Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

46 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

So let's get this right, we are spending 40m on our starting DT's and we are hoping that we can get by with new signings on the OL for 5m or less cap figures each, I'm sure we did this last year, and look what happened there. So we are going to send our 5th round pick QB out on the field with other teams castoffs OL, disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. We've got 26m cap space to play with so let's go and get some quality OL to give our offense a chance. 

I have been saying this for years. The reason we never have a good QB is because they are always running for their life. I also believe that we can have the #1 rated defense in the league starting the game and by the time the game is over they are the 32nd rated defense due to fatigue and injury. I think there are some very knowledgeable people on here that are also previous/current defensive coaches and maybe tend to trend towards the "Best Defense" on earth scenario.....which is not a bad thing if you have a good balance between the two. But we don't, and haven't for a long time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There would be more than that, obviously. I'm just trying to strike a balance between reality and hope. I've been burned by wishful thinking/expecting big names for too long in areas of need. My best guess is ...

LT: Leno

LG: Will Hernandez, Andrew Norwell, Chris Paul

OC: Chase Roullier, Rookie 3rd rounder

RG: Sam Cosmi, Saahdiq Charles

RT: Andrew Wylie, Rookie 1st Rounder

The Rookie 1st rounder could push Wylie to Swing Tackle or supplant Leno at LT

I hear you, but I think I’d be out of the Chase Roullier business and I hope to never see Saahdiq Charles trotting out there in the middle of the 2nd quarter, ever again!  Sam Cosmi feels like he’s always nicked up too. I did like Chris Paul, seems like a solid young guard and Tyler Larsen felt like he could shoulder the center load if he spends this offseason in the weight room getting stronger. 

Last year was embarrassing, we got to blow that line up, they were the anti-hogs last year, more like the piglets.

Edited by lovemaskins
Sp
  • Like 2

Orlando Brown would be the premier signing but we just extended Leno last year and I have a hard time seeing us cut him despite his potential cap savings. To me, it makes more logical sense to draft an OT to play RT this year and slide him to LT if Leno falls off or you see a potential saving in 2024.

It will be interesting to see what happens if we sign a RT to starting RT money. Does Leno get the axe in the name of a rookie 1st round OT? Do we instead prioritize LG or Center early in the draft and instead draft a developmental OT in the 2nd or 3rd? Do we still draft an OT in the 1st and let them compete with leno at LT out of the gate, or compete with Wylie for RT and relegate the loser to replace Lucas as our Swing OT? Do you want to spend a 1st on a rookie OT who won't see the field full-time? If your rookie OT can't beat out Wylie at RT in Year 1, is that someone you can fully lean-on to replace Leno at LT in 2024? I guess the answer could be yes if that 1st round OT is a raw, developmental guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Of course, we could swing big. Really big. My dream scenario? 

LT: Orlando Brown, Jr. 

LG: Will Hernandez, Chris Paul

OC: John Michael Schmitz (2nd), Tyler Larsen

RG: Sam Cosmi, Saahdiq Charles

RT: Dawand Jones (1st), Cornelius Lucas

A) We won't sign Brown. I know this.

Now you’re my hero! That’s what I’d like my front office to attempt. I’d be happy with that if we kept Leno at left. Offensive line is really our only glaring weakness. Sure a shiny corner or linebacker would be nice, so too a plushy tight end, but we need to spend most of the resources up front. Like a poster mentioned earlier, we have over 40M on the defensive front, but we’re sending the rag-tag bunch out on offense!? 

Edited by lovemaskins
Sp
  • Like 2

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Big Thanos lol

I always keep an eye out for the dudes w/ sweet nicknames. Is he pegged to go in the first? His tagline alone makes him worthy.

I've seen him anywhere from #16 to Washington to mid-20's. He could be a trade-back target. In Standig's mock draft today, he has Washington trading down with KC to #31 and taking O'Cyrus Torrence. Anton Harrison, OT from Oklahoma goes at 28 to Cincinnati, but Dawand Jones is still there and could be taken at #31, but Standig has us taking Florida OG Torrence instead. I think many here think we'd target Jones or Harrison at #16 or later in the 1st, quesitons about whether Harrison could end up being a riser closer to the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The daron Payne extension freeing up significant funds right before FA kickoff leads me to believe we’re looking at spending… reports up through last week seemed to be that we’d be quiet, only aiming for a couple mid-tier players.

I’ve always been on the quality over quantity... give me one stud over 3 JAGs.

that said, woof the FA market is awful this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

The daron Payne extension freeing up significant funds right before FA kickoff leads me to believe we’re looking at spending… reports up through last week seemed to be that we’d be quiet, only aiming for a couple mid-tier players.

This seems logical....it tells me they at least have targets. 

• Like 2

The truth behind Lamar Jackson-Washington Commanders rumors

Adam Schefter sends Lamar Jackson to the Commanders in an elaborate prank on Barstool Sports hosts

It’s good that Schefter has established himself as one of the nation’s most reliable NFL reporters because acting is definitely not in his future. The long-time ESPN insider was pulling the noses of Big Cat and PFT for cheap entertainment, and for all we know, everybody was just playing along.

There hasn’t been one single rumor about Jackson being linked to the Washington Commanders so far this offseason; had Jackson’s fake destination been the Atlanta Falcons or New York Jets, that would have been much more believable.

