Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But now instead of having a serviceable LT to protect the rookie QBs blind side, we have a gaping hole as we enter the offseason, and will need a premium asset (high priced FA or high draft pick) to fill it.

It is tough to bank on a rookie 2nd round pick to step in as a starting LT too, even in a tackle class as deep as this one. FA is weak for tackles. Maybe there is a sleeper they like in FA like a Josh Jones or Yosh Nijman, they love a Patrick Paul or they splurge on Tyron Smith

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Cutting Leno saves 8 mil n burns 7 mil

Oline is a complete wasteland outside of Cosmi now.

LT just became our 2nd biggest need behind QB. Gotta go top shelf in FA in my opinion, even if its an overpay.

Only guy is Tyron Smith who we could get due to the DQ connection but the guy misses so much time

15 minutes ago, method man said:

I'm a bit surprised. A tradeback may be on the table to get a LT but who is out there who could step in? I don't think Tyron Smith is the move. Trent Brown is affordable and solid but he is a headcase

Tyron Smith is who I've been saying for a while. He's older, better, but injury prone. It'd be nice to draft a OT that can play LG.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But now instead of having a serviceable LT to protect the rookie QBs blind side, we have a gaping hole as we enter the offseason, and will need a premium asset (high priced FA or high draft pick) to fill it.

I’m sure Messrs Peters and Quinn will have thought about that and will have a plan of attack.

I for one won’t miss Charles Leno

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Conn said:

That’s surprising, just because he’s one of the only solid pieces on the line. Now we have Cosmi and nothing. We’ll be adding a lot, obviously.

Does that open up cap space? I wonder if they thought his health was only going to get less reliable as he ages 

So, cap hit was going to be $15m.  It's now down to $8m dead cap.  So they save $7m on the cap.  Which is not a trivial savings.  

I think they thought he was going to be less reliable, he needs surgery, and he's absolutely not worth $15m on the cap. 

We'll never hear this for sure, but I wouldn't be remotely shocked if they went to him for a restructure of some shape or form to lower his salary and spread the cap hit a bit, and he turned them down.  And then they cut him.  

They could not bring him back on that number.  

image.png.0931e3b6838c7c3957f2c8f69b04c5a5.png

I don't think this does anything in terms of the draft, FWIW.  We're going to stick at 2 and pick a QB.  We're not trading down to pick a LT at the expense of drafting a blue-chip QB prospect at #2.

I don't think it's "opens" a hole at LT.  I think the hole was there to begin with, especially with Leno's age and the fact he's going to have to have hip surgery.   So, they're cutting him now, getting the savings, and he can be signed in FA by another team for a lesser deal.  Assuming he comes back healthy, he's still very "ok" for a LT.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they re-signed Lucas.  Even if just for depth.  He's not a bad swing tackle, even given his age.  

I'm sue they have some type of a plan at LT. Not sure what it is just yet, but they're going to have to do something.  

• Like 3

My guess is that either Peter's knows of a left tackle we can get or Quinn knows of a decent tackle we can get.

Knowing Leno was going to have hip surgery and the money we would have to pay him if we kept him probably made releasing him

an easy decision for the front office to make.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

My guess is that either Peter's knows of a left tackle we can get or Quinn knows of a decent tackle we can get.

Knowing Leno was going to have hip surgery and the money we would have to pay him if we kept him probably made releasing him

an easy decision for the front office to make.

"...either Peter's knows of a left tackle we can get or Quinn knows of a decent tackle we can get..."

Agreed.

Based on everything I know about how Peters and Quinn operate there's no way they make this move without a concrete succession plan that includes multiple alternatives.

Blind side tackle is too critical a position to leave to chance.

• Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, Conn said:

That’s surprising, just because he’s one of the only solid pieces on the line. Now we have Cosmi and nothing. We’ll be adding a lot, obviously.

Does that open up cap space? I wonder if they thought his health was only going to get less reliable as he ages 

if you actually watched him play.. calling him ever mediocre is a reach. and since he is about to have hip surgery its an easy decision 

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The big thing is if we trade Allen. But I think Quinn is gonna wanna rebuiild our D around him and Payne. 

Are there any stud OLTs who are signed but underpaid?

Reason I ask is it looks like we are trying to increase our already league leading salary cap space.

Why?

Perhaps we are planning to trade Allen (or draft picks/other players)  for a star left tackle and give him a big contract extension.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Is a trade down coming?

More likely would be a trade up that combines one of our 2nd round and one of our 3rd round picks so we can move into the bottom half of the first round.

• Like 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Are there any stud OLTs who are signed but underpaid?

Reason I ask is it looks like we are trying to increase our already league leading salary cap space.

Why?

Perhaps we are planning to trade Allen for a star left tackle and give him a big contract extension.

Stud LTs dont really hit the open market. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Stud LTs dont really hit the open market. 

True, which is why it would have to be a trade for a disgruntled player looking for a big payday that his current team doesn't want to give.

Something akin to the Larry Tunsil and Trent Williams situations.