Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was a good podcast.  The names if I recall right ? were brought up from Bram and it sounded like it was just opinion on his end.   I was dissappointed that Keim didn't throw a few names to watch out for because with Keim the names he offers are typically names that he's heard they like.

Part of the reason why i think we have a shot that it might be Will Hernandez and Wylie considering Keim mentioned them in his article. 

Yup, definitely opinion

In a perfect world or in my best nights rest dreaming I’d love to see us sign 

Andy Dalton as back up QB

Mike Gesicki at TE

Orlando Brown at OT

Dalton Risner at OL

David Long at LB

and maybe James Bradberry (but I think he had a career yr solely cause it was his walk season) as he did when with the Giants

• Like 1

One thing I never understand with our commanders is under Rivera we never seem to alter contacts of players, Pushing money into future years llikemost teams do. And then we still seem to be in the bottom half of available cap space. Something wrong somewhere. 

29 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

One thing I never understand with our commanders is under Rivera we never seem to alter contacts of players, Pushing money into future years llikemost teams do. And then we still seem to be in the bottom half of available cap space. Something wrong somewhere. 

They do sometimes, add dummies years at the end of contracts, to get the cap numbers down in year 1, etc. 

But they don't do it any way near as much as some as to pro-rating contracts, I gather its a major function of an owner without good cash flow who uses the team as his own piggy bank.

In the old days when Dan had more money to play with -- he and Cerrato if anything did this too much, they take contracts like Portis' even at the tail end of his career and add years to it, etc to free cap room.

But in short I'd put the point below on Dan not Rivera.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

To me that strategy only makes sense if you think you have a window to contend.  Right now we definitely don't know if we have the QB and other infrastructure in place to contend so it would just handicap ourselves in the future without a big payoff.  Is mortgaging the future for a 10-7 the goal?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Is mortgaging the future for a 10-7 the goal?

If you wanna keep your job, heck yeah.

But I agree the lack of mass restructures is a budget thing. We need to be more focused on spending the money we do throw around better. Wentz was 30 Mil of day 1 dumb.

Edited by FootballZombie

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They do sometimes, add dummies years at the end of contracts, to get the cap numbers down in year 1, etc. 

But they don't do it any way near as much as some as to pro-rating contracts, I gather its a major function of an owner without good cash flow who uses the team as his own piggy bank.

In the old days when Dan had more money to play with -- he and Cerrato if anything did this too much, they take contracts like Portis' even at the tail end of his career and add years to it, etc to free cap room.

But in short I'd put the point below on Dan not Rivera.

There used be a time around these parts what Washington does would’ve been celebrated and considered fiscally responsible. 10 years ago it was popular for the old heads here to say, this isn’t madden, now everyone wants Washington wheel and deal like it’s Madden because the Rams did it. Rams are in shambles currently by the way— fascinated to see how they respond to it all (no way saying it isn’t possible for them to do so). 

If they aren’t near the cap maximum for 2023, I’ll be concerned. Too much home talent to be paid not to be at the max. 

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

To push cap hits into future years you need to convert salary to signing bonus in a lump sum now. So there’s your answer, Snyder isn’t down for doing that anymore and hasn’t been for quite a while as his financial fortunes have turned (or caught up with him, at least). 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wit33 said:

There used be a time around these parts what Washington does would’ve been celebrated and considered fiscally responsible. 10 years ago it was popular for the old heads here to say, this isn’t madden, now everyone wants Washington wheel and deal like it’s Madden because the Rams did it. Rams are in shambles currently by the way— fascinated to see how they respond to it all (no way saying it isn’t possible for them to do so). 

If they aren’t near the cap maximum for 2023, I’ll be concerned. Too much home talent to be paid not to be at the max. 

It’s a balance.  depends on context, poised for a win it all type of season or not?  Cap has gone up quite a bit in recent years, aside from the COViD issue,  so if you are smart you get more bang for your buck to stagger contracts these days if again you are poised to win. If you aren’t poised to win it’s obviously better to wait and bide your time. 

• Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The Rams aren’t the only team to deploy massive cap shenanigans to load up.  Other teams have done it, and didn’t sniff a Super Bowl.

There is more than one way to the promise land.  This team has just continuously taken the wrong route over and over and over again in different capacities for different reasons.

And it’s not all about blowing money in FA or not spending money in FA.  It’s about overall resource mismanagement - losing trades, squandering draft picks, and yes - spending big money on FA’s that don’t produce, who are either overrated, don’t fit or both.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

I don't necessarily want to be a Big Player in Free Agency, I just want to sign good players and not players who are clearly no longer good enough to play in the NFL

It's just disappointing falling further behind the rest of the nfc east for another season. In fact I'm absolutely stunned Rivera still wants to be the coach. He could easily have walked away from the job.

What would be wise is to let EB select who he wants in FA (O related) or draft for his O to work.  Also, I am hoping RR moves off into the sunset as VP of team or front office and allows EB to become our new HC after the season.  It would be a shame to watch our O flourish if it does to have EB for 1 year and then have him move on.  There has to be more to this than just having EB for only a year only to watch him leave, especially if he's (our O) is successful.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

The impact of Dan Snyder. To maneuver cap, you need to switch the money to signing bonus. That requires a large up front cost.

this is yet another symptom of the root cause… Snyder’s cash flow. 

But there are still some here who don’t think he has cash flow issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Several factors, Dan doesn’t have as much cash to throw around, the FO and salary cap is managed by different people now, a slightly more conservative approach is clearly taken.

Plus, what’s going on at the minute is teams making contract moves to simply be cap compliant. You can’t be in negative cap at the start of the new league year. So what you are seeing, ie Tampa, is teams making moves to get out of negative cap.

We have around 16mil in space, and that is already netted down by the 19mil tag against Payne, which I’m not even sure he has signed yet.

Don’t jump off the cliff just yet :)

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 8.02.01 PM.png

Good find. Just looking and he shares the same agent as LB David Long Jr who you posted about a while back.

How does Eluemunor compare stats wise with Cornelius Lucas. These are the subtle changes you could make re cap space. Lucus is due to make upwards of 3.5mil this year, Eluemunor has been playing on vet min 1mil deals. Not sure he’s getting that 5.6mil Market Value APY.

That said I would happily retain Lucas, solid enough especially if the plan is to draft OT.

• Like 1

LB -  Azeez Al-Shaair

"Al-Shaair is in line to get paid as a free agent after teammates Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw find themselves among the 16 highest-paid off-ball linebackers in the NFL.

"Al-Shaair missed a lot of time in 2022 but earned a career-best 67.8 overall grade and 79.7 run-defense grade. It was his first season missing fewer than 10% of his tackle opportunities, and he put up an 86.8 overall grade with seven tackles and two defensive stops during a strong playoff run."

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Good find. Just looking and he shares the same agent as LB David Long Jr who you posted about a while back.

How does Eluemunor compare stats wise with Cornelius Lucas. These are the subtle changes you could make re cap space. Lucus is due to make upwards of 3.5mil this year, Eluemunor has been playing on vet min 1mil deals. Not sure he’s getting that 5.6mil Market Value APY.

That said I would happily retain Lucas, solid enough especially if the plan is to draft OT.

Be nice to see the comparison if someone can post it.  Sounds like he can pass block, not much of that going on in Washington at the moment.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 7.05.02 AM.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 7.05.02 AM.png

Thanks, Elue plays RT a big need and a much better pass blocker and can run block per Nos. Not saying I would keep Lucas over him, it's a passing league now and Howell is going to need all the protection he can get something that's been a after thought here. Price is right.

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Thanks @Skinsinparadisemuch appreciated for posting those. 

Eluemunor looks like a reasonable option for a team in our position. In fairness to Lucas though he is also generally solid. 

Pass blocking key for me, Not saying get rid of Lucas either. But? Both?

• Like 1