Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I take Keim's article as:

A.  they won't sit out FA but no major splashes

B. Keim rarely name drops for no reason so I'd guess Will Hernandez and Wylie are legit targets

Give me Brissett as our backup QB on a 2 or 3 year deal. Draft another QB in the upcoming draft too. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 3

Retain their own

Washington has several key players it wants to retain, though none should be too expensive. The Commanders would like to keep linebacker Cole Holcomb, but the sides do not appear close to a deal -- yet, according to team sources. Holcomb missed the last nine games of 2022 because of a right foot injury that eventually required surgery.

They’ll likely re-sign Pro Bowl special teams player Jeremy Reaves and other key reserves, such as center Tyler Larsen and defensive lineman Efe Obada, among others.

But the big money will go to defensive tackle Daron Payne. Washington used the franchise tag on him. So, as of now, he counts $18.9 million against the salary cap. The Commanders continue to negotiate with Payne’s representatives about a long-term deal.

Part of the reason Washington wants to start Howell -- in addition to liking him -- is that having a quarterback on a rookie deal allows the Commanders to make other moves. Had Carson Wentz worked out at quarterback and the team was on the hook for his $26 million cap hit, it would be hard to keep Payne -- and others.

“The sooner you can get those things done, the more positions you can feel in free agency,” Rivera said at the combine. “It takes a lot of pressure off of the draft in terms of what you need to do, what you have to do, what you must do, as much as to the point where you get to what you want to do. That's probably the most important thing, so if we can fill some of those spots coming up once we get into March and get into free agency, we'll see what happens.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42820/expect-commanders-to-bargain-hunt-in-dan-snyders-likely-last-free-agent-foray

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Give me Brissett as our backup QB on a 2 or 3 year deal. 

Me too but some think he might get decent money and have a shot to start, I guess we will see.  But he definitely would be my top choice in FA as to QBs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Retain their own

Washington has several key players it wants to retain, though none should be too expensive. The Commanders would like to keep linebacker Cole Holcomb, but the sides do not appear close to a deal -- yet, according to team sources. Holcomb missed the last nine games of 2022 because of a right foot injury that eventually required surgery.

They’ll likely re-sign Pro Bowl special teams player Jeremy Reaves and other key reserves, such as center Tyler Larsen and defensive lineman Efe Obada, among others.

But the big money will go to defensive tackle Daron Payne. Washington used the franchise tag on him. So, as of now, he counts $18.9 million against the salary cap. The Commanders continue to negotiate with Payne’s representatives about a long-term deal.

Part of the reason Washington wants to start Howell -- in addition to liking him -- is that having a quarterback on a rookie deal allows the Commanders to make other moves. Had Carson Wentz worked out at quarterback and the team was on the hook for his $26 million cap hit, it would be hard to keep Payne -- and others.

“The sooner you can get those things done, the more positions you can feel in free agency,” Rivera said at the combine. “It takes a lot of pressure off of the draft in terms of what you need to do, what you have to do, what you must do, as much as to the point where you get to what you want to do. That's probably the most important thing, so if we can fill some of those spots coming up once we get into March and get into free agency, we'll see what happens.”

A lot less talk, RR and A LOT MORE ACTION!  Get it done, RR and Co.! 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

RR has the toughest FA task in the league IMO, not much money from the owner, and arguably this is the worst destination spot in the league.

Maybe we get a miracle and Dan sells in the middle of FA. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

RR has the toughest FA task in the league IMO, not much money from the owner, and arguably this is the worst destination spot in the league.

True but RR talks a lot and I'd like to see more action.  Just a sticking point I have with RR.  I commend him on the job he has done having to deal with Snyder.  I really do. :) 

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't understand how anyone can know the situation with this team and put anything about this stuff on Rivera. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, KDawg said:

I don't understand how anyone can know the situation with this team and put anything about this stuff on Rivera. 

See my post above.  I recognized RR with having to deal with Snyder. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

True but RR talks a lot and I'd like to see more action.  Just a sticking point I have with RR.  I commend him on the job he has done having to deal with Snyder.  I really do. :) 

I hear you but am surprised he delivers frankly anything in FA --  -- combination of having an owner who can easily be outbid coupled with this being a destination spot that makes this the Siberia of the NFL. 

I think Rivera's likability and league connections is what keeps us hanging by a thread as to FA.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Hopefully Payne will sign a LTD before Free Agency starts. Giving us more cap for other areas. 

Edited by markmills67

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a lot of cap space saved for post June 1st cuts after other teams have cashed themselves out but here's hoping we can at least land a couple of offensive linemen or linebackers. There are some good players who come available during the summer for teams that are patient. Hopefully new ownership is in place by then?

• Like 1

Very interesting development. Not sure what the Rams plan at QB would be ...

We had serious interest 2 years ago. Just not sure there's a there there given our situation at this stage. Interesting thing to follow however. Can't be terribly expensive coming off that injury. Does Stafford even want to play? I guess that answer is yes if they're looking to trade him v. him retiring.

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Very interesting development. Not sure what the Rams plan at QB would be ...

We had serious interest 2 years ago. Just not sure there's a there there given our situation at this stage. Interesting thing to follow however. Can't be terribly expensive coming off that injury. Does Stafford even want to play? I guess that answer is yes if they're looking to trade him v. him retiring.

No. He was pretty bad the Super Bowl season. Walking pick six. No thanks.

• Like 1

It's fun to knock on the Rams for investing so heavily on Stafford, but as much as it hurts now, they still got their money's worth. They built a super team, couldn't win it with Goff, mortgaged the future, and won a Super Bowl with it. Sucks that Stafford broke down so soon, but a ring is a ring.

I do think if we are going to resign Payne or Sweat we should do it this offseason.  The cap goes up every year but next  year might be a slightly bigger bump than normal due to next year being the first year that the gambling money really gets added to the pot.  Thus there is likely going to be a discount (albeit probably small) on getting longer term deals done this year.  So for guys like Payne and Sweat, if we want to keep them, we may be better off getting a deal done this offseason.

Edited by philibusters

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Give me Brissett as our backup QB on a 2 or 3 year deal. Draft another QB in the upcoming draft too. 

My concern with Brissett is the cost. If we are really going Howell a go it should be a Dalton backup on 3mil for 2023. Brissett could be 2 or 3 times that. Brissett at say 5mil yep. All about cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

My concern with Brissett is the cost. If we are really going Howell a go it should be a Dalton backup on 3mil for 2023. Brissett could be 2 or 3 times that. Brissett at say 5mil yep. All about cost.

Guess we shall see, 1974.  :) 

44 minutes ago, FrFan said:

He on the downward turn of his career. I say no.  

If we are going to start a young inexperienced player like Howell I’d like to see us sign a great vet C to help with protection calls and anchor that line. There are a bunch of guys out there. I’m fine drafting one too, and letting him earn his spot, maybe contributing at OG if the vet is playing well.

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

i feel like i'd rather have minshew and i feel like his contract will be roughly around there...but it might just be his fashion sense influencing me. i wouldn't be upset with brisset though.

6 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Hopefully Payne will sign a LTD before Free Agency starts. Giving us more cap for other areas. 

Does not seem possible unless a new owner is in place. Snyder wants little money tied up in escrow.

• Like 1