Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know about the last paragraph.

Last off-season we signed Wentz. Did he work? No. But the money was spent on the most needed position on the team. He couldn’t say no because it was a trade, so he didn’t have a choice, and they were banking on Indianapolis levels of play at minimum in a year where they thought they absolutely needed a QB. 

The player stunk, the idea was right. But… their hands were tied there a bit, too, as to who wanted to play for this organization (another Snyder issue).

We re-signed McLaurin. That’s a great move.

Then we were completely out of cash and we had to shop in the Wal Mart bargain bins. 

McCain was 2.5 in guarantees/year. 

Roullier is hard to be mad at given how good he was. 

WJ3 was an absolutely abhorrent mistake. 

Norwell was bargain bin. 

I’m not sure how anyone can be mad at Rivera for Fitzpatrick. Unless you are saying he should have traded up for a QB instead of giving Fitz $10M for a year. Which, yes. I agree. Otherwise he got the guy most of us wanted to be our QB and he got hurt after about a drive. 

Same thing can be said for Samuel, really. He was excellent last season but our QB couldn’t get him the ball when the first one was injured and we had the other guy in.

I think Rivera has been a mixed bag on decision making. As a whole, not just in game. He has absolutely made some bad calls. But he is also playing a round of golf with the only club in his bag being a Putt Putt putter. 

Should we have moved up for a QB two years ago? Probably. And he could have done that with no cash considerations so you could potentially say that was his doing.

He has his faults. 

Some would argue not trading up for Fields was a good move. Some wouldn’t. So mileage may vary there.

We drafted Young rather than a QB. I’m hindsight that was an absolute error. But the consensus among absolutely everyone was that was a slam dunk. (if you recall myself and some others were very seriously talking about taking Tu’a but ultimately we almost unanimously decided Young was a better bet because of Tua’s hip injury). I remember I was hoping the Bengals made an unforced error and took Young instead of Burrow. 

We maybe could have traded back but no way of knowing without insider context.

We mishandle assets by holding them and then getting very little ROI under Rivera. That’s absolutely true. And quite frankly it has been for the entire Snyder regime. 

Rivera has made mistakes. That’s not even close to my argument. But he’s forced to make decisions while he is playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter that has 5 loaded rather than one. 

Rivera killed it in year one in FA.  Year 2 wasn't hot IMO.  Year 3 they basically passed on FA because Wentz consumed most of their budget.

Yeah some of it is bad luck, Fitz was durable previously, Rouillier, ditto, etc.

But as you know Rivera doesn't just have the hurdle of Dan's lack of cash flow, he also suffers the burdern of this being the Siberia of the NFL, I get the strong impression listening to people who cover the team that they lost out on FAs they wanted because they didn't want to come here.

Heck even the Wentz deal as bad as it was, Snyder made it worse and big time so because according to some they were willing to pay the steep price because if Wentz was let go, he was unlikely going to sign here.

Rivera has one hand tied behind his back in FA.  FA is hit and miss really for every team.  He's had his share of hits among the misses.

• Like 4

Well I will put forward my mildly realistic outcome for early free agency.

I hope we can get one of the guards on offer, Davis, Powers, Risner. Less concerned at OT if we are going to draft one. Not going to pay a FA tackle 10mil+ APY if that’s the intention. I like Bozeman at C but only if Roullier is done, which is still unknown.

I want a run at Ravens TE Josh Oliver. He’s an underrated player with serious upside.

QB must be cheap. LB in the second wave of FA. 

Unexpected move - Kareem Hunt.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I hope we can get one of the guards on offer, Davis, Powers, Risner. Less concerned at OT if we are going to draft one. Not going to pay a FA tackle 10mil+ APY if that’s the intention. I 

It would be dangerous to go into the draft with a need for a starter at OT. No guarantee the board will develop so that than an OT is the value pick in either of the first couple of rounds and after that it starts to get hard to project a pick as a day 1 starter. OT or CB is probably where the value is going to be in the first round but there is a lot that could happen to change that if someone unexpected drops.

Right now I see the line as Leno, ?, ? Cosmi, ?

