Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

@DWinzit I agree Fuller is replaceable if you draft well this year. But he’s an extension candidate and I could see that happening this off-season to create some stability at CB. And a vet presence to maintain in an otherwise very young secondary. Add a Top 3 Round CB this year and again next year and he’s expendable. But until then, I’m fine extending him. 

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been mentioned in other posts, but wouldn't it be a Snyder going away present for him to trade for Lamar Jackson and give him a 4 year 200m fully guaranteed contract. And say there you are NFL and Goodell **** you. And leave the new owner to pick up the pieces. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned in other posts, but wouldn't it be a Snyder going away present for him to trade for Lamar Jackson and give him a 4 year 200m fully guaranteed contract. And say there you are NFL and Goodell **** you. And leave the new owner to pick up the pieces. 

don't forget, he'll trade 4 1st round picks for the next 4 years also!!!

17 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

That was what Florio said a week ago.  The beat guys including Keim said no way that's happening.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Actually I recall someone did say this almost exactly as you did.....not sure if it was on of our esteemed posters or a media figure but I saw it on this site. 

Cutting Wentz was obviously the right move, but it made me wonder if we are in an exclusive club as Washington fans: we get to watch another team make a fairly premium pick (3rd rounder) for a player we traded for that has already sucked his way out of town.

Oh well, onwards and upwards with a QB who costs 25+ million less.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Cutting Wentz was obviously the right move, but it made me wonder if we are in an exclusive club as Washington fans: we get to watch another team make a fairly premium pick (3rd rounder) for a player we traded for that has already sucked his way out of town.

Oh well, onwards and upwards with a QB who costs 25+ million less.

In the future RR and Wright should put a member of Extremeskins in the room whenever they think they have a bright idea so one of us can talk sense to them. I have no problem with our college scouts but signings like Wentz and William Jackson continue to set us back year after year. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

In the future RR and Wright should put a member of Extremeskins in the room whenever they think they have a bright idea so one of us can talk sense to them. I have no problem with our college scouts but signings like Wentz and William Jackson continue to set us back year after year. 

Imagine being an owner and listening to your football people tell you this is a must make move lol Fully acknowledge this is part of the business, but wow, all that cash and resources for incompetence. Would’ve been nice to have that $27mil paid into a Payne extension last year 😕 

Full disclosure: I was okay with the move and want Ron and company to continue to be aggressive however they see fit.

Hyped to be in the rookie QB salary business though. Now on to spending the his available cap. 

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

That would be incredible. Finally have a franchise qb and Commanders win the Super Bowl in the 2023-24 season! Woohoo!!!

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

Imagine being an owner and listening to your football people tell you this is a must make move lol Fully acknowledge this is part of the business, but wow, all that cash and resources for incompetence. Would’ve been nice to have that $27mil paid into a Payne extension last year 😕 

Full disclosure: I was okay with the move and want Ron and company to continue to be aggressive however they see fit.

Hyped to be in the rookie QB salary business though. Now on to spending the his available cap. 

I was 100% fine with the Wentz move. Yes, we probably overpaid, but what did we really wind up losing? A few draft position spots in the third and what else? (I blocked that trade out of my memory). We needed a QB. We went and got one. It didn't work. We've made worse trades. No, this wasn't the worst trade ever for this franchise or even close.

It didn't work. At all. That I agree with. 

And yes, Wentz was probably washed.

And yes, it was a hail mary.

And yes, Snyder was a goofball for saying, "we finally have our QB" when there were so many question marks. 

But they needed a QB, he was the guy they could get and they went for it.

Now we have a rookie QB.

We don't need a guy. We are where we are.

• Thumb up 2

59 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Payne tag … 

Timing is curious. Rather than wait until deadline day we cleared cap and did it now. 

Was that driven by Indy and the Combine and wanting him tagged to fuel trade discussions? Allow teams to negotiate extensions with his agent to set up trade?

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

Would take a 1st and 4th round pick ?

Some of us argued that Dan's cash flow has effected his spending on the team including FA -- based on report after report.  

