Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

You guys realize restructuring isn't free money right?

People do not realize this. 

And restructuring always has a cost.  You add years, guaranteed money, and kick the can down the road.  At some point Dallas is going to eat $70m of a cap hut when Dak is not on the roster. 

Also the “lower their contract” is tough because if you approach a player to do that, then you have to be ready to release them.  

The guy I would try to do something with would be Rouiller.  But I’m not sure they can release him because he’s still injured so they have very little negotiating leverage. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, randyjohnson said:

Why does it seem Washington is the only team not cutting or restructuring any contracts! They know free agency is starting Monday?

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Me too … I thought this specially yesterday when I saw the Cowboys saved 30m by just restructuring Martin and Dak…. Wow how are we not…

Are you guys not following the ownership stuff?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, randyjohnson said:

Why does it seem Washington is the only team not cutting or restructuring any contracts! They know free agency is starting Monday?

Enjoy it!

Rookie QB contract allows the team to keep the books fairly clean compared to rest of league (I think). 

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

it' not supposed to be, but many teams make it work out that way

Examples?

Edited by wit33
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, MrJL said:

it' not supposed to be, but many teams make it work out that way

All they do is move money into the future in like 99% of cases.  It's not free money, it's delayed costs.  Now that does carry some "savings" because $10M in the current year is a higher % of that years cap than $10M in any following years.

That said, they are still incurring the same total cap hit, just later in the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

Enjoy it!

Rookie QB contract allows the team to keep the books fairly clean compared to rest of league (I think). 

Yep our salary cap position is in good shape. Mid range in the league, just short of league average but we are top 3 in terms of players under contract.

We’re eating 30mil just on Payne and Sweat currently being on one year deals effectively. Numerous contracts we could adjust if needs be, but nothing drastic is needed. Seems very straightforward to create another 12-15mil in space during the offseason via restructuring or cuts.

10 hours ago, Conn said:

Are you guys not following the ownership stuff?

Or the posts answering the same question.

There is a flow chart for this.

1. Is this a good thing?

If yes, “Wow, I can’t believe they pulled that off.”

If no, “Dan Snyder”

2. “Why didn’t we…”

Wrong answer, “our football people, every one of them for the last 24 years, are morons.”

Right answer, “Dan Snyder.”

3. “Why don’t we have money?”

Wrong answer, “Rivera and his crew of geriatrics don’t want to spend it! We have a lot of it!”

Right answer, “Dan Snyder. Yachts. Planes. Allegedly.”

4. “It’s not Dan Snyder, he spent big on x thing x years ago. So it’s not him.”

Wrong answer, “Absolutely, Our facilities show we have put a lot of time and effort into this and in the free agent survey conducted by the NFL last month we were only dead last because of jealousy and the media’s bias against this franchise.”

Right answer, “He likes shiny things so on occasion he drops money on things. However, it’s all about the splash. The facilities are among the worst in the NFL. Those don’t count against the cap, why hasn’t he done it? Oh, because there isn’t an official salary cap floor for facilities he has to meet.”

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Well it’s time to state the obvious again, we really need to find a way of getting a coup,e of OL through the door in free agency. 

Wonder which team will blow the lid off free agency this year. Last year the Jags totally screwed over the WR market by giving Christian Kirk 4/72mil.

I looking at maybe the Bears to do that with the OL market. Mike McGlinchey seems fairly confident he’s got his choice of deals on the table. Wait for him to get best end of 20m per year to set the bar. Can’t imagine what Orlando Brown is going to be asking for.

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

3. “Why don’t we have money?”

Wrong answer, “Rivera and his crew of geriatrics don’t want to spend it! We have a lot of it!”

Right answer, “Dan Snyder. Yachts. Planes. Allegedly.”

I think the bigger point that’s often missed is that is not just what you spend, it’s what you spend it on. Much like in the draft, everyone gets hung up on draft position/round etc when ultimately it’s about the end result in terms of the player quality.