Roulier and Larsen could play at center (Larsen was actually very good when he played IMO and I would be fine with going in with him as the starter). Paul has potential at LG but you’d want competition for him at a minimum  and that might be Norwell but I think he’s at best a marginal starter these days). Let’s assume they are moving Cosmi to RG.

I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It would be dangerous to go into the draft with a need for a starter at OT. No guarantee the board will develop so that than an OT is the value pick in either of the first couple of rounds and after that it starts to get hard to project a pick as a day 1 starter. OT or CB is probably where the value is going to be in the first round but there is a lot that could happen to change that if someone unexpected drops.

Right now I see the line as Leno, ?, ? Cosmi, ?

Roulier and Larsen could play at center (Larsen was actually very good when he played IMO and I would be fine with going in with him as the starter). Paul has potential at LG but you’d want competition for him at a minimum  and that might be Norwell but I think he’s at best a marginal starter these days). Let’s assume they are moving Cosmi to RG.

I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well. 

If you're moving Cosmi to RG, wouldn't you be looking for a OT in the draft in Rd 1 or 2? 

Just now, RWJ said:

If you're moving Cosmi to RG, wouldn't you be looking for a OT in the draft in Rd 1 or 2? 

You’d be looking for an OT. My argument is if you know you need a starter at RT you have to look to address that need in free agency - risky to go into the draft picking where we are needing to draft a tackle who can start day 1. No guarantee that guy is still there when we pick in the first and reaching almost always bites you in the ass. If you don’t pick one in the first there are a couple of guys who should be in the 2nd round range who you could project as starters but they come with question marks and they also could be gone before we pick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You’d be looking for an OT. My argument is if you know you need a starter at RT you have to look to address that need in free agency - risky to go into the draft picking where we are needing to draft a tackle who can start day 1. No guarantee that guy is still there when we pick in the first and reaching almost always bites you in the ass. If you don’t pick one in the first there are a couple of guys who should be in the 2nd round range who you could project as starters but they come with question marks and they also could be gone before we pick.

Wynn or Dillard at OT in FA or maybe Wylie from KC who is familiar with EB and his system?  Who would you recommend as a FA pickup in FA.  We are limited with $$$ in FA, at least that what Kiem and others are reporting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wynn or Dillard at OT in FA or maybe Wylie from KC who is familiar with EB and his system?  Who would you recommend as a FA pickup in FA.  We are limited with $$$ in FA, at least that what Kiem and others are reporting. 

McGary or Jawaan Taylor maybe? McGlinchey, Brown and even Conklin will be too expensive. Wylie will no doubt be linked to us because of EB and his familiarity with him, I’m not sure he is that much of an upgrade on Leno who is solid and a very good swing guy.

Sorry, my quick post turned into an exposition, lol

Post-season, in terms of what we needed to address before heading into the draft - filling holes so you’re less desperate/reliant on nailing the draft:  linebacker, G, C, T, corner, and QB.  

One could argue for DE (w/ Obada a FA), Wr (particularly a larger one w/ Cam Sims a FA).  Always a chance we trade Payne and therefore might want another value DT added prior to the draft, though the staff seems adamant on keeping him.  Safety is a bit different in that we’ve got 2 quality starters, an interesting depth guy with potential (Butler), so it’s more about depth than a temporary starter or competition.  TE is a bit like our LG position - we have replacement level guys, we have an ok starter, we have guys with potential.  I’d be a little surprised if we spent money here, but seems to me we either bring in a clear starting caliber guy (to replace Thomas) or look to the draft to add to our pool of potential.  Or roll with what we have.

Knowing we’re likely not landing any top notch FA upgrades (though we’ll see)…

LB - re-signed Mayo

Corner - I thought Danny Johnson came on strong last year and would probably look to re-sign him.  Helps that he‘s versatile and knows the D.

T - In my mind, Lucas is your replacement level, can be your starter while you prepare a rook type.  Obviously Cosmi can fill that role as well (and maybe more) if the draft doesn’t work out.  If it does, he moves inside.

