Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Tress Is The Way said:

We'd saved 4.3 million, but also have 8.1 million in dead cap.

Making our total dead cap for 2023 around 25 million due to Landon Collins, WJ3, and Bobby McCain.

But, it would free up $12m in 2024. Not that we need that money but we’ll have so much $$ next year for the new owner to spend 

With Washington applying the franchise tag to Daron Payne, one question on Washington's defense was answered. Now let's fill another hole. Beyond Jamin Davis, the linebacking corps lacks reliable playmaking. The Commanders are almost certain to seek a free agent to plug the gap in the middle of Jack Del Rio's defense. Edwards would be a massive upgrade as a rising player who excels against the pass and owns the ability to play all three downs. Edwards can clean up against the run, cover in space and isn't too shabby when asked to rush. Swiping the LB away from the NFC East rival Eagles would also be a nice sweetener for Washington. 

• Like 3

Maybe familiarity w/ the system gives him a leg up but Kemp has 4 recs in 5 years of football. That is less than Dax had in either of his seasons.

He'll be hard pressed to bump off the guys at the bottom of our roster, since they all play STs too.

Its nice that he is tall tho. At 6-4 his main competition is likely Cam Simms.

• Like 1

Cole is not much of a solution to our LB problems but he is a heck of an insurance policy. Bonus points for already being well vested in the scheme as well.

I'd love to bring him back for a few mil a year.

The main downside is that he has not played on STs the last few years and you'll need other guys to pick up the slack, so you lose a touch of flexibility bringing him back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Thought they’d have been a bit more chatter coming from the combine re free agency. Other than Rodgers being heavily linked to the Jets, not much seems to be doing the rounds.

I didn’t think we’d hear much. Tampering is real and no one wants to get in trouble and lose picks.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Guessing one more FA signing, probably not as expensive as Kemp and then that's it.  On to the draft.

B2048F25-ECD4-4AAF-B7FF-A3A5B3DFD8DF.gif

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, FootballZombie said:

Cole is not much of a solution to our LB problems but he is a heck of an insurance policy. Bonus points for already being well vested in the scheme as well.

I'd love to bring him back for a few mil a year.

The main downside is that he has not played on STs the last few years and you'll need other guys to pick up the slack, so you lose a touch of flexibility bringing him back.

I think we undervalue Cole Holcomb.  I like him as a starter as long as he is fairly cheap.   In our salary cap era even Superbowl winning teams are going to have some starters that are cheap guys you can win with, but you won't win because of their play.   To me, Cole is kind of on the borderline between being that cheap starter you can win with and a solid starter.   I wouldn't quite call him a solid starter, but I feel he is a bit better than a cheap starter.

I feel like some of these free agent linebackers that intrigue posters are in the same tier of player as Cole.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 11
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Holcomb is a fine starter when on a late round rookie contract. But if he gets offered any sort of big contract you have to let him walk.

totally agree and add to that there are 2 off the top of my head LB's who are better and might not be breaking the bank for available in FA (Long from the Titans, who picked Wentz off to seal the game for them) and Edmonds from Buffalo...Edmonds would be the more expensive 1 imho

That Free Agency Frenzy graphic they are using on NFL Network is bloody weird isn’t it. Loads of helmets bouncing around with feet. They obviously don’t read this thread otherwise our helmet wouldn’t have even been on it. Or maybe it would have been but just dumped off to the side on a seat not involved in the bouncing around :rofl89:

22 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think we undervalue Cole Holcomb.  I like him as a starter as long as he is fairly cheap.   In our salary cap era even Superbowl winning teams are going to have some starters that are cheap guys you can win with, but you won't win because of their play.   To me, Cole is kind of on the borderline between being that cheap starter you can win with and a solid starter.   I wouldn't quite call him a solid starter, but I feel he is a bit better than a cheap starter.

I feel like some of these free agent linebackers that intrigue posters are in the same tier of player as Cole.

Eh.

Holcomb is very hit and miss. As long as he's cheap he's worth having. And until we can get another guy along side Jamin, having him as a starter makes some sense. But our ILB situation isn't in great shape. But it could be worse. Any time Holcomb and Davis aren't on the field is scary. 

I'm not opposed to Holcomb on a friendly deal. 

Holcomb ended up picking up just short of a couple of extra Mil in performance escalators. Contract paid him little more than 2.5mil in 2022. I’d suggest that range isn’t too far off what his value is. Not sure I’d pay much more, if at all.