Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, The Rook said:

I'm thinking Atlanta.

:229:The Rook

Atlanta have apparently told Matt Ryan they are going after Watson. Does not mean they will land him but it suggests they are very strong contenders.

1 minute ago, ZarG3 said:

I love how a lot of people are complaining that we aren't making any big splashes in FA.. when years ago all we did was make big splashes in FA..yall really are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

A lifestyle was provided and we became accustomed to it.

Buy me something

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, ZarG3 said:

I love how a lot of people are complaining that we aren't making any big splashes in FA.. when years ago all we did was make big splashes in FA..yall really are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 🤣

People hated that we went after mediocre or aging players past their productive years for big money. I don’t think anyone wants that back.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Atlanta have apparently told Matt Ryan they are going after Watson. Does not mean they will land him but it suggests they are very strong contenders.

Throw Ryan in the deal and the Texans have someone for Mills to learn from

• Like 1

Just now, mhd24 said:

That's crazy.  Where does Cleveland go from here at QB?  

They have nowhere left to turn besides picking up the phone and calling Ron Rivera of the Washington Commanders to inquire about the availability of Taylor Heinicke. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Doesn’t it make you curious that no one from the organization to the new Commanders app has talked about Wentz and him coming here? Hmmm… One can only dream

Yes we traded a second and third but we could get some picks back even after trading a couple first round picks. I highly doubt Payne would be involved in a trade with Ionnadis released. 

The Commanders had tried to trade Ioannidis in the past week, a source told ESPN, but with him entering the final year of his contract, they were unsuccessful.

The move surprised Herman.

"When someone tells you two weeks ago that he's solid as a rock, would it take you by surprise?" Herman told ESPN. "Give us a heads up; free agency is coming and we want to make sure the player lands on his feet. Granted, [general manager] Martin Mayhew called and apologized. I've dealt with Rob for years and this is the first time I've ever had a situation like this with him. Always professional."

According to multiple sources, Washington's plans changed last week after the team acquired quarterback Carson Wentz and his $28 million cap hit for this season. One source also said his understanding was they were told Ioannidis was safe "at this time."

"It just takes our player out of the market for three days, and that's the troubling part of this," Herman said. "If you're even thinking about doing it, then give us a heads up so we can prepare."

Herman said five teams had already called about Ioannidis within the first hour of him being released.

The Commanders, as reported earlier this week, also are releasing safety Landon Collins, which will save them another $6.6 million when the move becomes official.

Washington needed to free up room after acquiring Wentz, a move that left the team with about $5 million in cap space prior to the releases. But some of these moves likely would have been made anyway.

By cutting Ioannidis, Washington lost more depth along the defensive front -- an area of strength the past two seasons. Another reserve, Tim Settle, will sign a two-year deal with Buffalo on Wednesday.

According to a source, Washington made a last-second effort to keep Settle, but could not match a deal that averages up to $4.5 million per year.

The Commanders still have four first-round picks starting along the front with tackles Jon Allen and Daron Payne and ends Montez Sweat and Chase Young.

Ioannidis, a fifth-round pick in 2016, recorded 24.5 sacks in 73 games with Washington. But 16 of those occurred in 2018-19. He missed 13 games in 2020 and had 2.5 sacks in 16 games this past season.

Washington traded for Flowers last spring, swapping seventh-round picks with Miami. Flowers started 16 games. He also played for Washington in 2019, signing as a free agent and moving from tackle to guard. He then signed a three-year deal with Miami.

Washington also must replace perennial Pro Bowl right guard Brandon Scherff, who is signing a three-year deal with Jacksonville.

Everett was involved in a Dec. 23 car accident that killed his girlfriend Olivia Peters. Everett has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. According to the Loudoun County (Va.,) sheriff's department, an investigation found that Everett was driving 90 miles an hour - twice the legal limit - when he crashed.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

Doesn’t it make you curious that no one from the organization to the new Commanders app has talked about Wentz and him coming here? Hmmm… One can only dream

Yes we traded a second and third but we could get some picks back even after trading a couple first round picks. I highly doubt Payne would be involved in a trade with Ionnadis released. 

They can’t comment on it (or hold pressers with him or anything else) until 4pm