Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Will see, pun intended, Keim didn't say they'd chase Will Hernandez but he rarely name drops a player for no reason

Standig this morning didn't think they are going to engage much in FA.   Keim seems to think that they will be more aggressive than the vibe I get from Standig.  Unless Standig simply means the big sexy FAs won't be in play -- Keim does agree with that.

But if they sign multiple players in the range that Keim mentioned yesterday 5-8 million.  That's enough to sign at least one O lineman and one defender who is theory should make an impact

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But if they sign multiple players in the range that Keim mentioned yesterday 5-8 million.  That's enough to sign at least one O lineman and one defender who is theory should make an impact

Realistically, how many linemen do we need to upgrade the offensive line? Center, guard and a tackle? 

On the roster

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Orlando Brown is back in play now IMO. 

Keim isn't perfect but if they chase him boy will he among the other beats guys get that one wrong, they specifically said they won't chase Brown.  But will see.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Realistically, how many linemen do we need to upgrade the offensive line? Center, guard and a tackle? 

On the roster

I think if they sign a good guard and center or two guards its a game changer for the draft, takes a lot of pressure off

Keim name dropped Wylie and Hernandez.  Wylie could play both guard and tackle.  Keim didn't say they'd chase them but his hypothetical scenarios usually have a method to the madness and those are the hypothetical names he dropped. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim isn't perfect but if they chase him boy will he among the other beats guys get that one wrong, they specifically said they won't chase Brown.  But will see.

I think if they sign a good guard and center or two guards its a game changer for the draft, takes a lot of pressure off

Would you trade for R. Kelly, Colts center...maybe give up a 3rd and future 5th?

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Would you trade for R. Kelly, Colts center...maybe give up a 3rd and future 5th?

I haven't followed his play closely, liked him before the draft.  The amount of sacks-pressures he's given up the last two years is atrocious so based on that i wouldn't touch him.

I do trust Masko though.  I suspect they put it on a lot of time into plotting how to rehab the O line so I'll trust whatever they do. 

I am a bit partial to Will Hernandez, i really liked him before the draft.  He's not had a hot career though until lately but loved him in college.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

On the roster

G Trai Turner

C/G Wes Schweitzer

C Tyler Larsen

Those 3 are free agents. I know Martin and Martin ended the year on the roster but I'm not sure if they are under contract.

OT: Leno, Cosmi, Lucas

OG: Norwell, Paul, Charles

OC: Roullier

I know for a fact those are the guys under contract.

As for Will Hernandez, I don't know what his market will be (Spotrac doesn't have project numbers on him). But I read somewhere he was someone that could be signed to a 1-3 year deal at $2-3m per year. If that's the case, then I would suspect he would replace Norwell on the roster. There's not necessarily a need to cut Norwell if we sign Hernandez ... we could certainly let those two compete with Chris Paul at LG, but my guess is Norwell is the odd man out come cut-down day, unless Norwell or Paul can back-up Cosmi at RG, in which case I think we'd be able to keep both Norwell and Hernandez given they'd be fairly cheap. Norwell might not be the ideal starting LG at this stage in his career, but he could certainly be a quality backup and the cap savings moving on from him would only be $2m this year. Might make sense to keep him around as veteran depth. 

The wild card ultimately ends up being Roullier and Cosmi. Keim and Standig and Finlay and anyone else who's weighed in seems to think the team is moving him to RG, which I doubt they'd be sharing if that wasn't likely the case. And with Roullier, it's the injuries. And you can save some decent $$ parting with him this year ($4m) as well as $10-12m next year. So if you find a FA like Pocic or Bradberry and really like them, then I could see the interest in bringing them in given their cap hits wouldn't exceed what Roullier is making the next 2 years.

I also suspect it'll be fairly quiet here at noon. MAYBE we get a guy at LB that we pay up for, but the tampering window is not an area we've been particularly active the last few years. And most of the guys signing for $5-8m per year don't get announced early in the tampering period. So everyone will need to be patient.

Here are my guys I think we end up having a shot at ...

