Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

I would be ALL over Amari Cooper when he becomes available. Was that this regime that tried to bring him in? It was, yes? EDIT: Just to add that he is also one of the best blockers at his position in the league for a team that will want to have both a strong rushing attack and screens. 

You still need a real QB, but wow would that be an impressive offense. You're set elsewhere on O this year (imo) other than QB1 and WR2. Two big upgrades at those spots in Carr and Cooper would be lethal.

There's really not much to do on this team. 

QB1

MLB

Development CB1

WR2

FS1

That's the top 5 for me needs this year. It's just the huge holes at quarterback on O and D that make it seem worse than it is. They actually have a pretty solid roster ready to go for next year. 

Totally good with McCain for a couple years tbh, and there is always Dyami and St. Juste that could fill two of those needs....but they are clearly massive question marks.

Edited by Silvernon

27 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I would be ALL over Amari Cooper when he becomes available. Was that this regime that tried to bring him in? It was, yes? EDIT: Just to add that he is also one of the best blockers at his position in the league for a team that will want to have both a strong rushing attack and screens. 

You still need a real QB, but wow would that be an impressive offense. You're set elsewhere on O this year (imo) other than QB1 and WR2. Two big upgrades at those spots in Carr and Cooper would be lethal.

QB1

MLB

Development CB1

WR2

FS1

That's the top 5 for me needs this year. It's just the huge holes at quarterback on O and D that make it seem worse than it is. They actually have a pretty solid roster ready to go for next year. 

Totally good with McCain for a couple years tbh, and there is always Dyami and St. Juste that could fill two of those needs....but they are clearly massive question marks.

I saw jets may trade for Cooper 2nd round pick.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

"when Samuels went down"  :ols: I do remember the play that he ran.

I think our weapons look a hell of a lot better, when we have a starting QB playing. McKissic and Thomas going down is what hurt and neither are WRs. We invested in Brown last year and it's another deep WR draft.

McCain sucks, Collins is not staying I bet and we ran 3 safeties a ton at the end of the year. It's a large hole and reason for us giving up the big plays. Williams is one of the better young FS in the league and a key part of a very good defense.

FS and CB are a problem. So is MLB. 

Samuel ran a heck of a hitch route that one time!

McCain sucked at first, but got a lot better as the year went on.  I'd rather have him at his price tag, knowing he can be successful here in our system, than Williams, Bates or maye at over twice as much.  But if we go for the bigger splash, I won't hate it, I just disagree with it and would rather invest elsewhere including extensions.

I hope they re sign JD, and with Thomas coming back, that's why I hope we go wr early with RB and TE being in decent shape.  Bates will be better, and I hope we sign Connor/Michel. It's important to improve our weapons across the board so we aren't relying on humphries and Carter as much as we did when the inevitable injury bug hits again. 

Agree about MLB, it's our biggest hole besides QB.  And we definitely need another reliable CB, maybe 2.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Silvernon said:

QB1

MLB

Development CB1

WR2

FS1

I am in agreement with your assessment plus one. Assuming Scherff and Lucas do not return, we have need to think OL

50 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am in agreement with your assessment plus one. Assuming Scherff and Lucas do not return, we have need to think OL

Schweitzer played like a starter, so it's a really good group.

Sure, health will always be an x-factor...but I feel better about all these guys (health wise) compared to Scherff.

Charles is the primary back-up G/T. Ismael was actually decent. You use a day 3 pick for IOL and sign a veteran as a swing tackle. Gives you 9 total. 

• Like 1

Bring back Slye, McKissic, Humphries, Sims, Carter

Sign: Trubisky, MLB, Raheem Mostert, Cedrick Wilson (WR) 

There are some solid, young free agent WR's listed as UFA's right now....

Christian Kirk

Josh Reynolds

James Washington

Cedrick Wilson

Ju-Ju Smith Schuster

Isaiah McKenzie

I like Mostert splitting carries with Gibson as long as he is healthy. I think he'd be a great get. If not, Jeff Wilson from SF is also UFA. Get Gibson a legit back to help him out. Someone who can pass protect and also catch the ball if needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Schweitzer played like a starter, so it's a really good group.

