Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

From a roster-construction standpoint we already have a decent chunk of $$ allocated to Fuller and I think he's got 1 more year left on his deal. So it could make sense to bring in a FA and spread that $$ out over several years where we don't have $$ allocated to CB. But I think a CB in the draft could make the most sense since it's a deep class and I doubt we really make any splashy FA signings outside of OL. I could see a LB since Davis is on a rookie deal. Maybe a mid-tier reclamation at CB would work. Someone in that $5-6m range for 2-3 years. And that might fit best with the most likely scenario in the draft ... that we go OL-OL-CB with the 1st 3 round picks. If we emphasize OL in R1, then it would make sense to draft a R2 or R3 CB to add to Fuller + St. Juste + mid-tier FA CB.

Of course FA comes first. And you don't want to go into the draft NEEDING a position (or at least several positions). 

If we traded Payne for a 2 and 4 or even got a mid to late 1 for him, that would open things up a lot more in the draft and FA. With a 1, 1, 2, 3 or even a 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4 you would have plenty of ammunition to grab 3 starters, including a CB.

Honestly, I could see them returning Danny Johnson (with a nice pay bump), especially knowing the plan is to also target a corner in the draft.  Fits the culture, knows the D, has some inside/outside versatility, and should be relatively cheap.  He’d also have a path to a starting role once Fuller leaves (ie a chance at maximizing future earning potential). 

As for trading Payne, as much as I’d be bummed about losing him (and would have some concerns about taking a step back on the dline), the prospect of adding 2 first round guys like Dawand Jones and Brian Branch is pretty dang appealing.

Not sure I love the idea of returning Holcomb - I have to wonder if he’ll require a fairly sizeable contract and he’s not quite the ilb talent I’d like starting.  But he’s capable enough and at least we have some potential behind him in Eifler (even if we don’t land a guy in the draft).

I did not have McCain as a release candidate but it does free up a decent chunk of money and must signal our FO's confidence in our secondary. Especially so given Schefter's tweet context.

I also do not understand how we have not release Carson Wentz and his $28m cap hit yet haha.

Additional context re: McCain and possibly off-season targets in the secondary ...

Updated cap per my expectations:

- Cut Norwell

- Cut Logan Thomas

- Cut Corn Lucas

- Cut Chase Roullier

- Cut Carson Wentz

2023 cap: $52 million; $33 million after Payne Tag

2024 cap:$153 million

Wildcard: Whether or not we cut Charles Leno. My guess is that we cut him if we sign a big name OT in free agency (Orlando Brown?)

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah, I'd be eyeballing the Logan Thomas situation hard if we are making moves now.

He'd be over 5 Mil in savings as both a pre and post J cut

I postd in the other thread about this last week. Cutting an injury-prone 32 year old Logan Thomas frees up $5m this year and $8m next year. Those would roughly be your 2023 and 2024 cap hits IF you chose to go out and get someone like Mike Gesicki (Spotrac market value of $8m APY). So you can swap Gesicki in and Thomas out and basically have no net change in cap this or next year.

The team is also said to be pretty high on Cole Turner ... John Bates and Amani Rodgers have also flashed. They have a young TE room. The question is ... is there enough there for Bieniemy to be cool with given his offense in KC ran through the TE as much as it did. Obviously you're not replicating Kelce, but having a Gesicki is a bit more safe than rolling with the group they've got (or adding a 4th TE to the mix from the draft given how it usually takes 2-3 years for these guys to hit their stride in the NFL).

• Thumb up 1

Post June-1st cut if you follow Schefter's tweet. I think we only get one of those, which is curious. But then again, not sure we have too many guys we'd want where we'd want to kick too much of the dead money into 2024. For McCain I think it's something like $2.5m next year, which is what his cap charge was going to be if he were on the roster. So no change in the 2024 cap as a result. 

Wentz is a foregone conclusion, so once that's official, along with the McCain post-June 1st cut, here's where things stand:

image.png.bd14deec8aeccdc695900be6e2e27dee.png

So if McCain is a post 1 June cut we don’t get any of that cap benefit until that date. Would seem a strange move that, be nice to have clarity on the designation of that release. Maybe that cap saving was just misreported. 

