis (if Payne gets traded), Solomon Thomas

LB: Leighton Vander Esch, Eric Kendricks, Devin Bush

CB: Shaq Griffin, Bryce Callahan

There are all players he thinks either won't command big signing bonuses/contracts or could want a 1 year prove-it deal to angle for a bigger 2024 contract (Gesicki, Griffin)

Leighton Vander Esch had a big last year after previous neck injuries, tough dud I like and all 3 lb's would be a upgrade if we could get 1. Not wanting Payne traded and want no parts of Gesicki as he adds nothing we do not already have at TE. We need the Oline to be overhauled not to replace with the same, we need better not lateral players, those may come from the draft. My opinion would be LB or CB from FA if possible with everything sale going on, at the right price. Do not think high price FA's are even looked at this year. Just my opinion on these. 

Yeah I'm out on McGary now as well. In our division we absolutely can not have weak links in pass protection. Its a passing league, you gotta have guys who can pass protect.

I'm fine with Wiley but if the Chiefs let Brown walk, they'll probably pony up to keep Wylie. No way does Reid let both his starting Tackles go.

I think its more likely we address the interior of the line in FA since those guys tend to be cheaper and go after a T in the draft.

Keim and Bram on a podcast together and Bram thinks backup veteran QB in the $3-5mil range and he likes LB.  Whether it's Holcomb or someone else but definitely been trying to resign him.  Bram loves Edwards from Buffalo and likes David Long from TN.  They have about $15 mil to spend unless they rearrange some contracts.

Both think they go draft for CB and Oline with those higher picks.  Mentioned if they go after a CB in FA like Griffin, they won't be using the first on CB.

Good discussion on taking a swing at first round talent that have a hard time staying healthy like Wynn or Dillard on a 1 year prove it.

Both agree they won't be free spending and won't be able to fill all the roster holes.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

I know we won't be able to "fill all holes" ... we never can.

Our defense is pretty potent but we know the holes. CB and LB. We need bodies at CB and we need an okay starter at LB. Nothing elite, per se, though it would be nice to have a really good starter at one or both spots.

Offensive line, however, needs to be the priority. 

Shaq Griffin, Will Hernandez, Ethan Pocic and Andrew Wylie would be an amazing "middling" FA cycle. None of them would break the bank. All are very signable players IF they wanted to come here. And it would really free the draft up to go aggressively at BPA while targeting 1-2 impact players. But one of those positions (CB, LB) could get kicked into 2024 for a true upgrade. Shaq Griffin on a 1 year deal, and a 4th round CB, won't solve our long-term at CB, but it would more than bandaid 2023. 

I suspect we would want to add an impact LB if we don't get a body in FA. But that might be where we ultimately end up having a true hole. But ... not like that hasn't been the case now for the entirety of the Rivera regime, ironically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Keim and Bram on a podcast together and Bram thinks backup veteran QB in the $3-5mil range and he likes LB.  Whether it's Holcomb or someone else but definitely been trying to resign him.  Bram loves Edwards from Buffalo and likes David Long from TN.  They have about $15 mil to spend unless they rearrange some contracts.

Both think they go draft for CB and Oline with those higher picks.  Mentioned if they go after a CB in FA like Griffin, they won't be using the first on CB.

Good discussion on taking a swing at first round talent that have a hard time staying healthy like Wynn or Dillard on a 1 year prove it.

Both agree they won't be free spending and won't be able to fill all the roster holes.

It was a good podcast.  The names if I recall right ? were brought up from Bram and it sounded like it was just opinion on his end.   I was dissappointed that Keim didn't throw a few names to watch out for because with Keim the names he offers are typically names that he's heard they like.

Part of the reason why i think we have a shot that it might be Will Hernandez and Wylie considering Keim mentioned them in his article. 

• Like 2

I, for one, love that this team is going with the low tier and mid tier FA strategy, whether due to financial constraints or otherwise (I just hope they are not too constrained on multiyear deals and guaranteed money)

A repeat of 2020 free agency or even 50% of it would be a big win.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I know we won't be able to "fill all holes" ... we never can.

Our defense is pretty potent but we know the holes. CB and LB. We need bodies at CB and we need an okay starter at LB. Nothing elite, per se, though it would be nice to have a really good starter at one or both spots.

Offensive line, however, needs to be the priority. 

Shaq Griffin, Will Hernandez, Ethan Pocic and Andrew Wylie would be an amazing "middling" FA cycle. None of them would break the bank. All are very signable players IF they wanted to come here. And it would really free the draft up to go aggressively at BPA while targeting 1-2 impact players. But one of those positions (CB, LB) could get kicked into 2024 for a true upgrade. Shaq Griffin on a 1 year deal, and a 4th round CB, won't solve our long-term at CB, but it would more than bandaid 2023. 

I suspect we would want to add an impact LB if we don't get a body in FA. But that might be where we ultimately end up having a true hole. But ... not like that hasn't been the case now for the entirety of the Rivera regime, ironically. 

As Cooley or someone else put it, you don’t need superstars across the OL. You just need at least average to above average at every position

• Like 1