Sure, health will always be an x-factor...but I feel better about all these guys (health wise) compared to Scherff.

Charles is the primary back-up G/T. Ismael was actually decent. You use a day 3 pick for IOL and sign a veteran as a swing tackle. Gives you 9 total. 

I really like Schweitzer.

So far I have not been impressed with Charles (who I had high expectations on) and Ismael.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I really like Schweitzer.

So far I have not been impressed with Charles (who I had high expectations on) and Ismael.

Yeah, for sure. My point being that Schweitzer should be regarded as a starter. An All-Pro is gone, but the replacement is an NFL calibre starter.

The current starting 5 could conceivably be together until 2024. It's not super pressing this season other than due diligence development picks and low-cost vets.

Ismael is clearly a back-up in this league, but Charles looks to have potential to be a starting guard for his second contract. It's been a bit slow, but there were some strong games. 

The OL Seems set to me even without Scherff ... but we do have some depth and long-term needs there, and maybe even some extensions because the future at OG is very ... unknown

LT Leno - just signed a 3 year extension through 2024, so we are "good" there for now

LG Flowers - signed through 2022

OC Roullier - signed through 2024

RG Schweitzer - signed through 2022

RT Cosmi - signed through 2024

Charles, Ismael are your only real depth pieces under contract.

I would extend Flowers, he's been a beast. I would also try to extend Schweitzer. But even with those extensions, the depth at OT and OG is pretty bleak. We could extend Corn Lucas to be our swing Tackle pretty easily, I would think. Maybe the team thinks Charles can push for a swing tackle spot and he's a solid G/T backup right now. Ismael left a lot to be desired even with an okay final game, so he's expendable if you can bring in depth.

I've always advocated for drafting an OL in the first 3-4 rounds every year to ensure you always have depth and long-term upside. This year is no different, but with our draft resources kind of TBD dependent on what we do at QB, I think we need to be pretty aggressive to get in some depth pieces along the OL, and extend our two guards so we can lock the position up long-term. And THEN I would still draft a Guard or Tackle (or both) to really round things out.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I agree that Charles is not impressing.  Probably should be a backup.  They won't let him go and then have to admit the pick was wrong.

Why not?  They got rid of Gandy-Golden quickly.

I do agree that he hasn’t impressed, though he should probably work exclusively at guard.  

I have confidence in Schweitzer starting at RG, but if he’s your starter, the depth gets thin quickly.  

They need to have a swing tackle.  Lucas is an important piece, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a chance to start elsewhere.

Mark Glowinski would be a solid free agent OL pick up.

That said, most of us would agree that Flowers and Schweitzer are a strong guard pairing who we should consider extending both.

We will probably be able to pick up decent OL depth as the offseason progresses and teams cut vets after the draft/through camp. 

Rivera like players on the OL with versatility. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:43 PM, London Kev said:

Good lists, I agree with these except I'd move RSJ to the first list and add Joey Slye.

I can't disagree with RSJ, although it is possible that Reyes keeps progressing and becomes our #3 behind Bates and Thomas.

Even though he didn't catch a pass, the fact that they "protected" him all year and the fact he got as many snaps as he did, both on ST and offense, is encouraging for his very first year playing the sport, as well as starting out at the highest level.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Spotrac Free Agent tracker has some market values up for the top-tier RB free agents ...

James Conner - $6m per

Leonard Fournette - $6m per

Melvin Gordon - $5m per

Chase Edmonds - $5m per

Ronald Jones - $3m per

JD McKissic - $4m per

Darrel Williams - $2m per

Think McKissic makes sense, and there's some solid options that don't have contract values that I think most here would welcome in ... Sony Michel, Rashaad Penny ... it's a pretty loaded RB free agent class. I wouldn't expect both Edmonds and Conner to hit the market, nor would i see TB letting Fournette walk. But the rest of these guys could be solid backfield additions on the cheap.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

When he's healthy,  he is a major playmaker for us.   I'd say that's worth 4m per year easily. 

