Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

8 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Peters was clear that he was setting expectations

This may be the year to remove bad debt from the balance sheet. Wylie, Gates, and Thomas account for $15M in dead cap, I dont see us cutting Leno because that's another $8.3M in dead money but it's doable without deferring.

We can absorb all of Ron's bad contracts and have a ton of available cap for next year. I do think the FO can be swayed by the right player and we have the means to absorb the bad debt and make a move or two. If we somehow come across a 25-27 yr old free agent who just hit his peak or is playing at a high level and has upside I could see them opening up the checkbook because it fits with the plan.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am good with not blowing it all this off season start building and iif it looks good, go more aggressive next off season

That’s a bit misleading isn’t it. We don’t have 90mil to spend, rather 90mil in 2024 cap space. In cash terms we are about to blow a damn sight more that’s 90mil in my option. Quinn is fired up. 

Jonnu Smith is very intriguing for TE. He’s been on my radar in previous free agency periods.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s a bit misleading isn’t it. We don’t have 90mil to spend, rather 90mil in 2024 cap space. In cash terms we are about to blow a damn sight more that’s 90mil in my option. Quinn is fired up. 

Jonnu Smith is very intriguing for TE. He’s been on my radar in previous free agency periods.

I listend to the segment with Peters.  What Peters said and Grant's reaction were two entirely different things as to my interpretation.

Peters basically said they can't spend all of that (implying rookie salary) and won't.  And he didn't ridicule the idea of bargin basement signings.  So Grant apparently clung to those 2 points alone.

But he also said in that same segment, high end players signings are also in play.  He also said multiple times they want to field a competitive team THIS year.  

So to me it was pretty balanced.  I wouldn't expect Peters to say, Grant we are going to go nuts and sign only top end FAs, no one on the cheap.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mine too when the Pats signed him. He should be on their interest list as a vet TE FA which feels like a must this year. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listend to the segment with Peters.  What Peters said and Grant's reaction were two enirely different things as to my interpretation.

Peters basically said they can't spend all of that (implying rookie salary) and won't.  And he didn't ridicule the idea of bargin basement signings.  So Grant apparently clung to those 2 points alone.

But he also said in that same segment, high end players signings are also in play.  He also said multiple times they want to field a competitive team THIS year.  

So to me it was pretty balanced.  I wouldn't expect Peters to say, Grant we are going to go nuts and sign only top end FAs, no one on the cheap.

I am expecting a number of signings that fit in the middle of the bargin basement and top end talent to allow them more players fitting their wants on both sides and ST capable.

It is a shame the staff wasn't able to be put togather until so late. The good thing is they all have such knowledge and experience that it should make for a great off season reboot!

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Quinn seems fairly clear on our level of intent too. Free agency is going to be fun I reckon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinn on the Junkies right now…..Suggesting he can get more out of some of the players on this roster

I think both you and I could get more out of some of the players on the roster than the previous crew did :rofl89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think both you and I could get more out of some of the players on the roster than the previous crew did :rofl89:

Agree.  We can probably give the team a pep talk too when they are getting boat raced by the Bears.

When Nicki from the WP said after that Bears game the team was flat as to that locker room for the rest of the season -- that was telling as heck -- the lack of energy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  We can probably give the team a pep talk too when they are getting boat raced by the Bears.

When Nicki from the WP said after that Bears game the team was flat as to that locker room for the rest of the season -- that was telling as heck -- the lack of energy.

In a normal year Rivera gets fired after that game. But Im glad Harris kept him. Ensured the tank. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We aren't going to go land the top Free Agent for like $25-30m. They way I read all this, and expect it to play out, is invest where we need upgrades. Invest big where it's a priority (OL?).

So I would expect a premier OL signing. I would expect a premier LB signing. I would expect a pretty decent addition at DE. 

Then I would anticipate several (3-6) signings that fall in that $3-6m APY range on 1-2 year deals. 

So if I had to play it out / guestimate:

LB Patrick Queen ($14m Per Year)

OT Jonah Williams ($12m Per Year)

DE Dorance Armstrong ($4m per year)

DE Dante Fowler ($3m per year)

S Jayron Kearse ($6m per year)

TE Noah Fant ($6m per year)

CB TBD Veteran ($4m per year)

I suppose you could swap Armstrong for a higher paid FA like Huff, but I have a feeling htis FO would prefer to bring in guys that are good roll players and draft where they can and DE is such an important spot, we have 2 young guys, I would think Armstrong/Folwer + a 2nd or 3rd round rookie would be enough for 2024. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont like signing Queen. He and Davis are redundant. We need a MLB leader type.

