Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

yeah, I'm kind of surprised by the number of multi round mocks that have us splitting our early picks between O and D fairly evenly with an Edge rusher one of our most common second picks

Look at Dallas last year. Their vaunted feared defense was... useless at crunch time. Our D was supposed to be top 10 or whatever fantasy we cooked up. Coaching seems as important as personnel if not more.

At the end of the day teams need to score and you cannot count on the defense for that.

• Thumb down 1

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Look at Dallas last year. Their vaunted feared defense was... useless at crunch time. Our D was supposed to be top 10 or whatever fantasy we cooked up. Coaching seems as important as personnel if not more.

At the end of the day teams need to score and you cannot count on the defense for that.

Defense now is all about turnovers. Getting your offense/QB more chances is all that matters with the modern NFL rules.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Whats wrong with Hunter Henry? If he doesn't break the bank I think he'd be fine to pair with a rookie QB for at least a year or two. Still only 29 years old and gets himself open. What are your concerns?

Likely just $$$ and age. I would say he under performed his contract but predict he will still be looking for top dollar. I think we can only expect 45 for 500 5 TDs from him.... I like other names but something I am not sure of is his blocking.  Sure he was been stuck in NE so his numbers are meh but he impressed me 5 years ago. Not recently.

And he can't play QB in a pinch /s

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Defense now is all about turnovers. Getting your offense/QB more chances is all that matters with the modern NFL rules.

We are living proof throwing picks at defense still wont get those pesky hard to get turnovers nor lead to a dominant D, nor wins. 

A solid DC can make an average D sufficient simply by being unpredictable. Dial up a blitz the OC hasnt seen with the game on the line. Something our DCs of the past 2+ decades have refused to try despite only 1 playoff win.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Sounds good on the surface but at least with Sweat, we have a top 15 pass rusher. No guarantee the younger players you replace him with will be any good.

It’s not just cost. It was also part of a tank. A few big splash plays from Sweat and Chase and we are picking 5th or 6th with no guarantee of a shot at a top QB. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It's that and 3rd down defense. Which is wildly inconsistent from season to season. So both turnovers and 3rd down defense suddenly spiking up can create some fluky out of nowhere defenses that fall back to earth the next season.

It's really rare to have a defense that's Legion of the Boom caliber and Top 3 for multiple years in a row. So rare that building for it does seem kind of fruitless.

I'll also say that this year's Chiefs defense was one of the best in the league, and their best defensive players were drafted with the 21st, 37th, and 138th overall picks.

Legion of Booms best players were drafted 14th, 47th, 133rd, and 154th.

For defense you really need more swings at it. Then the right scheme and coaching that elevates all the guys you took a swing at. This year's DPOY was won by the 1st overall pick, but he was competing against the 30th overall pick.

Sorry, I sort of rambled there. Point is defense is volatile and fickle.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Whitt Jr has reiterated this point hasn’t he. The ball is life, in his words.

• Like 2

So Evan’s and Higgens very likely off the market. With the cap going up we will likely see a lot of these tempting WRs get signed like Michael Pittman. Someone like Boyd may be our best bet.

3 hours ago, mh86 said:

So Evan’s and Higgens very likely off the market. With the cap going up we will likely see a lot of these tempting WRs get signed like Michael Pittman. Someone like Boyd may be our best bet.

WR isn't a pressing need IMO.  Sure, I'd like to add a WR, but our money must be devoted to the OL and edge positions.  Heck, we might resign Curtis if it comes to it.  CB frankly isn't deep in FA, but it might be a code red position as well.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

There are a number of good FA players that would fit nicely in Washington but 30 and over.

It will be interesting to see how the analytics guys, team needs and wants marry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mh86 said:

If it is not a proven big X, no thank you on spending FA $ on a starter. Grab a guy in the draft then

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Was just watching the Jerry rice 30 and he grew up catching bricks.

I played WR and DB growing up—this is not a joke, growing up working on my dad’s job sites, during breaks he would throw us dirt clods to teach us “soft hands”, the catch didn’t count if the clod broke apart 

Anyone who’s spent time at new construction job sites where they haven’t spread around the top soil yet will know exactly the clods I’m talking about 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, Koolblue13 said:

If we sign Jackson then we better draft a center early. Putting a rookie center between two vet guards would be good. 

I wouldn’t entirely forget about Stromberg.

Stromboli had some fans before he was drafted, and he was drafted into a no win position.  But I’d like to see what he can do. Also, he was drafted in the third, and a center drafted in the third should be a projected starter in year 2 or 3….

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I played WR and DB growing up—this is not a joke, growing up working on my dad’s job sites, during breaks he would throw us dirt clods to teach us “soft hands”, the catch didn’t count if the clod broke apart 

Anyone who’s spent time at new construction job sites where they haven’t spread around the top soil yet will know exactly the clods I’m talking about 

Growing up in Virginia Beach we had dirt clod wars on those new construction sites. Them clods hurt like hell if theys got a rock or two in em. 🤣

There was a giant dirt hill in my neighborhood from the various construction sites. Made a excellent battleground. 

• Like 5

On 2/24/2024 at 9:44 AM, RandyHolt said:

I want Michael Pittman.

Oh and Mike Evans.

Taking a QB we CANNOT **** around and keep throwing all our top picks at the defense. Support the man. Lets not bother with the "a great defense is a great offense"

I am happy with any of the top FA TEs but not Hunter. 

I would ****ing love to get pittman

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I would ****ing love to get pittman

It sounds like a stacked class at WR. I think I'd prefer to draft someone in R2 or R3 to grow with the rookie. We already have the established vet (McLaurin) and potential breakout (Dotson) ... and adding a WR early would be smart roster construction. I actually think we could double-tap WR ... one in R2 and one in R4/5. Just load up on the youth on offense. I'd rather go that route and let them all grow together than drop $25m on Pittman, even if we can afford it. 

I can see the value in giving a rookie QB a stable of proven veteran options, but we have 1.5 of those already (giving Dotson a half since he fell off this year - I blame coaching not the player). I think it would behoove us to add 1-2 rookies to grow with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2