Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle


Riggo-toni
 Share

Recommended Posts

Our 2021 season is over, so time to keep track of the new off-season. I will try and keep this up to date, but probably won't bother with futures contracts and camp fodder.

Feel free to post desired signings et al whilst we wait for FA period to start.

Cut:

Flowers 

Ioannidis 

Everett 

Landon Collins

 

 

Signed 

Andrew Norwell

Efe Obada (for some reason I worry this is breaking the no politics rule...)

Trai Turner

 

Signed elsewhere:

Brandon Scherff

Kyle Allen 

Tim Settle 

DeAndre Carter

 

 

 

Edited by Riggo-toni
We're now the Commies
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

40 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The Official ES (or EWhatever)

 

 

Maybe the new team name starts with an "S" so we can remain ES ;)

Although I don't think any S names have been in the conversation. Although we could be surprised.

 

I'll start with our own FA's. And who I wish for :

 

Definitely want :

McKissic

McCain

Deandre Carter

Tim Settle

 

Possibly want (as backups or depth), depending who else signs, etc :

Cam Sims

Torry McTyer

Cornelius Lucas

Humphries

Ricky Seals Jones

Danny Johnson

Tyler Larsen

Kyle Allen

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

As for other teams's FA, maybe Alexander Johnson of Denver could be a possibility at MLB ?

The downside is he's 30 years old, and had a recent torn pectoral, but he has the talent

 

 

Johnson would be a great add, as would Josey Jewell.  We need to get someone decent at MLB via free agency so we aren't so desperate when the draft rolls around, and may potentially even strike out there too.

 

A couple other affordable guys I'd like to get:

 

Cordarelle Patterson - love his versatility, and he can run the ball 8 times a game to lessen the wear on Gibson.  He is a chess piece that can move around the formation, and with fellow chess pieces Gibson, JD, Samuel, and Terry, makes it even harder to game plan for and should take some pressure of a new qb.

 

James Connor - was awesome in AZ, and should be affordable.  Non elite running backs don't carry too heavy a price tag, and he can be the rich mans Peyton barber to handle short yardage and goal line, while also keeping Gibson fresh and healthy.  Sony Michel also could be a good option.

 

Marcus Mariota - my preferred FA target at QB.  had the pedigree coming out of college, and pocket awareness and taking sacks was his Achilles heel in Tenn.  That line was awful before they revamped, hopefully an improved line and a couple more years experience will help him be who we thought he could be.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our current free agents grouped by position (courtesy of Spotrac).

 

Player Pos      Age      2021 AAV        Status
Tyler Larsen C 30.5 $1,040,000 UFA
Corn Elder CB 27.2 $920,000 UFA
Danny Johnson CB 26.2 $1,035,000 UFA
Bobby McCain CB 28.4 $1,475,000 UFA
Torry McTyer CB 26.8 $990,000 UFA
Darryl Roberts CB 31.1 $1,615,000 UFA
Tim Settle DT 24.5 $682,010 UFA
Jamil Douglas G 29.8 $920,000 UFA
Brandon Scherff G 30 $18,036,000 UFA
Jon Bostic ILB 30.7 $2,550,000 UFA
David Mayo ILB 28.4 $990,000 UFA
Joey Slye K 25.8 $850,000 UFA
Jordan Kunaszyk LB 25.2 $762,500 RFA
Cornelius Lucas LT 30.5 $1,900,000 UFA
Jalen Jelks OLB 25.4 $660,000 ERFA
Jared Norris OLB 28.4 $990,000 UFA
Kyle Allen QB 25.8 $850,000 RFA
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB 39.1 $10,000,000 UFA
J.D. McKissic RB 28.4 $1,635,000 UFA
Troy Apke S 26.8 $790,909 UFA
Najee Toran T 26.2 - ERFA
Ricky Seals-Jones TE 26.8 $990,000 UFA
Deandre Carter WR 28.8 $970,000 UFA
Adam Humphries     WR 28.5 $1,190,000 UFA
Cam Sims WR 26 $2,133,000 UFA
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The team over the cap 

Saints-64 million 

Packers-42 million 

Cowboys-13 million 

Vickings- 11 million 

Are all over the salary cap what player would be available from those teams?

People get all excited over these kinds of numbers every year but they are usually easily fixed with simple restructurings. 

 

Green Bay is set up that way to force a decision on Rodgers. Either they have to deal or re-do his contract.