Chances are we are sat around the 35mil mark in cap space now anyway, give or take a couple each way. Never know for sure the exact numbers. 

Wonder if we tag Payne now to force that matter, especially if we do have trade interest as reported.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

So if McCain is a post 1 June cut we don’t get any of that cap benefit until that date. Would seem a strange move that, be nice to have clarity on the designation of that release. Maybe that cap saving was just misreported. 

Chances are we are sat around the 35mil mark in cap space now anyway, give or take a couple each way. Never know for sure the exact numbers. 

Wonder if we tag Payne now to force that matter, especially if we do have trade interest as reported.

Here's the current update:

image.png.04a1cb5cf14608a5420bb932b1321b81.png

And the update presuming the inevitable (at least initial) tag of Payne. 

image.png.654f208f4c85e94b0b051af66e471fe3.png

How do we know the McCain cut is a post June 1st one?  I didn't see that in the tweets.  Is it because the estimated cap savings is only that high even if he is a post June 1 designation?  Surely we can use that on a differ player we are to cut for more cap savings.  

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's the current update:

image.png.04a1cb5cf14608a5420bb932b1321b81.png

And the update presuming the inevitable (at least initial) tag of Payne. 

image.png.654f208f4c85e94b0b051af66e471fe3.png

If McCain is a post 1 June cut you can’t recognise that saving until that actual date, so without clarity on that designation the current position is still an unknown.

1 minute ago, RabidFan said:

How do we know the McCain cut is a post June 1st one?  I didn't see that in the tweets.  Is it because the estimated cap savings is only that high even if he is a post June 1 designation?  Surely we can use that on a differ player we are to cut for more cap savings.  

cutting him is $4million in savings after 6/1.  cutting him now is around $2million in savings.  

• Like 1

Just now, RabidFan said:

We don’t, but the 4.4mil saving in 2023 is only possible as a June 1st designation. Otherwise it’s 2.3 saving this year. The original tweet may be misleading.

Quick cliff notes on Standig's recent article about possible cuts/extensions:

- Samuel ($5.8m savings)

Unlikely but if the team needs cash they could re-work his deal. His $13m cap hit is 26th overall for WRs.

- Leno ($8m savings)

Unlikely unless they secure a franchise caliber LT in the draft. 2024 and 2025 include no guaranteed money so the team could part with him for nothing next off-season

- Roulier ($4.32m)

Could choose to part with Roullier due to injures but the savings are not substantial (this year). Could be a good candidate for a restructure to lower cap hit given Roullier likely doesn't have a robust market and would be happy to come to the table. 

- Kendall Fuller ($8.5m)

"No brainer extension candidate" given he's entering his final year and is still just 28. Could shift him to slot or safety as he declines with age on a long-term deal. Could lower cap number in 2023.

- Logan Thomas ($5.175m)

Thomas' roster spot appear tenuous, struggled last year as a blocker

- Andrew Norwell ($2.28m)

Norwell could be out the door if the Commanders stick to their word of wanting to get younger on OL, and Chris Paul got looks in the last week and could be an in-house replacement

- Corn Lucas ($3.45m)

Releasing Lucas would create depth concerns, particularly if the Commanders move Cosmi from RT to RG ... while not an ideal starter at least Washington knows he can handle duties if necessary

- JD McKissic ($1.23m)

Commanders have plenty of options for pass-catching backs with Gibson and Curtis Samuel.

5 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Schefter's tweet on it this morning stated that it would free up $4 million, which is the post-June 1st number. Other than that it's just speculation.

And while that post June 1st money doesn't hit until June 1st, it's still projected cap ... and you use it as you see fit. The team still needs to keep about $10m for in season maneuvering and signing of draft picks, so whether the team spends down to $6m on May 31 or whatever, they'll be back to that $10m nmber on the 1st. Not like they'll be spending into the red or anything before then.