Last year we dwindled our limited resources away on 5mil per year deals on the likes of Norwell and McCain. The big money went down the toilet on Wentz. We gave Leno 3/38mil which was a solid return really. We then gave Terry his 70mil deal.

Year before, Jon Allen got his 70mil deal, Roullier got a 40mil deal and never really played up to that since. WJ3 got 3/42mil which was a waste. Samuel got 3/35mil but essentially missed his first season. Fitz got 10mil for nothing. Etc etc.

Snyder is simply awful. We all get that.

I also think there is a fair argument to suggest Ron and his ‘geriatrics’ haven’t invested some of their available resources in the best way too.

32 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the bigger point that’s often missed is that is not just what you spend, it’s what you spend it on. Much like in the draft, everyone gets hung up on draft position/round etc when ultimately it’s about the end result in terms of the player quality.

Last year we dwindled our limited resources away on 5mil per year deals on the likes of Norwell and McCain. The big money went down the toilet on Wentz. We gave Leno 3/38mil which was a solid return really. We then gave Terry his 70mil deal.

Year before, Jon Allen got his 70mil deal, Roullier got a 40mil deal and never really played up to that since. WJ3 got 3/42mil which was a waste. Samuel got 3/35mil but essentially missed his first season. Fitz got 10mil for nothing. Etc etc.

Snyder is simply awful. We all get that.

I also think there is a fair argument to suggest Ron and his ‘geriatrics’ haven’t invested some of their available resources in the best way too.

I don’t know about the last paragraph.

Last off-season we signed Wentz. Did he work? No. But the money was spent on the most needed position on the team. He couldn’t say no because it was a trade, so he didn’t have a choice, and they were banking on Indianapolis levels of play at minimum in a year where they thought they absolutely needed a QB. 

The player stunk, the idea was right. But… their hands were tied there a bit, too, as to who wanted to play for this organization (another Snyder issue).

We re-signed McLaurin. That’s a great move.

Then we were completely out of cash and we had to shop in the Wal Mart bargain bins. 

McCain was 2.5 in guarantees/year. 

Roullier is hard to be mad at given how good he was. 

WJ3 was an absolutely abhorrent mistake. 

Norwell was bargain bin. 

I’m not sure how anyone can be mad at Rivera for Fitzpatrick. Unless you are saying he should have traded up for a QB instead of giving Fitz $10M for a year. Which, yes. I agree. Otherwise he got the guy most of us wanted to be our QB and he got hurt after about a drive. 

Same thing can be said for Samuel, really. He was excellent last season but our QB couldn’t get him the ball when the first one was injured and we had the other guy in.

I think Rivera has been a mixed bag on decision making. As a whole, not just in game. He has absolutely made some bad calls. But he is also playing a round of golf with the only club in his bag being a Putt Putt putter. 

Should we have moved up for a QB two years ago? Probably. And he could have done that with no cash considerations so you could potentially say that was his doing.

He has his faults. 

Some would argue not trading up for Fields was a good move. Some wouldn’t. So mileage may vary there.

We drafted Young rather than a QB. I’m hindsight that was an absolute error. But the consensus among absolutely everyone was that was a slam dunk. (if you recall myself and some others were very seriously talking about taking Tu’a but ultimately we almost unanimously decided Young was a better bet because of Tua’s hip injury). I remember I was hoping the Bengals made an unforced error and took Young instead of Burrow. 

We maybe could have traded back but no way of knowing without insider context.

We mishandle assets by holding them and then getting very little ROI under Rivera. That’s absolutely true. And quite frankly it has been for the entire Snyder regime. 

Rivera has made mistakes. That’s not even close to my argument. But he’s forced to make decisions while he is playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter that has 5 loaded rather than one. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Center is probably where we would get the best ROI on the OL if that’s where we choose to go. Whether it’s a cheap short term deal with Ben a Jones to bridge to a rookie or go bigger longer term deal with Garrett Bradbury. I also like Ethan Pocic. Between draft and FA center is a must address. 

