Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

@HigSkin To add to your post above.  Hmmm.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that picture was taken in Boston not Washington!

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Is Wylie any good?  KC is going to be looking like they're going to be thin along the Oline

Not really. He’s been a utility player for them filling in at guard and RT. He’s their swing guy.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Maybe someone to bring in to replace Corn Lucas?

Lucas is reasonably cheap and a good swing tackle IMO. We need to upgrade the starter at RT assuming Cosmi moves to RG, but I don’t know we need to find a veteran swing tackle. 

• Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Lucas is reasonably cheap and a good swing tackle IMO. We need to upgrade the starter at RT assuming Cosmi moves to RG, but I don’t know we need to find a veteran swing tackle. 

Think Lucas would save us $4.5m if cut. Bieniemy might prefer someone who knows his system as a swing tackle versus a vet on the last year of his deal 

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Think Lucas would save us $4.5m if cut. Bieniemy might prefer someone who knows his system as a swing tackle versus a vet on the last year of his deal 

I don’t think Wylie would come in much cheaper, if at all. He’s played guard as well though so maybe there is some more position flexibility with him. 

• Like 1

I like Lucas.  My impression of him is he is a starting level player as a pass blocker and a backup level player as a run blocker.  Given that pass blocking is valued higher than run blocking and is going to be more rare amongst backups I do value what he brings to the team even if its not cheap.

Just gonna put this out there, the Titans are reportedly shopping Derrick Henry....I would LOVE seeing him in the B&G, no disrespect to BRob. What better gift to give a young QB than the best RB in the league? If Tennessee would take a 3rd and maybe a 2024 5th I'd jump on Henry, yet another Bama boy. He could be our next Diesel and run til he's well into his 30's. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Just gonna put this out there, the Titans are reportedly shopping Derrick Henry....I would LOVE seeing him in the B&G, no disrespect to BRob. What better gift to give a young QB than the best RB in the league? If Tennessee would take a 3rd and maybe a 2024 5th I'd jump on Henry, yet another Bama boy. He could be our next Diesel and run til he's well into his 30's. 

He's reaching his prespecified shelf life as a running back (as dictated by the football gods).

I wouldn't trade anything for Henry. And I LOVE his game. As far as RBs go, my philosophy is just keep drafting new young ones every 3-4 years. Don't pick them up in FA unless they are complementary backs. No one you can get in FA will be a bell cow. Too much wear and tear.

24 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don’t think Wylie would come in much cheaper, if at all. He’s played guard as well though so maybe there is some more position flexibility with him. 

This.

I really don't think you can get any decent OL in FA without massively overpaying them. I'd rather use 2-3 draft picks this year on the OL with a 1st or 2nd rounder being for OT. 

• Like 3

Henry is special...he can take a screen pass to the house at any moment with his size and speed in addition to his other attributes. Pair him with BRob and our evolving defense and Ron's focus on running the ball goes to the next level. 

I totally get your point but I'd see what it would take to get Henry, what a jolt that would give the team.

• Like 1

Devin White would be an amazing addition to this team. Let him play behind this Dline? My goodness man and how great would that be for Davis? That would be one of the most athletic pairings of LBers league wide. 

Whyle sucks. Unless they let him hang on to pass rushers all year like they did in the superbowl, he's a hard pass.

11 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

He's reaching his prespecified shelf life as a running back (as dictated by the football gods).

I wouldn't trade anything for Henry. And I LOVE his game. As far as RBs go, my philosophy is just keep drafting new young ones every 3-4 years. Don't pick them up in FA unless they are complementary backs. No one you can get in FA will be a bell cow. Too much wear and tear.

Agreed. Plus he would cost trade capital (someone on twitter suggested BRob) and cap space. BRob is on a rookie contract. so given my whuthers:

I'd much rather have Orlando Brown blocking for BRob than have Turner blocking for Henry.

• Like 1

Washington Commanders free agency options: Offensive Guards & Centers: Rebuilding the trenches

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/3/7/23623419/washington-commanders-free-agency-options-offensive-guards-centers-nfl

Ben Powers, 26, Ravens

If Washington wants to upgrade the offensive line in 2023 (they really do) then a guy like Ben Powers is the type of player that they probably should be looking for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That damn Rivera refusing to use all the money Snyder has strikes AGAIN!

Yeah I heard the Keim segment and listened to Standig too who emphasized Rivera referenced "his budget."

Only good news is Keim did think there will be some action, but doesn't expect a splashy-big signing.  Most likely on the O line.  He did say that this is his best intel he has thus far but will see if it changes later in the week.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Devin White would be an amazing addition to this team. Let him play behind this Dline? My goodness man and how great would that be for Davis? That would be one of the most athletic pairings of LBers league wide. 

Whyle sucks. Unless they let him hang on to pass rushers all year like they did in the superbowl, he's a hard pass.