I do think the odds are slim that if Dan is still our owner they will be spending much in FA.  The article below from today spells it out well.

Unless Dan thinks screw it, its not going to be his money anyway?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35726691/former-partners-say-dan-snyder-used-team-fund-lifestyle-took-improper-loan-their-approval

...They said Snyder's "brazen actions have the obvious purpose of protecting Snyder's self-dealing and other unauthorized conduct from being further exposed, questioned or restrained by the Board -- and of enabling him to continue using [the team] as a personal piggy bank."

With the benefit of the financial report and their own digging, the partners alleged that Snyder had used team funds to help pay for his two "personal yachts, multiple residences, the services of more than 60 members of his personal staff, multiple vehicles in the U.S. and Europe and countless meals, wine/beverages [and] entertainment."

...Within a month of the session, they struck a deal: Snyder agreed to buy out his three partners' 40% share for a total of $875 million. But Snyder was cash poor. He needed the NFL's permission to finance the buyout. By a 32-0 vote on March 31, 2021, NFL owners granted Snyder a new debt-limit waiver. And Snyder borrowed an additional $450 million from Bank of America.

...The partners said they discovered Snyder had leased his personal jets back to the team. Besides Snyder paying himself a salary of $10 million a year, he also had arranged for the franchise to pay him a total of $4.5 million for having the team logo emblazoned on his personal jet. "An advertising fee," Snyder had called it, documents show.

But the partners said the logo on Snyder's private jet "provides little or no advertising value." And besides, they said, they never approved the millions per year Snyder paid himself.

In a June 5, 2020, letter, Snyder's lawyer told the partners that Snyder planned to expense more than $7 million in "unreimbursed business expenses" for fiscal years 2017 through 2020. Snyder also revealed that he was seeking $1 million in reimbursements for vehicle costs "and extra security required during foreign travel (due to his high-profile position as Owner)."

In the letter, Snyder revealed that the expenses included a July 2018 yacht party in the south of France, where he hosted fellow owners Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots and Terry Pegula of the Buffalo Bills.

"This included 'world-class cuisine prepared by some of the top personal chefs in the world and the highest quality wine/beverages,'" the partners said in their petition. And Snyder told the partners he had hired the accounting firm PwC to "perform a detailed accounting of all business expenses for the entire 17-year investment period of the partners."

Late on the evening of June 17, 2020, Snyder informed his partners he had removed them from the team's six-member board. In their petition to the NFL, the partners alleged that Snyder's removal violated their stockholders' agreement and continued "a pattern of gross disregard of both his contractual and fiduciary duties." Snyder immediately replaced the three men with two new directors, Eran Broshy and Gregory Owens. The partners said the two men had worked for Snyder in the past and were "beholden to Snyder."

The three limited partners' arbitration petition was filed with the NFL several months before they sued Snyder in Maryland federal court. The arbitration filing flatly declared that Snyder was using team cash "to support his lavish lifestyle." They said Snyder's "brazen actions have the obvious purpose of protecting Snyder's self-dealing and other unauthorized conduct from being further exposed, questioned or restrained by the Board -- and of enabling him to continue using [the team] as a personal piggy bank."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of us argued that Dan's cash flow has effected his spending on the team including FA -- based on report after report.  

The first mistake those folks made was the failure to isolate Dan from practically every other person in Dan’s position.

I get it - on its face it makes no sense that the owner of a cash printing machine like an NFL franchise would have cash flow problems, no matter how inept they are.

But Dan has proven to be a special case, the exception to most rules.  If there is a way to eff something up, he will not only find it but also reach a new low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The first mistake those folks made was the failure to isolate Dan from practically every other person in Dan’s position.

I get it - on its face it makes no sense that the owner of a cash printing machine like an NFL franchise would have cash flow problems, no matter how inept they are.

But Dan has proven to be a special case, the exception to most rules.  If there is a way to eff something up, he will not only find it but also reach a new low.