G and C - if Roullier’s truly returning, I don’t think you need that fill-in guy there (though depth would help), and Norwell does the same (on a slightly lesser level) at G.  IMO, returning Schweitzer makes a lot of sense, giving you depth across all 3 IOL spots.

QB - I think we’re probably mostly all on the same page here - sign a cheap vet and look to the 5th-7th rounds, UDFA, or FA (ala Fromm) for a developmental 3rd stringer.

WR/DE/DT - maybe we dabble in FA, maybe we just wait to see how the draft shakes out.

S - re-signing Reaves is the no-brainer move.  If that doesn’t work out for some reason, I think you look to the draft and then late stage FA as a last resort.

TE - I think they stand pat in FA.  Hope Thomas is healthier, hope one (or more) of the young guys makes a jump.

The one problem I see with that plan is it doesn’t really upgrade the OL and in theory puts a lot of pressure on drafting one or more quality linemen.  With that said, a healthy Roullier, and Cosmi getting an offseason at G can/should make a difference.  Paul has a year under his belt, and we should be able to find a quality tackle in the draft.  Either a G/C or one of each in the draft should help the competition level at LG and potentially net us our C of the future (who serves as depth in the short term).  If we do pay out a larger (decent-sized) FA contract this season, I’d assume it’s for a guard or tackle… but they have to be (IMO) a clear upgrade over Norwell/Lucas.

Would make for an underwhelming FA cycle, but most of our holes would be filled (uh….), we’re not spending much, and we’re mostly relying on guys we already know.  A risk averse plan that opens up the draft for us.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

McGary or Jawaan Taylor maybe? McGlinchey, Brown and even Conklin will be too expensive. Wylie will no doubt be linked to us because of EB and his familiarity with him, I’m not sure he is that much of an upgrade on Leno who is solid and a very good swing guy.

Your last line in the post I responded to:  "I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well." I don't think we will sign a quality OT or OG due to $$$$ constraints (Snyder) in FA .  Only way to get quality without spending is the draft. We wait and see what happens. 

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I could see them signing a tackle, but in my mind Lucas and Cosmi already fit that role of adequate starter that you’d like to upgrade (ie, backup plan for if the draft doesn’t break your way to land a starting OT).

On the other hand, signing a good tackle allows Cosmi to move and helps if we move on from Leno next year.  Makes for an expensive tackle pairing, but it’s probably just for one year and you could structure the contract with a cheaper first year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Your last line in the post I responded to:  "I think we have to sign a quality starting caliber tackle in free agency at a minimum and ideally a guard as well." I don't think we will sign a quality OT or OG due to $$$$ constraints (Snyder) in FA .  Only way to get quality without spending is the draft. We wait and see what happens. 

McGary or Taylor would be upgrades and are ‘quality calibre starting RT’s” IMO. Not All Pros who will dominate maybe, but quality starters. It does remain to see what their market is and it might be a lot higher than I am thinking it will be of course. We will see 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

McGary or Taylor would be upgrades and are ‘quality calibre starting RT’s” IMO. Not All Pros who will dominate maybe, but quality starters. It does remain to see what their market is and it might be a lot higher than I am thinking it will be of course. We will see 🙂

I'd take McGary in a heartbeat but still don't think we pursue because of limitation I've mentioned.  Taylor is also going to command big bucks. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I could see them signing a tackle, but in my mind Lucas and Cosmi already fit that role of adequate starter that you’d like to upgrade (ie, backup plan for if the draft doesn’t break your way to land a starting OT).

On the other hand, signing a good tackle allows Cosmi to move and helps if we move on from Leno next year.  Makes for an expensive tackle pairing, but it’s probably just for one year and you could structure the contract with a cheaper first year.

If we sign a RT to a decent sized deal and then the draft lands just right and we sign a day 1 starter who slots in at LT we could always look to trade Leno at some point - you’d think he could start for a number of teams at LT. Not saying we would get a huge value for him but we could get his contract off the books - wed save about $8M if he was a post June 1 cut/trade.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am reading as to Jawan Taylor, the national media is expecting a big contract.  Ditto T. Edmonds.

If guys in that tier are commanding big bucks then the draft is likely were we end up looking - but that’s risky.