In his hilarious response, PFT accused Schefter of giving him Carson Wentz last year, referring to Wentz’s trade to Washington that culminated in more failure for the now-disgraced quarterback.

Barstool Sports’ hosts will continue dreaming of a Lamar Jackson-Commanders trade that, barring some insane time-warping twist in the universe, will never happen.

The Commanders have 2022 fifth-rounder Sam Howell at the top of their QB depth chart for now, a less than desirable option who played just one game for Washington last season. The franchise may make a move for another quarterback this offseason, but it won’t be Lamar Jackson, who’s in all likelihood getting franchise-tagged by Baltimore.

Sorry, Washington fans. There’s always next year.

Edited by FrFan

I’m operating under the assumption we will, at minimum, draft 1 OL in the first 2 rounds, and then draft one of the top center prospects in rds 3-5.   I’d say the odds are higher that first guy is a tackle, though a guard is certainly possible as well.  

I’m also assuming Keim et al are correct in that we won’t be doling out a substantial contract for a FA OL.

So, with that context, I think it makes sense to go hard after Whyle as well as a higher end FA guard.  Whyle gives you competition at the RT position, depth at T/G, and brings with him a knowledge of the system.  The FA guard slots in on the left side.  I think they will/ought to bring back Schweitzer as well.

The starting line becomes:  Leno, FA guard, Roullier, Cosmi, Rookie RT

Whyle and Lucas compete for the swing tackle job, but Whyle’s ability to backup the guard spot means you can keep both and therefore be 4 deep at tackle.  Also possible one of those two hold down the RT spot until the rook is ready.

Schweitzer backs up the 3 IOL spots (even if he’s the 3rd man up at those spots).

The rookie center backs up Roullier - improving our depth and (hopefully) giving us our starter of the future.

In theory, the FA guard and Cosmi improve our guard spots, Roullier (and the rook) improve the center position, the rookie RT is an improvement over last year.  Might not see massive improvement, but 1) improving 4 spots is nothing to scoff at, and 2) our depth is improved as well.

Whyle and Schweitzer give us some versatility, Lucas is a solid back up (and Cosmi can kick out to tackle if **** really hits the fan).  Maybe we carry a 10th lineman, but it’s less necessary as each spot is covered twice over.

Lastly, you’ve got some promising youth in Cosmi, Paul, and the rookie center and tackle.

11 hours ago, CommanderCarson said:

A guy that can win games as a backup is a guy that has value, shame some people don’t get that.

I think the actual, genuine, shame is the ES tradition that some posters develop a fix on and cling to gutter-level qbs with gusto and bring weak, vapid, reasoning as to why to the table.

But there's always hope, even if hope can be a dangerous thing. 😁🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Its really annoying that Florio's math checks out and he can keep saying stuff like that.

If you give Lamar a fully G deal, he may not care about getting a large signing bonus. You could see something as low as Josh Allen's 16M. Then Dan gets to walk away only 16M in on a colossal 250 Mil deal. You don't even need fat pockets to pull it off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Whyle and Lucas compete for the swing tackle job, but Whyle’s ability to backup the guard spot means you can keep both and therefore be 4 deep at tackle.  Also possible one of those two hold down the RT spot until the rook is ready.

Don't forget Charles. The team still really likes him. Not sure we can rely on him as a starter. But he is listed on the depth chart at OT and plays OG so you'd probably cut Lucas and save $4m in that scenario. Charles and Whylie both having T/G flexibility means you can have those 2 behind Leno and Rookie OT and cut Lucas

• Like 2

In 2021 he got a Concussion, Back Lower Lumbar Sprain/Pull, Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2,

In 2022 he got : Knee PCL Sprain Grade 2 forcing him to miss 6 games including wild card

He has only 1 playoffs win in 4 seasons (despite 10-6, 10-7, 14-2 and 11-5 seasons)

He turned down a five-year contract extension offer from the Ravens worth $250 million, with $133 million fully guaranteed !!! :stop:

I believe he is not worth what he is seeking for and moreover it will cost a couple of firsts and a second to trade for him. He can stay with the Ravens.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Don't forget Charles. The team still really likes him. Not sure we can rely on him as a starter. But he is listed on the depth chart at OT and plays OG so you'd probably cut Lucas and save $4m in that scenario. Charles and Whylie both having T/G flexibility means you can have those 2 behind Leno and Rookie OT and cut Lucas

Yeah, he’s the 10th in my scenario.  Well, him and Norwell, though I think we take the savings cutting the latter.  Seeing as how Lucas was next man up at tackle, not Paul, I’d be slightly surprised if they chose Paul.  But, if Whyle is in the fold (and Cosmi/Paul both providing emergency T depth), it’s certainly possible they move on from Lucas.  Of course it depends on the draft - if we don’t land an OT early, it’s a bit harder to see us cutting Lucas.

35 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I think the actual, genuine, shame is the ES tradition that some posters develop a fix on and cling to gutter-level qbs with gusto and bring weak, vapid, reasoning as to why to the table.

But there's always hope, even if hope can be a dangerous thing. 😁🙂

the shawshank redemption life GIF

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Are the Falcons going to deal Kyle Pitts? He would be worth the compensatory 3rd we just got. He would be good in a KC style offense under EB. 

Nah, they are not trading Pitts.

• Thumb up 1