Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those were the two obvious releases as to cap room

9 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

More likely would be a trade up that combines one of our 2nd round and one of our 3rd round picks so we can move into the bottom half of the first round.

Gotta find one somewhere and a trade up to late first sounds good to me.   Also was not aware of hip surgery and letting Logan go too. 

15 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Great news 

Damn! Wow we sure 'aint playing today!!!

Theys a new sheriff in town boys and girls.

He goes by the name of Adam Peters.

He may look like a kid but he's fearless, fast on the draw, got a hell of an itchy trigger finger, and best of all-- he doesn't know the meaning of mercy.

Love it!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

So it looks like we're using this year to clear bad debt, I didn't think we would cut Leno but I'm not against getting rid of all 3 linemen and starting fresh, lots of cap available so it's perfect timing. I'm guessing Wylie is on deck and once he's gone we will have eliminated the aging vets who are eating up cap space.

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Why everybody at the same time?

Oh well, let the re-... whatever you wanna call it commence.

Why everybody at the same time?

Jimmy Hoffa: “you’re gonna Fire a lot of people, make sure you do it on the first day. That way, the ones that are left don’t feel insecure ... what they feel is grateful”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

We’re getting a little thin on fat boys.

You're still here. Oh wait...

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

You could argue our fat boys were a little thin on talent...

image.png.e3abd2e56e058a60a7af5577ecf8db87.png

• Haha 2

They could cut Wylie. I don't know if they will or won't, but they could.  He's going to count $9.4m against the cap if they keep him, he'd have a dead cap hit of $7.8m if they cut him. 

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but Wylie isn't nearly as bad as fans want to think he is.  And the local media wants to project he is.  He's not great.  But he's not a dumpster fire.  Arguably his biggest issue is he picks the absolute worst moment to make critical mistakes.

My bet is they will keep him and see what he can do, because the cap savings by cutting him won't fund a replacement, whereas with both Thomas and Leno, the cap savings could definitely fund a replacement.

They could also give him a look at left guard, though he's never played on the left side.

They could also cut him.

I think, to the despair of many, he's going to stick around, at least through training camp.  I DO NOT think he's going to be penciled in as the starter anywhere though.  I think he'll be competing for a roster spot/playing time. 

image.png.1261733de799e2ca95426246f5bbee8a.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

My guess is that either Peter's knows of a left tackle we can get or Quinn knows of a decent tackle we can get.

Knowing Leno was going to have hip surgery and the money we would have to pay him if we kept him probably made releasing him

an easy decision for the front office to make.

With the 49ers link maybe Trent Brown ?

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron built one heck of a roster 

I like Mark in general.

But let me 'splain something to Mark: just because Bobby Johnson coached Gates in New York doesn't mean he wants to do it again in Washington.  

All the dot connectors sometimes fail to realize, just because 2 people worked together in any capacity, that doesn't mean it went well or they want to do it again.

Sometimes it means "damn, I'm glad that's over I'll never do it again. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to how they address LT. Wouldn’t be against taking a 2nd and 2025 2nd and moving back into the teens, early 20s to get an LT. Trade back the other 2nd and recoup the 2025 pick.

I liked Leno. We’ve been spoiled by Samuels and Williams. Leno was adequate, but getting long in the tooth. Hated what he had to go through last year. Best to him and his family.

Thomas was a tough SOB. Took some dirty hits over the years. Time to move on though. He’s had a respectable career if this is the end of the line.

Gates had to go. Nothing against him, but he couldn’t play when he was here.

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Meh. Who needs an oline anyways?

The one we had was very mid.  Gates was benched anyway.  Leno was going through surgery, was old and expensive.

They were going to have to rebuild the OL from scratch anyway.  

Big shrug.

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Looking forward to how they address LT. Wouldn’t be against taking a 2nd and 2025 2nd and moving back into the teens, early 20s to get an LT. Trade back the other 2nd and recoup the 2025 pick.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a move up for a LT if a starting caliber LT is available in the back half of the first round.  They have the ammo to do it.  

I liked Leno. We’ve been spoiled by Samuels and Williams. Leno was adequate, but getting long in the tooth. Hated what he had to go through last year. Best to him and his family.

Leno was possibly the best FA signing of the Ron Rivera Era.  There weren't many who worked out.  He started a bunch of games, was durable, and unless he was going up against one of the elite speed pass-rushers, he was ok.  

The big issue is he was $15m against the cap.  He wasn't worth that.  

Thomas was a tough SOB. Took some dirty hits over the years. Time to move on though. He’s had a respectable career if this is the end of the line.

Thomas might be the second best FA signing during the Ron Rivera era.  Lucas, McCissick and Curtis Samuel (years 2 and 3) would be the other ones who stand out as good signings.  Oh, I always forget about Fuller.  They re-signed him. That was good too.

Gates had to go. Nothing against him, but he couldn’t play when he was here.

Ron made a lot of bad, low-end FA signings on the OL.  He and his FO just never really understood the position or it's importance.