Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I was joking obviously. But Gates had to go. He might be the worst FA signing by this team in the last 20 years. I would have kept Leno. At least until you had a replacement in place. But whatever. 

Gates is by far the worst FA signing of the last 20 years.  I don't want to go through the list.  But gates probably isn't approaching the top 10.

Don't forget, in the last 20 years you have 2004-2009, to include the abysmal 2006 off-season included.  You'd have guys like Archuletta, Albert Haynesworth, etc. on that list.

If you want to shorten to the Ron Rivera Era, I think he'd be in the top 5, but I think WJIII was the worst FA signing of that regime, for the money, blown evaluation, and total lack of production.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Gates is by far the worst FA signing of the last 20 years.  I don't want to go through the list.  But gates probably isn't approaching the top 10.

Don't forget, in the last 20 years you have 2004-2009, to include the abysmal 2006 off-season included.  You'd have guys like Archuletta, Albert Haynesworth, etc. on that list.

If you want to shorten to the Ron Rivera Era, I think he'd be in the top 5, but I think WJIII was the worst FA signing of that regime, for the money, blown evaluation, and total lack of production.  

They paid Gates almost a million per game started last year. He was an epic bust. Especially considering the salary of a top flight center. Archuletta. WJ3 and even Haynesworth at least played for a full season after being signed. 

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

They paid Gates almost a million per game started last year. He was an epic bust. Especially considering the salary of a top flight center. Archuletta. WJ3 and even Haynesworth at least played for a full season after being signed. 

Archuletta didn't last 5 games before he was turned into a punt protector.

I get the recency bias and emotional toll watching Gates play last year has taken.  

But an objective look, he's bad, but he's far from the worst.  

• Thumb up 1

Thought we could have gotten something for Leno in a trade. Not much, but maybe something.

Surprised they cut Gates. Not much cap benefit, either short or long term, to doing so. They must think he is completely useless. Wonder if there were locker room issues or something. Or a contract clause we don't know about. 

Wylie makes much more sense to cut, cap wise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With the salary cap going up so much and every team having more $$$ to spend I would think more agents will go this route with their free agents. Why sign with team A when you haven't discovered your value with every other team? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They could cut Wylie. I don't know if they will or won't, but they could.  He's going to count $9.4m against the cap if they keep him, he'd have a dead cap hit of $7.8m if they cut him. 

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but Wylie isn't nearly as bad as fans want to think he is.  And the local media wants to project he is.  He's not great.  But he's not a dumpster fire.  Arguably his biggest issue is he picks the absolute worst moment to make critical mistakes.

My bet is they will keep him and see what he can do, because the cap savings by cutting him won't fund a replacement, whereas with both Thomas and Leno, the cap savings could definitely fund a replacement.

They could also give him a look at left guard, though he's never played on the left side.

They could also cut him.

I think, to the despair of many, he's going to stick around, at least through training camp.  I DO NOT think he's going to be penciled in as the starter anywhere though.  I think he'll be competing for a roster spot/playing time. 

image.png.1261733de799e2ca95426246f5bbee8a.png

I agree with you. It makes no sense to cut Wylie this offseason. When your net cap by keeping him is $1.6M, it is a no brainer to keep him around at least one more year and, at the very minimum, have him be your sixth offensive lineman. He's the perfect guy to have as your starting LG or RT for the first 5-6 games until your rookie 2nd or 3rd round lineman is ready to replace him, especially given how light this year's FA OL class is.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I like Mark in general.

But let me 'splain something to Mark: just because Bobby Johnson coached Gates in New York doesn't mean he wants to do it again in Washington.  

All the dot connectors sometimes fail to realize, just because 2 people worked together in any capacity, that doesn't mean it went well or they want to do it again.

Sometimes it means "damn, I'm glad that's over I'll never do it again. 

It is telling that they just let Gates come to us for not a meaningful amount of money

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Plus Wylie is pure ****e. Everyone on this forum predicted that when he was signed.

That is not remotely true. Most people were really excited about Wylie being signed and I took a ton of heat for calling him trash.

I even posted videos of him being trash and not getting the holding calls and everyone called me an Eagles homer and said I was wrong.

One poster (z) even said he should have been the MVP of the superbowl.