 

New Orleans is weird because they don't have players they can gain much by cutting. A lot of restructures. I would think they'll have trouble resigning their premium FAs though (Armstead, Winston, William)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of our FA list, there isn't anyone I'll be devastated if they walk.  I'd like to re sign JD and McCain, would love settle to return on a team friendly deal but don't see it happening.  Wouldn't mind Lucas, RSJ, Danny Johnson, or Carter.   But I'm not sweating any of them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

 

 

Maybe the new team name starts with an "S" so we can remain ES ;)

Although I don't think any S names have been in the conversation. Although we could be surprised.

 

I'll start with our own FA's. And who I wish for :

 

Definitely want :

McKissic

McCain

Deandre Carter

Tim Settle

 

Possibly want (as backups or depth), depending who else signs, etc :

Cam Sims

Torry McTyer

Cornelius Lucas

Humphries

Ricky Seals Jones

Danny Johnson

Tyler Larsen

Kyle Allen

 


Good lists, I agree with these except I'd move RSJ to the first list and add Joey Slye.

  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speculation suggests that Cowboys may release Amare due to cap issues (at least they say so on their board).  We tried signing him two years ago.  With Terry needed to be extended, I doubt we go after him (and pay big money to two WRs (not including Samuel).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

People get all excited over these kinds of numbers every year but they are usually easily fixed with simple restructurings. 

 

Green Bay is set up that way to force a decision on Rodgers. Either they have to deal or re-do his contract.

 

New Orleans is weird because they don't have players they can gain much by cutting. A lot of restructures. I would think they'll have trouble resigning their premium FAs though (Armstead, Winston, William)

Saw a Fansided blurb about Kendricks being a possible cap casualty.  Would be nice to have a larger inventory of mlb candidates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

How about Gallup ? He's going to be a FA and they probably won't have the $ to re-sign hiim

Torn ACL against the Eagles last game of the season. Probably cheap though.  Vander Esch will probably walk as well with Parsons there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Torn ACL against the Eagles last game of the season. Probably cheap though.  Vander Esch will probably walk as well with Parsons there.

 

That team seems about to fall apart in more ways than one.

The cap and free agency seemed to give them a very short window to try to win it all, and it looks like that window has already closed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Cordarelle Patterson - love his versatility, and he can run the ball 8 times a game to lessen the wear on Gibson.  He is a chess piece that can move around the formation, and with fellow chess pieces Gibson, JD, Samuel, and Terry, makes it even harder to game plan for and should take some pressure of a new qb.

 

James Connor - was awesome in AZ, and should be affordable.  Non elite running backs don't carry too heavy a price tag, and he can be the rich mans Peyton barber to handle short yardage and goal line, while also keeping Gibson fresh and healthy.  Sony Michel also could be a good option.

I agree these two should be looked at. I like Connor best to team with Gibson and JD. Would make a nice combo and allow more freedoms in the draft with him signed

 

Also watch for 2018 2nd round CB Donte Jackson. Why, because he might not be overly expensive and ...of course, he is a Panther lol. He was one of Ron's last picks so he liked him and knows his strengths and weaknesses. 

 

And I am in Marcus Williams !!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Need to get into this Free Agency class. Would expect the usual raft of cuts too.

 

I could see us adding a vet depth onto the OL. How about the usual conversation about OJ Howard or Njoku at TE. Wouldn’t need to trade for either this offseason....

 

That said, my initial primary targets are

 

Jermaine Carter, MLB, 4 years under his belt, also links to the area I believe

Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye, S

 

Carter and Williams would be ideal. MLB and FS sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Need to get into this Free Agency class. Would expect the usual raft of cuts too.

 

I could see us adding a vet depth onto the OL. How about the usual conversation about OJ Howard or Njoku at TE. Wouldn’t need to trade for either this offseason....

 

That said, my initial primary targets are

 

Jermaine Carter, MLB, 4 years under his belt, also links to the area I believe

Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye, S

 

Carter and Williams would be ideal. MLB and FS sorted.

Maye was my top FA for a while, but his injury and arrest have me wanting Williams pretty badly now. Bates III from Cinci might be a good pick up with his experience with WJIII

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guesses (not players) but ...