When you Rivera saying Richmond training camp is too "expensive".  Sheehan mentioning he heard they are cutting back on travel expenses for the team.  You got reporters referencing a budget last year and you got Rivera flat out using the word budget this year -- local reporters, national ones referencing Dan's cash flows, Keim suggesting the sale (among other reporters with a similar narrative) being about finances and too much debt -- then you pile on to that Dan using the team's money for his own personal lifestyle, taking out even another loan, leasing his own planes back to the team and pocketing the money -- like last year I don't expect Santa Claus coming in FA. :ols:

But who knows maybe he abandons that knowing its not likely his money they are spending, will see.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When you Rivera saying Richmond training camp is too "expensive".  Sheehan mentioning he heard they are cutting back on travel expenses for the team.  You got reporters referencing a budget last year and you got Rivera flat out using the word budget this year -- local reporters, national ones referencing Dan's cash flows, Keim suggesting the sale (among other reporters with a similar narrative) being about finances and too much debt -- then you pile on to that Dan using the team's money for his own personal lifestyle, taking out even another loan, leasing his own planes back to the team and pocketing the money -- like last year I don't expect Santa Claus coming in FA. :ols:

But who knows maybe he abandons that knowing its not likely his money they are spending, will see.

Yup. This is why I think tag and trade of Payne would make so much sense. Get that $19m cap hit off the books. Get a couple picks with cheap salaries to add talent. Use that $19m to add a LB and OL. Roll the rest over. Let the new owner spend $150+m next year. Idk. But I'm okay with it, simply becuase we have a solid roster, this is a bit of a lame duck year, and it allows us to just have massive cap space going forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yup. This is why I think tag and trade of Payne would make so much sense. Get that $19m cap hit off the books. Get a couple picks with cheap salaries to add talent. Use that $19m to add a LB and OL. Roll the rest over. Let the new owner spend $150+m next year. Idk. But I'm okay with it, simply becuase we have a solid roster, this is a bit of a lame duck year, and it allows us to just have massive cap space going forward.

Agree

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.23.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 12.02.15 PM.png

It seems that the ownership situation may stretch into the summer per Russini. Given Bezos is jumping into bidding just now, with all the legal issues involved, this deal is not closing in 30 days. Thus, if we keep Payne, he is going to get paid max price in a LT deal like Terry did because the Williams and Lawrence contracts will hit by the time they would start negotiating in the summer

I would move Payne for a first if one is out there and, as others have mentioned, the Lions’ 2nd 1st round pick should be the target

• Like 2

Can’t find what exactly Roullier’s injury was (surgery on his knee of course), so I’m curious about his recovery timetable.  If he’s expected to miss any games, my understanding is they’d have to reach an injury settlement with him, which is about .5mil/game.  Point being, that settlement could eat into the cap savings pretty quickly.

As for June 1st cuts, I’m not sure if we’ve gotten confirmation about it being applied to McCain, but my understanding is a team can use up to 2 per year, so Thomas or Roullier could be a candidate (both if it wasn’t used on McCain).  And to really get into the weeds, I have no idea if a team can utilize a June 1 cut while reaching an injury settlement on the same player… if an injury settlement is necessary to release Roullier.

5 minutes ago, method man said:

It seems that the ownership situation may stretch into the summer per Russini. Given Bezos is jumping into bidding just now, with all the legal issues involved, this deal is not closing in 30 days. Thus, if we keep Payne, he is going to get paid max price in a LT deal like Terry did because the Williams and Lawrence contracts will hit by the time they would start negotiating in the summer

I would move Payne for a first if one is out there and, as others have mentioned, the Lions’ 2nd 1st round pick should be the target

And I heard the League wants Snyder to put potential fine money into escrow to go along with the sale so the new owner isn't responsible for fines.

So... we won't have much money to spend in FA.

Buckle up.

The 2-0 Defenders play the 2-0 Battlehawks Saturday at 1 EST... at least we have that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, method man said:

I think that Lions pick makes sense.  If not, since I imagine teams are generally loathe to give up multiple picks, I could see compensation of a 2nd rounder with a swap of 3rd round picks (or something to that effect).