CB Ronald Darby

LB Germaine Pratt

G Will Hernandez

T Andrew Wylie
TE Josh Oliver

Those guys won't come with big contracts, but would fill major needs. I think of the group, Pratt would likely be the most expensive. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

RT, LG, and C. But C could be fine if Roullier and/or Larsen can return to form. I know people are banking on Paul to take over at LG but the guy has played one whole game in his career and was a late round pick. We shouldn't hope for him to be anything more than a backup at this stage. And Lucas, while a fine backup/swing T, should not be relied upon as a quality starting RT. I think that's the priority.

We're fine at LT and RG with Leno and Cosmi, but if a potential stud LT prospect is available at 16 you take him.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

RT, LG, and C. But C could be fine if Roullier and/or Larsen can return to form. I know people are banking on Paul to take over at LG but the guy has played one whole game in his career and was a late round pick. We shouldn't hope for him to be anything more than a backup at this stage. And Lucas, while a fine backup/swing T, should not be relied upon as a quality starting RT. I think that's the priority.

We're fine at LT and RG with Leno and Cosmi, but if a potential stud LT prospect is available at 16 you take him.

Leno is average to good. You can certainly upgrade him. He would also save you $8m and $14m off the cap the next two years if you cut him. We have seen a reluctance from this FO to cut veterans, and he was just extended last year, so moving on from him THIS year seems unlikely. I think the most obvious would be to draft an OT at #16 (or later in R1 with a trade-down), and have them come in at RT. If they can flip to LT next year great, otherwise you keep them at RT and go after a LT next year if you think Leno can be upgraded in 2024 via the draft or FA.

My projections for this off-season would be ... Sign a Will Hernandez to compete at LG. Draft an OT in the 1st and a Center somewhere between R2 and R5. Possibly draft another developmental OT to replace Lucas after 2023 to join Saahdiq Charles as backup OT. 

Center is where there seems to be the most uncertainty. I could see us being aggressive on a Center in FA and cutting Roullier. And if that happens, you eliminate Center from a draft need. Meaning you only need a RT in the draft and then you can target developmental depth on the interior later on. Which could free up earlier picks for CB, LB, DE, or whoever is BPA after you get an OT

• Like 2

So let's get this right, we are spending 40m on our starting DT's and we are hoping that we can get by with new signings on the OL for 5m or less cap figures each, I'm sure we did this last year, and look what happened there. So we are going to send our 5th round pick QB out on the field with other teams castoffs OL, disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. We've got 26m cap space to play with so let's go and get some quality OL to give our offense a chance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

So let's get this right, we are spending 40m on our starting DT's and we are hoping that we can get by with new signings on the OL for 5m or less cap figures each, I'm sure we did this last year, and look what happened there. So we are going to send our 5th round pick QB out on the field with other teams castoffs OL, disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. We've got 26m cap space to play with so let's go and get some quality OL to give our offense a chance. 

We'll have other players coming up for extensions in the coming years. You don't wanna blow your load on average to decent guys this year and then risk losing guys like Curl and Sweat next year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Leno - X - Roullier - Cosmi - X

One of those X's could be filled in the draft. The other would be in FA. You can get a pretty solid Guard or Center for $5-8m range if that is in fact the field we'll be playing in.

Someone like Will Hernandez does really intrigue me. I loved him coming out of UTEP. He bombed in NY but NY was also kind of a mess those years, and he rebounded pretty nicely by all accounts in Arizona. I'm okay taking a flier on a 27 year old former 2nd round pick at LG if the backup plan is Andrew Norwell and a late-round rookie they're high on in Chris Paul. LG being average to good is okay with me.

In 2023 we had:

LT: Average to good with potential to be good again

LG: Average at best

OC: Bad, but due to injuries

RG: Bad

RT: Average to good

By flipping Cosmi to RG and drafting an RT early, you've flipped Bad and Average to Good/Really good with the possibility of Good/Really good at RT

So you've gone from a right side that was bad to average to one that could be good to really good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

As for Will Hernandez, I don't know what his market will be (Spotrac doesn't have project numbers on him). But I read somewhere he was someone that could be signed to a 1-3 year deal at $2-3m per year. If that's the case, then I would suspect he would replace Norwell on the roster. There's not necessarily a need to cut Norwell if we sign Hernandez ... we could certainly let those two compete with Chris Paul at LG, but my guess is Norwell is the odd man out come cut-down day, unless Norwell or Paul can back-up Cosmi at RG, in which case I think we'd be able to keep both Norwell and Hernandez given they'd be fairly cheap. Norwell might not be the ideal starting LG at this stage in his career, but he could certainly be a quality backup and the cap savings moving on from him would only be $2m this year. Might make sense to keep him around as veteran depth. 