 

Defense:

CB: Ronald Darby type of signing ... 1 year $5m to bolster Fuller, Jackson and BSJ

MLB: The "splash" FA signing to me is a MLB

FS: Re-sign McCain to a cheap deal to supplement Curl

DE: Need some veteran depth here, nothing splashy ... 1-quality rotational piece to add to the 3 young DEs we rotated in this year

DT: If we trade Payne, then we NEED to re-sign Settle

 

Offense:

RB: Love the idea of adding a high-caliber RB to spell Gibson, and yeah let's bring back McKissic

QB: Sign a Trubisky or Mariota type as INSURANCE that you don't have to force a rookie into the lineup Week 1

WR: Think we have to stand pat here

TE: Re-sign RSJ as valuable depth

OL: Maybe bring in a veteran for a short term deal as depth

 

The only *Glaring* Hole we have to fill is at LB ... the rest is really depth. We are in a bit of a weird position in that we have lots of young talent and recent FA additions that are somewhat unproven. We can't necessarily bank on bouncebacks in 2022, but we don't exactly have the ability to go drop big $$ on another player to come in and compete.

 

CB as an example. You have Jackson and Fuller making significant $$, you cannot go drop $10+ on another CB that is likely your 3rd CB. BSJ is there as well, but you DO want a veteran presence, so a cheaper 1-year bounceback deal makes sense there.

 

Same can be said for WR. You have McLaurin and Samuel (theoretically) making the big $$ ... I see a veteran add here making some sense (like Adam Humphries last year). But I could also see us target a WR in the draft to compete with Brown.

 

*bottom line, I don't see us going crazy in FA ... I think we play it smart ... we re-sign the guys we need to keep, we bring in a couple of veteran options on defense and at RB, and we sign a MLB to anchor our middle. The rest will unfold in the draft, and we probably end up rolling over some solid $$ into 2023.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maye was my top FA for a while, but his injury and arrest have me wanting Williams pretty badly now. Bates III from Cinci might be a good pick up with his experience with WJIII

Good point re Maye, I had missed that off field incident/news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

 

Same can be said for WR. You have McLaurin and Samuel (theoretically) making the big $$ ... I see a veteran add here making some sense (like Adam Humphries last year). But I could also see us target a WR in the draft to compete with Brown.

 

Agree with everything, but I think a wr needs to be targeted early in the draft.  When Samuels went down (or even worse Terry), our lack of weapons was evident.  I'm hoping a quality wr is there round 2-3.

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

And I am in Marcus Williams !!!

 

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye, S

 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maye was my top FA for a while, but his injury and arrest have me wanting Williams pretty badly now. Bates III from Cinci might be a good pick up with his experience with WJIII

I'd prefer signing McCain at a lower price tag than these other guys, and maybe draft a FS in the mid rounds, but if McCain walks, FS becomes a gaping hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Agree with everything, but I think a wr needs to be targeted early in the draft.  When Samuels went down (or even worse Terry), our lack of weapons was evident.  I'm hoping a quality wr is there round 2-3.

 

 

I'd prefer signing McCain at a lower price tag than these other guys, and maybe draft a FS in the mid rounds, but if McCain walks, FS becomes a gaping hole.

"when Samuels went down"  :ols: I do remember the play that he ran.

 

I think our weapons look a hell of a lot better, when we have a starting QB playing. McKissic and Thomas going down is what hurt and neither are WRs. We invested in Brown last year and it's another deep WR draft.

 

McCain sucks, Collins is not staying I bet and we ran 3 safeties a ton at the end of the year. It's a large hole and reason for us giving up the big plays. Williams is one of the better young FS in the league and a key part of a very good defense.

 

FS and CB are a problem. So is MLB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

DT: If we trade Payne, then we NEED to re-sign Settle

 

 

Why would we want to trade Payne ?

Payne and Allen are like brothers.

Ya'll got brothers don't ya ?

Joking.

I know the real reason people probably want to trade Payne : Combination of Salary Cap and available depth to replace him and that impending contract.

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@KillBill26 when it shakes up he'll probably end up going closer to where he was projected pre-injury than tumbling down the draft board, but if we could get a QB at #11 and come back in Round 2 and draft Jameson Williams, that would be amazing. Even if he doesn't get on the field until late 2022, to pair him with McLaurin for the foreseeable future (being on a rookie deal with McLaurin would be amazing).

 

Building around McLaurin-Williams-Brown would be pretty dynamic and "cheap" (even with McLaurin making WR1 money) ... makes Samuel expendable if he can't get on the field this year.

 

There is a lot of WR talent in this draft though, so someone good will be there in the 2nd if we still have our pick.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...