It's an interesting situation, honestly. Guys like McKissic being projected for 2 year, $7.5m contracts while Leonard Fournette is projected for 2 years and $12m. Not that big of a diff. from a financial standpoint. Of course, we know what we have here in McKissic, and I doubt we'd ever pry a guy like Fournette away to play second fiddle or 1b to Gibson. But just interesting how the RB market shapes up. The one outlier is Patterson, who they have projected as a 2/18 contract, but of course he's a bit of a unicorn. I think Patterson would be a much higher paid guy if he wasn't 30 years old.

Anyway, RB isn't a priority by any means. If you bring McKissic back, maybe you draft a guy in the later rounds to compete with Patterson. BUT, I think if you want to establish a run-based team you might get a real good ROI by grabbing a top tier FA RB for cheap. Having a James Conner-Antonio Gibson-JD McKissic backfield gives you insurance and depth, and keeps guys fresh for the entire game. And if you want to lean into the run and establish an offensive identity, adding a FA RB to the mix along with some depth at Guard could really go a long way, especially if you're going to be leaning on a Mariota+Rookie combo at QB.

"How do you establish an offensive identity" 101 ...

Sign James Conner for 2 years, $10m

Sign JD McKissic to 2 years, $6m

Sign Mariota/Trubisky to a 1 year $5m deal

Draft a QB at #11

Draft a Guard at #42

Draft a TE in the 3rd

Probably not the sexiest of drafts, but it would really lean into the run game being established.

Guard at #42 comes in to compete with Schweizer, and in best-case scenario beats him out relegating Schweizer to a high level backup.

Tight End in the 3rd is a luxury, but if you can get a really quality player there (for beyond 2022 since they take time to develop) you're sitting real pretty at TE likely 3-4 deep with Thomas-Bates-Rookie-Reyes.

Run to set up the pass. Don't expose the rookie/Mariota to having to win the game with their arm.

You take a solid foundation on offense and you triple down on it. You spend maybe $12-14m in free agent capital in 2022 to do so, and invest your 3 first picks. Nothing drastic, nothing splashy (other than QB at #11), but really smart team-building around a rookie QB and an offense with weapons, bones for a running game, and a defense that, with the right tweaks in free agency, could be Top 10.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Our line were maulers in the run game, adding a stud RB in the draft could really go a long way. 

Good time to mention I coveted Rhamondre Stevenson last year. I thought he would be a great pairing with Gibson. You can always find value there in the 3rd or 4th round. BUT, with this being a flooded free agent market at RB, I think you could get a better value there since you already have your RB1 in Gibson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Would love JD back but I’m not convinced he’s worth 4m per year. 

This 4th grade Eagles fan thinks so.

Along with Trevon Diggs, who gets easily stepped on by McKissic in this shot.

I wonder if McKissic print this and brings it into his negotiations with his agent.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This 4th grade Eagles fan thinks so.

Along with Trevon Diggs, who gets easily stepped on by McKissic in this shot.

I wonder if McKissic print this and brings it into his negotiations with his agent.

9C51AA6C-2DDF-4FDF-B0D2-E62878091D9A.jpeg

• Confused 1

Boring hour at work so looked at free agents. Just those that currently look to be available. No QB talk, plenty of that going on elsewhere. Plus I will add my 2 favourite targets if I had free pick would be Davante Adams and Orlando Brown. I know they aren’t happening before anyone piles in :rofl89:

In addition, Laken Tomlinson would also be an excellent pick but too pricey at IOL.

So onto more realistic targets. Mine are :

Jermaine Carter MLB 

Marcus Williams FS

David Njoku TE ( I think we overrate out TE group )

Mark Glowinski OG 

Marquez Valdes Scantling WR

Zay Jones WR

I could also see us going after Leighton Vander Esch....:bye:

• Haha 1