I could see us adding 3 OL on the cheap. Hernandez, Pocic, Wylie. All 3 could start or 1 could start depending on the draft. I doubt we get all 3 or sign 3 OL that could start, but those 3 could and would fit within our spending limitations. 

Ronald Darby at CB is an interesting play. Would he come back here where he had success on another prove it or 2-3 year deal? Would be a good addition to the secondary along with a rookie in the draft. 

Will Hernandez (2/$8) and Andrew Wylie (3/$15) would give line upside and if they bust (Hernandez) he’s easy to cut and you have Paul long term to compete with him at LG. Wylie at worst becomes a backup utility lineman who can be a swing OT as well. Best case he starts at RT. 

Add a OT and C in the draft and you’ve got a nicely re-built unit. 

Leno

Hernandez

Larsen

Cosmi

Rookie OT 

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Will Hernandez (2/$8) and Andrew Wylie (3/$15) would give line upside and if they bust (Hernandez) he’s easy to cut and you have Paul long term to compete with him at LG. Wylie at worst becomes a backup utility lineman who can be a swing OT as well. Best case he starts at RT. 

Add a OT and C in the draft and you’ve got a nicely re-built unit. 

Leno

Hernandez

Larsen

Cosmi

Rookie OT 

I am with you in this approach, mainly bc while you aren't spending huge bucks (something that probably isn't an option for us this year), you are adequately plugging holes.  If a lineman at any position is available in the draft, you can plug him in ASAP and depth improves.  

The only change I'd make to your lineup is I don't want to give up on Cosmi at RT yet.  Will H played RG last year, and we can keep norwell at LG for now (to compete with Paul and/or draft pick).

Someone had also mentioned RT from raiders being a good value play in the same vein.  I think this would be a great approach, and I hope they still come out of the draft with some early linemen.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think Rivera has been a mixed bag on decision making

Yep I totally agree. I’m simply adding some balance to the right answer / wrong answer type approach. I think there is a degree of balance to add. Not much granted, but some.

40 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Center is probably where we would get the best ROI on the OL if that’s where we choose to go. Whether it’s a cheap short term deal with Ben a Jones to bridge to a rookie or go bigger longer term deal with Garrett Bradbury. I also like Ethan Pocic. Between draft and FA center is a must address. 

I like Bozeman for Center but we really need to be clear on what is going on with Roullier first.

36 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Andrew Wylie (3/$15)

I think you may underestimate what the SB winning RT is worth on the open market.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Rivera has made mistakes. That’s not even close to my argument. But he’s forced to make decisions while he is playing Russian Roulette with a six-shooter that has 5 loaded rather than one. 

Applying this to free agency, I’m quite happy if we do sit out the first wave of free agency. I dont see a ton of players we need to spend big on to be honest.

Rivera and Co have enough resource for a couple of swings at the mid tier level. I think we can accommodate a couple of 3 year 30-35mil type deals. We need to get those right, especially on the OL. 

They also need to do something proactive on the Payne, and maybe Sweat, contract situations IMO.

We don’t need a ground breaking week or so coming up, let’s just do some solid business.

53 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you may underestimate what the SB winning RT is worth on the open market.

Probably. I was just using the Spotrac market value projection. Not sure how accurate those are though. They have 3/$14 

Compared to 4/$71 for McGary, 4/$60 for McGlinchy, 3/$59 for Donavan Smith, 5/$112 for Orlando Brown, 4/$56 for Jawaan Taylor and 3/$17 for Jermaine Elumunor

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Probably. I was just using the Spotrac market value projection. Not sure how accurate those are though. They have 3/$14 

Compared to 4/$71 for McGary, 4/$60 for McGlinchy, 3/$59 for Donavan Smith, 5/$112 for Orlando Brown, 4/$56 for Jawaan Taylor and 3/$17 for Jermaine Elumunor

Sure will be interesting to see what deals start getting thrown around tomorrow.