Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Panninho said:

So it's going to be tough to keep Chase and Sweat. Not sure whether I like so much money being tied up in one position but curious about the direction we take with the other two.

So far Allen and Payne have earned it.   So I think we worry about Sweat and Young a bit less at the moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Wrong time to suggest a new kicker ????:)

Eddy Pineiro

Pineiro burst onto the scene for the Carolina Panthers in 2022 as he went 33 of 35 on field goals. He only attempted two from 50-plus yards but he was almost automatic up to that point.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

So far Allen and Payne have earned it.   So I think we worry about Sweat and Young a bit less at the moment. 

Not saying the other two do at this point. Just saying that it is going to be tough to keep them now, regardless of how they perform.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What am interested in is to see how that contract is staggered cap wise, if its a low cap hit in year 1 it could mean good things for another signing.

I’m going to guess a 30-35mil signing bonus, low 2023 salary, year one cap hit 12mil range. Net effect about 7mil back this year.

• Like 1

Just now, NoVaSkins21 said:

Looks like this team's brick wall in the middle is set in stone.  They may keep Sweat and Chase is looking like the odd man out unless he proves himself

To Rivera's credit he kept saying that's what he wants to get done, he said multiple times LTC with Payne and how he regrets he didn't keep the DT tandem in Carolina.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What am interested in is to see how that contract is staggered cap wise, if its a low cap hit in year 1 it could mean good things for another signing.

Allen's 4/72, started at 8 mill hit (a bit less than half the average per year of the deal).  

I don't see Rivera changing the approach that much and would expect 10-12ish for a 7-9mill savings.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m going to guess a 30-35mil signing bonus, low 2023 salary, year one cap hit 12mil range. Net effect about 7mil back this year.

It's a lot of money, right now its being played up as the 2nd highest DT contract but the devil is always in the details, how much if any of it is in incentives, etc.  There is also different types of guaranteed money, forgot the term, but some types are due right away and other types are not.

But one of the main values of getting a deal done in FA is to help the cap and Rivera is in a win now year IMO.

Keim's next podcast should be interesting.  He did say they wanted a LTC with Payne many times.  But he also is firm that he doesn't believe they are going to sign a big FA, he thinks a few mid tier types but he also said he will share if that info has changed as FA approaches.

Keim isn't perfect as for info but he's usually pretty close. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Payne is just entering his prime years. This DL will feast together for the next 5+ years. No excuses to not pay people when you don’t have a QB.

Or when you do have a QB and he's still on his rookie contract for the next 3 years. I'm taking it as another sign that they are serious about rolling with Howell.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

This right here. You pay the guys that earn it. And Payne is the best player on this defense right now. SO glad we signed him. I hope he plays with the same intensity with the new deal. I am sure he will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Sheehan's theory about ownership, hope he's right.  There has been some talk  even with the silly Lamar Jackson rumors that spending is a good sign -- its either not going to be Dan's money or another prospective owner in the mix is encouraging it.  

If I am a new owner I don't want to slow play this next season, I want a hot start 

• Like 2

This is great news.  They kept one of their premier players, and it shows that we’re serious about keeping our homegrown talent.  This move tells me that we definitely will roll with Howell this upcoming season.  It also makes sense to pay Payne from a financial perspective.  If we’re not paying a boatload right now to a franchise QB, why WOULDN’T we pay our premier players? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a lot of money, right now its being played up as the 2nd highest DT contract but the devil is always in the details, how much if any of it is in incentives, etc.  There is also different types of guaranteed money, forgot the term, but some types are due right away and other types are not.

But one of the main values of getting a deal done in FA is to help the cap and Rivera is in a win now year IMO.

Keim's next podcast should be interesting.  He did say they wanted a LTC with Payne many times.  But he also is firm that he doesn't believe they are going to sign a big FA, he thinks a few mid tier types but he also said he will share if that info has changed as FA approaches.

Yeah the 60mil in guaranteed money, perhaps not all of that is fully guaranteed. Either way it’s a great statement.

In terms of free agency, mid tier is fine. There are decent OL options available to us. Couple of 3/4 year 30-40mil deals if possible who lead us into the draft nicely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I generally do a bit more offseason studying and make a list of what I would do and just didn't amp myself up this year trying to limit disappointment.  I must say this does make me wonder if it will be a bit better than expected.  Maybe players are also excited about the sale as well.