And Id rather sign a G and draft a T. LG was a huge black hole for us and there are some real good FA Gs.

Well, FWIW, I think we need 2 OTs long-term. And I see a signing of a RT kicking Wylie to LG to compete with a rookie Guard. 

LT: Leno + 2nd Round Pick

LG: Wylie + 2nd to 3rd Round pick

OC: Stromberg, Gates

RG: Cosmi, Paul

RT: FA RT + Daniels

Perfect world? All things align for us?

LT: Tyler Guyton (R), Charles Leno

LG: Graham Barton (R), Andrew Wylie

OC: Ricky Stromberg, Nick Gates, Will Putman (R)

RG: Sam Cosmi, Chris Paul

RT: Mike Onwenu, Braeden Daniels

This sets you up long and short term. You could release Leno OR  keep everyone around to see how camp shakes out or even through 2024 and let the rookies get eased in. But going forward, you're locked and loaded across the OL and you can release and completely move on from Wylie, Leno and Gates after 2024. 

LT: Guyton

LG: Barton

OC: Stromberg, Putnam

LG: Cosmi, Paul

RT: Onwenu, Daniels

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

OL really is going to be a tricky one to fix. Hopefully a couple of cuts from other teams happen pre free agency.

I think 2024 will be a transition year. And I do not expect us to fix the holes in one off-season even with the cap space and draft picks. We'll have holes and depth issues. We have to pick our poison a bit. But I think fixing the OL will be a priority. Rookie OL will struggle early. I would expect we get one premier OL (RT) and another mid-tier type to come in and compete at either LG or C. Then draft an OT and IOL in Rounds 2 and 3. It'll be a bit piece-mealed but I think in the end it'll work out as the rookies settle in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think 2024 will be a transition year. And I do not expect us to fix the holes in one off-season even with the cap space and draft picks. We'll have holes and depth issues. We have to pick our poison a bit. But I think fixing the OL will be a priority. Rookie OL will struggle early. I would expect we get one premier OL (RT) and another mid-tier type to come in and compete at either LG or C. Then draft an OT and IOL in Rounds 2 and 3. It'll be a bit piece-mealed but I think in the end it'll work out as the rookies settle in.

It will be a transition year in some respect, but not to that great an extent. I think we’re going all in. Getting a couple of OL in the draft in viable, free agency I’m less encouraged at the minute.

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

OL really is going to be a tricky one to fix. Hopefully a couple of cuts from other teams happen pre free agency.

Alot less likely to happen with the salary cap being jumped up so much.  That definitely hurt us more than helped us.  Hopefully the smart people in the room can use that jump to our advantage to maybe restructure, or front load a couple contracts.

Edited by Lovi

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinn on the Junkies right now, he's a fun listen.  Suggesting he can get more out of some of the players on this roster

We are about to pick #2 overall. So its hard to get worse.

Seriously without hyperbole I think we had the worst coaching staff in the league last season, especially on defense. The bar has been set very low.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It will be a transition year in some respect, but not to that great an extent. I think we’re going all in. Getting a couple of OL in the draft in viable, free agency I’m less encouraged at the minute.

There are some options in free agency on O'line. But its a sellers market so they will cost. 

Onwenu from the Patriots at RT is a big upgrade on Wylie plus maybe Robert Hunt at G from the Dolphins (he played some T but mainly RG - he could plug in at LG for us). Both are a good age with a lot of football left. 

But once you get past the top 4 or 5 options you are quickly into guys on the back end of their career or JAGS.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

There are some options in free agency on O'line. But its a sellers market so they will cost. 

Onwenu from the Patriots at RT is a big upgrade on Wylie plus maybe Robert Hunt at G from the Dolphins (he played some T but mainly RG - he could plug in at LG for us). Both are a good age with a lot of football left. 

But once you get past the top 4 or 5 options you are quickly into guys on the back end of their career or JAGS.

I probably look at one OL in free agency, being the best we can get our hands on. 

After that, take stock for the draft. 

• Like 1