Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Suggesting he can get more out of some of the players on this roster

A head of lettuce could get more out of these players than Ron ever did. Quinn will go way beyond "more" imo. He will make a couple of these guys pro bowl level players. 

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We aren't going to go land the top Free Agent for like $25-30m. They way I read all this, and expect it to play out, is invest where we need upgrades. Invest big where it's a priority (OL?).

So I would expect a premier OL signing. I would expect a premier LB signing. I would expect a pretty decent addition at DE. 

Then I would anticipate several (3-6) signings that fall in that $3-6m APY range on 1-2 year deals. 

So if I had to play it out / guestimate:

LB Patrick Queen ($14m Per Year)

OT Jonah Williams ($12m Per Year)

DE Dorance Armstrong ($4m per year)

DE Dante Fowler ($3m per year)

S Jayron Kearse ($6m per year)

TE Noah Fant ($6m per year)

CB TBD Veteran ($4m per year)

I suppose you could swap Armstrong for a higher paid FA like Huff, but I have a feeling htis FO would prefer to bring in guys that are good roll players and draft where they can and DE is such an important spot, we have 2 young guys, I would think Armstrong/Folwer + a 2nd or 3rd round rookie would be enough for 2024. 

I would almost guarantee prices for "mid range" guys are going to be way higher than that with the bump in salary cap. If you want players the price went up this year.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont like signing Queen. He and Davis are redundant. We need a MLB leader type.

And Id rather sign a G and draft a T. LG was a huge black hole for us and there are some real good FA Gs.

I am with you. C is a priority as well imo. We were bad in the middle of the line last year. I keep saying it but Biadasz is a key FA if I am the one doing the signing. Hurt your division opponent and get a great player as well. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I probably look at one OL in free agency, being the best we can get our hands on. 

After that, take stock for the draft. 

Thats probably right - but I would love to add two quality starter in free agency. You never know how the draft board will fall.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am good with not blowing it all this off season start building and iif it looks good, go more aggressive next off season

100%. My ideal approach would be to sign a couple of higher-priced guys, with it being young guys. Give them more in roster bonuses, giving more cap flexibility in future years. Then sign a couple of cheaper guys who are sleeper types.  

• Like 3

So THere was talk earlier of maybe getting a Taller WR to take some pressure inside off Terry and Jahan.

What amt Marquez Valdes-Scantling, I think he's not yet 30, but at 6'4, He could be the big boddy a Kingsburry Play book could really use to shake things up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39615740/source-chiefs-release-marquez-valdes-scantling-save-12m

Reportedly chiefs did this to save 12 mil on the cap.  We could easily pick that up, and extend him for a few years, allowing us to then focus on the best available WR in the draft, and then decide on the futures of Terry/Jahan, etc..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, redskinss said:

I just watched the Adam peters press conference start to finish.

One thing that struck me as odd was when he was referencing lance newmark he talked about how they've never worked together but are good friends and spent years helping each other with scouting and that he was his "north star" at times in regards to scouting. I'm paraphrasing a little because I don't remember the exact wording.

Does it seem unusual to anyone else that two guys from different teams would help each other out so much in terms of scouting or am I reading too much I to that?

I know the league is a big brotherhood and they all have relationships all over the league but does that seem a bit excessive?

You should watch the Eastwood film 'handling the curve'.  I know its about Baseball, but the principals in scouting likely are similar in many ways.

7 minutes ago, Veretax said:

So THere was talk earlier of maybe getting a Taller WR to take some pressure inside off Terry and Jahan.

What amt Marquez Valdes-Scantling, I think he's not yet 30, but at 6'4, He could be the big boddy a Kingsburry Play book could really use to shake things up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39615740/source-chiefs-release-marquez-valdes-scantling-save-12m

Reportedly chiefs did this to save 12 mil on the cap.  We could easily pick that up, and extend him for a few years, allowing us to then focus on the best available WR in the draft, and then decide on the futures of Terry/Jahan, etc..

And search failed me on this, i did look to see if it was posted before I shared this, I'm not saying MVS is the best Receiver available in FA that we could add, but barring the injury history, has had some pretty good impacts in KC and GB.

