Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If guys in that tier are commanding big bucks then the draft is likely were we end up looking - but that’s risky.

I was listening to Joel Corry, ex-agent talk some about FA, he seemed to think OG won't be too expensive in this market.  Who knows we are about to see but the thought is the top 3-4 tackles in FA are supposed to get good money. 

Keim seems to expect a few sort of mid level signings

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Repeating from a previous page:

Jawaan Taylor - 4 / $56

Mike McGlinchey - 4 / $59

Kaleb McGary - 4 / $71

Isaiah Wynn - 5 / $77

Behind Brown those are the 3 best tackles on the market. And Wynn is weird. I hear he’s been terrible and would need to take a one year prove it deal, but that’s a big # from Spotrac. They’re going to make a lot more than we can likely pay …

OT Andrew Wylie - 3 / $14

OG Dalton Risner - 4 / $38

OG Nate Davis - 4 / $29

C Ethan Pocic - 4 / $27

Those are more likely signings this year IMO

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3

Every beat guy I’ve heard on local radio or on Twitter is heavily insinuating that Cosmi is going to be moved to RG. If that’s the case then we definitely need to draft a RT. But if that’s not the case, then it frees us up to address RG and LG in free agency on the cheaper side. And it would mean drafting a LT and possibly moving on from Leno post-draft. You can draft a 1st round OT to play RT for a year but you do not draft a 1st round OT to not play immediately. So if Cosmi is out starting RT then anyone we draft at OT early is going to likely play LT pretty quickly.

I still think Cosmi is gonna be RG meaning you need a RT immediately and that’s likeliest to come from the draft than FA given the market. Unless we get an Andrew Wylie to play RT and draft an OT to compete there and against Leno. 

Center, RT are IMO the priorities. My guess is we’ll retain Norwell or sign someone like Will Hernandez for cheap to compete with Chris Paul at RT. 

Sign Pocic for $8m APY and Wylie for $5m APY. Draft Dawand Jones type to play LT longterm. 

I agree with the tweet below but to be aggressive you need to be smart as for how you go about it and the mindset comes from the top.

I was watching the coverage of the story on NFL network and they mentioned that Ramsey told the Rams, Miami is one of the places he wanted to play for.

As one ex-player said months back when he talks to fellow players about where they want to play no one mentioned Washington 

Not that I wanted Ramsey 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If Taylor is in the $17M a year area I wish him well getting that contract somewhere else. He’s not THAT good.

Yeah, that’s my thing about tackle - to get a clear upgrade over Lucas/Cosmi, we’re probably looking at big time money.  Yes we can structure their contracts in a beneficial way, but (obviously) that leaves the question of how much guaranteed money we’d have to/can afford to set aside.  Cost-wise, we’ve got a better chance at landing a guard, though again, I think it only makes sense if they’re a clear upgrade to Norwell.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Repeating from a previous page:

Jawaan Taylor - 4 / $56

Mike McGlinchey - 4 / $59

Kaleb McGary - 4 / $71

Isaiah Wynn - 5 / $77

Behind Brown those are the 3 best tackles on the market. And Wynn is weird. I hear he’s been terrible and would need to take a one year prove it deal, but that’s a big # from Spotrac. They’re going to make a lot more than we can likely pay …

OT Andrew Wylie - 3 / $14

C Ethan Pocic - 4 / $27

Those are more likely signings this year IMO

Not saying they’re inherently wrong, but Spotrac is pretty clueless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well. 

Ideally yes I’d agree. I do however think the money about to be handed out for those tackles will be significantly more than people are anticipating. 

For me it’s the balance. If we have to buy the narrative of limited funds, do we bring a starting RT in then use one of our top 2 picks on a OT as well ? 

Not sure, will be interesting. I think I’d sway more towards getting 2 IOL in free agency with the clear view to draft OT with our first or second pick. That of course also means moving back out of #16 is on the table.

Either way we all agree the OL needs rebuilt.

• Like 1

The irony about the Grant Paulsen tweet I posted here about how the Dolphins made a big leap last year.

albiet they had the same record as the year before so I gather it just feels like they made a big leap 

No big leap yet but the Dolphins have the hipster narrative working for them with the young coach 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ideally yes I’d agree. I do however think the money about to be handed out for those tackles will be significantly more than people are anticipating. 

For me it’s the balance. If we have to buy the narrative of limited funds, do we bring a starting RT in then use one of our top 2 picks on a OT as well ? 

Not sure, will be interesting. I think I’d sway more towards getting 2 IOL in free agency with the clear view to draft OT with our first or second pick. That of course also means moving back out of #16 is on the table.

Either way we all agree the OL needs rebuilt.

I think our big swing is going to be Powers. Whether he decides to come here or not is a different story. Bienemy + Rivera could ward off some of the “lol Washington” vibes. 

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

It would be dangerous to go into the draft with a need for a starter at OT. No guarantee the board will develop so that than an OT is the value pick in either of the first couple of rounds and after that it starts to get hard to project a pick as a day 1 starter. OT or CB is probably where the value is going to be in the first round but there is a lot that could happen to change that if someone unexpected drops.

Right now I see the line as Leno, ?, ? Cosmi, ?

Roulier and Larsen could play at center (Larsen was actually very good when he played IMO and I would be fine with going in with him as the starter). Paul has potential at LG but you’d want competition for him at a minimum  and that might be Norwell but I think he’s at best a marginal starter these days). Let’s assume they are moving Cosmi to RG.

I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well. 

I couldn't agree more.  Furthermore, there is no good reason it should not be done.  O Line needs to be addressed and can be addressed, with FA and the draft.  Plain and simple.  Not telling you specifically, however I don't want to hear anymore excuses.  It's long overdue and time for action!!  Get it done!!

• Like 1

Wonder if that was Dan being defiant with the sale saying hey I still got some money still.  Or as some suspected and threw out here on the thread including myself maybe Dan doesn't give a rats behind now because he's not the one who will pay the contract.

As far as players sometimes resign here and we sign some FA's, yeah its no a revelation to anyone on the FA thread.   

I think there was a rumor that Curtis Samuel signed here among others, we are aware.   But there is nuance to the point.  It's like the thread about Dan isn't broke, so ha, no cash flow issues!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1