Keim said Turner is out.  Norwell depending on what else they do. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The remaining free agents will likely be mid or low tier free agents.

And in FA that’s almost where the value is.  Big name/high prices FAs rarely are worth the deals they get.  

This fan base use to go apoplectic when we spent money in FA and didn’t develop draft picks, now we’re drafting and developing and it’s going apoplectic because we’re not signing big name FAs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:58 PM, Est.1974 said:

Could well be right. Want he the instant pick about 2 minutes after the Trent trade was announced.

Yep. The word is he would’ve been a 2nd rd pick if not for off the field issues, which is why we were all excited with him. The guy has the tools to be a very good starting guard but something is missing

Dillard and Smith are my top options on the OL. Dillard can play both inside and outside and excels in pass pro. He is definitely going to be in the $3M-$8M range. Bram mentioned him but Bram admitted it’s a guess on his part

I really would love to have a Wagner or David. Having that veteran captain of the defense leader put this group over the top. Doesn’t seem like they would pay the $10M-$15M AAV it will take though

1 minute ago, method man said:

Dillard and Smith are my top options on the OL. Dillard can play both inside and outside and excels in pass pro. He is definitely going to be in the $3M-$8M range. Bram mentioned him but Bram admitted it’s a guess on his part

I really would love to have a Wagner or David. Having that veteran captain of the defense leader put this group over the top. Doesn’t seem like they would pay the $10M-$15M AAV it will take though

If we spend big anywhere off the OL I hope it's at LB. Feel like with Davis emerging last year, adding a real legit second option would take this defense to the next level. It doesn't have to be Tremaine Edmunds, but that would be the splash I would get excited for. There are other LBs that would be solid additions (Pratt), but Edmunds would be fun. And he's still really young, believe he was a 20 year old rookie. And he's made 2 pro-bowls in 5 years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Totally agree.  Always the same every year...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Leno - X - Roullier - Cosmi - X

In 2023 we had:

LT: Average to good with potential to be good again

LG: Average at best

OC: Bad, but due to injuries

RG: Bad

RT: Average to good

By flipping Cosmi to RG and drafting an RT early, you've flipped Bad and Average to Good/Really good with the possibility of Good/Really good at RT

So you've gone from a right side that was bad to average to one that could be good to really good.

All of that sounds great in March, but the first injury in October blows up that paper championship logic.  We need several linemen. A couple of high quality starters and quality backups.  That offensive line was historically bad last year, where we couldn’t protect AT ALL, and finished off the rest of Carson Wentz’ wobbly career.

I hope Bienemy brings some of what they did in Kansas City to us because they completely revamped that group after the debacle in the superbowl a couple years back. We need another bookend tackle to start and a bunch of young big uglys in the middle.  A lot.

Henry Winkler Reaction GIF by HBO

• Like 5

Wowser! Been off-line for a couple of days and this is great news to come back too! And even better is the news about the escrow payments. All that talk about Snyder not having money to put up goes out the window. And with Snyder knowing that his future is as a fan only, why not go on a big spending spree and try to improve the team?? And are we allowed to talk about Lamar again now? I know it’s still a pipe dream, but it seems crazy to me that so many of you don’t even want him at all. That said, let’s go shopping for O line...That’s one thing I think everybody agrees on.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

All of that sounds great in March, but the first injury in October blows up that paper championship logic.  We need several linemen. A couple of high quality starters and quality backups.  That offensive line was historically bad last year, where we couldn’t protect AT ALL, and finished off the rest of Carson Wentz’ wobbly career.

There would be more than that, obviously. I'm just trying to strike a balance between reality and hope. I've been burned by wishful thinking/expecting big names for too long in areas of need. My best guess is ...

LT: Leno

LG: Will Hernandez, Andrew Norwell, Chris Paul

OC: Chase Roullier, Rookie 3rd rounder

RG: Sam Cosmi, Saahdiq Charles

RT: Andrew Wylie, Rookie 1st Rounder

The Rookie 1st rounder could push Wylie to Swing Tackle or supplant Leno at LT