Its interesting ,looking at MVS's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

image.thumb.png.b74db674e9fb7fc53b8c15341087b8eb.png

For the record, I wasn't proposing him as a replacement for our #2, but perhaps a better fit at the opposite side of the field from Terry, allowing Dotson to be in the slot on either side (or for them to switch.  I think he was injured a bit last year though, and KC had a number of WRs and tended to feede Travis Kelcey a ton.

Edited by Veretax

If we are looking for a bigger X type receiver (and we should be) I'd look at Michael Pittman from the Colts. He is 26 and suffered through some bad QBs. He's 6' 4" 223 coming off a 100 catch 1100 yard season. He will want starting WR money though.

I would think he's going to get tagged if the Colts cant agree an extension.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If we are looking for a bigger X type receiver (and we should be) I'd look at Michael Pittman from the Colts. He is 26 and suffered through some bad QBs. He's 6' 4" 223 coming off a 100 catch 1100 yard season. He will want starting WR money though.

I really want him and Noah Fant

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

You should watch the Eastwood film 'handling the curve'.  I know its about Baseball, but the principals in scouting likely are similar in many ways.

Trouble with the Curve. A very random movie that I very randomly was thinking about yesterday for some reason and then you post this.

16 hours ago, Veretax said:

And search failed me on this, i did look to see if it was posted before I shared this, I'm not saying MVS is the best Receiver available in FA that we could add, but barring the injury history, has had some pretty good impacts in KC and GB.

Its interesting ,looking at MVS's stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/ValdMa00.htm

image.thumb.png.b74db674e9fb7fc53b8c15341087b8eb.png

For the record, I wasn't proposing him as a replacement for our #2, but perhaps a better fit at the opposite side of the field from Terry, allowing Dotson to be in the slot on either side (or for them to switch.  I think he was injured a bit last year though, and KC had a number of WRs and tended to feede Travis Kelcey a ton.

I think the Eastwood movie might be called Trouble with the Curve, the one where he is getting older and going blind and his daughter grew up with him, it's about the sound of the ball hitting the glove. Good movie.

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Thumb up 1

Does anyone know what Peters/Niners' general FA/ draft philosophy was while he was in SF? Did they try to address needs via FA  leading up to the draft? For example, some teams may not go into the draft with needs, so they can approach it with a BPA view. 

9 hours ago, Veretax said:

Valdez-Scantling is pretty much exclusively a deep threat.  He's not a guy that will get separation with his route running or use his frame to box out defenders and make catches in traffic.  He'll hit a home-run here and there, but otherwise he'll be invisible.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After trading for him last year I'd  think they don't wish to lose him. He and Avila  make a formidable G duo.  He was a  RG with them, LG with Pitts.

I still think Wylie ends out our LG at this point. We will be focusing on T's and a C first in FA then draft

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

I do like Pittman, like others not sure he will actually hit the market.

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Valdez-Scantling is pretty much exclusively a deep threat.  He's not a guy that will get separation with his route running or use his frame to box out defenders and make catches in traffic.  He'll hit a home-run here and there, but otherwise he'll be invisible.

I don't remember how far down field he was seeing most of his targets.  (What is considered deep? 20 yards? 30?)

I remember him having a few memorable catches in the middle of the field between the hashes.  But if he's just a deep guy, I think that would move him out of my list for sure.

One guy I've heard several people throw around is DJ Chark Jr (think I spelled that right).   

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

I do like Pittman, like others not sure he will actually hit the market.

I don't remember how far down field he was seeing most of his targets.  (What is considered deep? 20 yards? 30?)

I remember him having a few memorable catches in the middle of the field between the hashes.  But if he's just a deep guy, I think that would move him out of my list for sure.

One guy I've heard several people throw around is DJ Chark Jr (think I spelled that right).   

According to FantasyPros, Valdez-Scantling averaged about 35 air-yards per reception, putting him in the top-10.  And pro-football-reference has him at #5 in average depth-of-target at 17.7 yards.

10 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

He started 10 or 11 games this last season with the best QB in the league and had less than 3 catches a game overall. Only 21 catches on the season.

Hard pass.

• Like 1