Given the code red business, I can’t see the staff going this route, but I’d be all over it.  Much rather pay one stud than 2 “ok” players (ie olinemen).

Expanding on that - sign White, re-sign DJ and probably Reaves, draft a corner fairly early and a safety late - feels like this D would be pretty complete.  And given our future cap space, we can keep the band together for the most part.

Then re-sign Schweitzer for depth and draft T, G and C with 3 of the first 4 picks and another center late.  Let them (and the rest of the young offense - TEs, Robinson, Dotson, Howell) grow together.

Financially, our big money will be on D for a few years, but that’ll shift as our dlinemen finish out their 2nd contracts and our young offensive players (hopefully including Howell) come due.

Gives us a nice competitive window and (IMO) 1) opens up future drafts to be more about succession planning than immediate needs (including replacing meh FAs), and 2) allows free agency to be more about keeping our own proven players than rolling the dice on outside guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Agreed. Plus he would cost trade capital (someone on twitter suggested BRob) and cap space. BRob is on a rookie contract. so given my whuthers:

I'd much rather have Orlando Brown blocking for BRob than have Turner blocking for Henry.

I got no problem with your line of thinking but it would be nice to see this team go out and get a stud or two to compliment the drafted guys we've groomed. For me, we need to spend money on some known commodities while Howell is on a cheap deal and see if the guys we get can carry the rookie to a Super Bowl much like the Steelers did with Big Ben and how the Eagles did it with Jaylen Hurts. 

Henry is a stud who may not cost as much in picks as we might think. He's also hungry to win and has been on some good Titans teams that have come up short. I can't help but envision him plowing through Eagles and Cowboys and then setting up play action for Howell to hit the other weapons. You get a back like Henry and defenses not only have a lot more to prepare for but they wear down fast trying to tackle him. God help us if the Eagles let Sanders walk and then deal for Henry. OK, I'm done, it's out of my system now, thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Washington Commanders free agency options: Offensive Guards & Centers: Rebuilding the trenches

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/3/7/23623419/washington-commanders-free-agency-options-offensive-guards-centers-nfl

Ben Powers, 26, Ravens

I was leaning towards Risner. That isn’t too complementary about him. Powers looks like the better option on reading that. I actually like the FA center Bozeman, but we seems to be heading that way in the draft....

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

John Keim on The Junkies this morning said expect mid level FA's and no big splashy signings.

Save from one big investment, say on Payne for example, that’s probably the way forward anyway, irrespective of ‘budget’. I have said for a couple of years now that FA has spiralled out of control. All of a sudden your getting mid range WR getting stupid money for example.

Draft well on the back of adding a small number of solid FA acquisitions. 

• Like 2

Starting RT options:

Jawaan Taylor - 26 years old

- OTC estimate $12.7 million a year

- Spotrac estimate $14.0 million a year

Kaleb McGary - 28 years old

- OTC estimate $11.0 million a year

- Spotrac estimate $17.7 million a year

Mike McGlinchey - 28  years old

- OTC estimate $9.1 million a year

- Spotrac estimate $14.8 million a year

George Fant - 31 years old

- OTC estimate $4.1 million a year

- Spotrac estimate $3.3 million a year

Jermaine Eluemunor - 29 years old

- OTC estimate $12.6 million a year

- Spotrac estimate $5.6 million a year

Trey Pipkins - 27 years old

- OTC estimate $10.1 million a year

- Spotrac has no estimate

• Thanks 1

Mecole Hardman will be one Bieniemy wants, IMO.....

Fresh off of a Super Bowl LVII win, the Kansas City Chiefs have over a dozen players slated for unrestricted free agency. They’ll look to retain as many pieces as possible from their championship-winning squad, but according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, that might not be so easy.

Fowler recently reported on all the latest free agency buzz from the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, naming to players that he expects the Chiefs will have a hard time keeping.

Check it out:

The Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs will have a difficult time keeping several free agents. They are bracing to lose receiver Mecole Hardman, who should have a sneaky-good market despite playing just eight games last season. Some teams believe he will hit a pretty good number on a per-year average. 

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 2

Rank

Byron Murphy

CB · Age: 25

Murphy proved with the Cardinals in 2022 he can play on the outside; his bona fides in the slot were already established. At a position with high variance, Murphy has been a steady starter since a rocky rookie year. 

Rank

Rock Ya-Sin

CB · Age: 27

A physical corner who excels at press man coverage, Ya-Sin profiles as a solid enough starter who has never quite reached his top potential. I like those kinds of signings in free agency, because the floor is high and the ceiling is higher.

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:
Rank

Byron Murphy

CB · Age: 25

Murphy proved with the Cardinals in 2022 he can play on the outside; his bona fides in the slot were already established. At a position with high variance, Murphy has been a steady starter since a rocky rookie year. 

Rank

@Going Commando was a big fan of his I recall before that draft

• Thanks 1