Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Isn't Mark Ingram older than game of football itself? Surely, there's got to be options with more in the tank. Heck, we used to sign guys off the street who were effective. Say no to brand name running backs.

I think the real question here is do you get more bang out of keeping Ionadis or signing Payne to a long term deal. Seems Payne regressed last year. Of course, everyone else on D did too.

Either keep settles and Matt I or keep Payne. One or the other. Ingram will be cheap

19 hours ago, Burgold said:

Isn't Mark Ingram older than game of football itself? Surely, there's got to be options with more in the tank. Heck, we used to sign guys off the street who were effective. Say no to brand name running backs.

I think the real question here is do you get more bang out of keeping Ionadis or signing Payne to a long term deal. Seems Payne regressed last year. Of course, everyone else on D did too.

In what world did Payne regress last year? He's the 16th ranked pass rusher and a monster against the run, while playing 90% of the snaps, which is insane for a DT.

19 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Either keep settles and Matt I or keep Payne. One or the other. Ingram will be cheap

Iaonnidias is a great back up for Allen and the DEs. Settle will go be a starter somewhere.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Redskins 2021 said:

I wouldn't deal Ionaiddis....he has a great motor and is one of those dirty work kind of players that teams need. Ion balls out and I hope he's here when we start making real noise. 

• Like 2

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-preview-player-targets-potential-cuts-all-32-nfl-teams#WFT

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Projected Cap Space: $31.9M (9th)

Notable Free Agents: G Brandon Scherff, DI Tim Settle, T Cornelius Lucas, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, S Bobby McCain

Potential Cuts: DI Matt Ioannidis (saves $6.9 million), S Landon Collins (saves $6.4 million)

Team Needs: QB, LB, S

Washington is presumably going to pick up a new starting quarterback this offseason, whether it be Jimmy Garoppolo via trade or a rookie at No. 11 overall. In free agency, the Commanders are top-10 in projected cap space, and they should use at least a little bit of that cash at off-ball linebacker. One player to target is De’Vondre Campbell, who is fresh off a breakout with the Packers. Campbell was the second-highest graded player at the position in 2021 and won’t break the bank for Washington if they want him.

Star guard Brandon Scherff is looking for a long-term deal from the team after playing on multiple franchise tags. He’s projected to fetch a three-year, $50 million deal with $30 million guaranteed. Scherff has never produced a sub-70.0 PFF grade in his eight-year NFL career. I wouldn’t put it past the Commanders to shy away from bringing back Scherff considering the injuries as of late and the high price tag, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world to pay the price. He is one of the best guards in the game when healthy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

If we designate Collins as a Post 1 June release it would create 12mil in 2022 cap space. Or do we just convert some salary to bonus to instead, main question being do we think he’s worth the money? Due the best end of 12mil in cash this year? 

Hes not worth that much, but oh well. It's what he costs and the defense was banging when we settled into it with him. Its a lost cost, but I think we need to pay it. Same with Scherff. Its a lot, but thats where we're at. We've got the money and this isn't the time to be cheap. 

Collins is showing up at all the Commanders functions. I doubt he's leaving. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hes not worth that much, but oh well. It's what he costs and the defense was banging when we settled into it with him. Its a lost cost, but I think we need to pay it. Same with Scherff. Its a lot, but thats where we're at. We've got the money and this isn't the time to be cheap. 

Collins is showing up at all the Commanders functions. I doubt he's leaving. 

Yeah he’s made all the right noises recently about his new hybrid role. Also about loving being here. I think he stays but we convert some of his salary to bonus money to lower the 2022 cap hit and create in year space....if needed to accommodate a vet QB contract.....

• Like 1

I could well be wrong, but it seems to be we can’t really afford to bring Scherff back unless we cut Collins (unless we backload his deal in a major way) or trade Payne.  We’ve got around 30mil in cap space as far as I can tell and Scherff, rookie deals, and in-season money basically wipe that out I believe.

We should get a comp pick from letting him walk though (most of the vet qbs we’re talking are either fairly cheap - Trubisky/Mariota - or we’d trade for one, so they wouldn’t count against a comp pick).  Not sure I see us bringing in a high priced FA at another position, though it’s possible of course.

I’d keep Collins one more year.  We found a position for him, it buys us time to find a replacement, and we’ll get a good chunk of space back cutting him next year.

There’s a part of me that wonders if can trade Io and Payne for 2023 picks while re-signing Settle.  I know, it sounds crazy and would be a big blow to the dline, but going into 2023 with additional picks helps our chances at trading (either up in the draft or for a vet) for a qb.  Not really worth thinking about I guess since it ain’t happening.  Would be nice to move toward getting compensation for our guys that leave though (we missed out with Kirk, Preston Smith, Trent we traded cheaply, etc).  I look into extending Payne at the same time though - probably the better option if we can get a fair deal.

Extending Terry is a must of course.  I’d look at extending Fuller a couple years as well.

Re-sign McKissick, McCain (not sold on him, but he’s decent enough) and Lucas, maybe Seals-Jones.  Look for moderately priced corners and guards for depth, maybe a back.  I do wonder if Lucas gets a low end starting tackle offer elsewhere though.

If we trade for a qb though, seems like that would just about wipe out our cap space in all likelihood.

Edit:  @SkinsinparadiseMan, Curl and Mathieu would be a nice pairing on the back end…

Edited by skinny21

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

If we trade for a qb though, seems like that would just about wipe out our cap space in all likelihood.

Dak got that 4/160mil deal, but they added a fifth voidable year to spread the cap hit from his signing bonus, and his 2021 cap hit was ‘only’ 17mil. 

So that major contract in year one isn’t as restrictive as you think, but as noted we would probably have to look at other contracts like extending Flowers, converting money in the Collins, Fuller deals etc. 

My wish list

8. S MARCUS WILLIAMS, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Williams has been the one continuous thread in a secondary that has experienced some changes over the years, and perhaps we’re now at the point where we need to give him more credit for keeping everything in front of him on the backend.

The Saints have prioritized free-agent spending and drafting in the secondary, so we’re not suggesting Williams is playing in a weak group, but he has graded above 70.0 for five years in a row now as the free safety manning the deep third of the field. He’ll still be just 26 years old in Week 1 of 2022 after playing on the franchise tag and should have offers to become one of the highest-paid safeties in the NFL.

Strengths:
– Consistency
– Performs well in all facets

Weaknesses:
– Can struggle for physicality
– Inconsistent matched up in man coverage

Scheme Fit/Role:
VERSATILE FS: Marcus Williams has been a consistently impressive player for the Saints in his NFL career. He has been the team's free safety and is excellent in zones at all levels of the coverage. He would be a good starting safety in any scheme but fits best in a defense that plays with two high safeties, such as Atlanta's or Houston's.

Recent Injury History:
Williams has been remarkably injury-free in his NFL career and has little concern in that area.

Contract Projection: Four years, $64.5 million ($16.125M per year, $35 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Williams was excellent as a rookie before being the player embarrassed on the “Minneapolis Miracle” play by the Vikings. Since then, he has continued to excel and would be a good starting free safety for much of the NFL.

11. S JESSIE BATES III, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bates was looking for an extension this past offseason, but the Bengals instead chose to prioritize the player they drafted one round after Bates in 2018 — edge defender Sam Hubbard. The Cincinnati defense took a major step forward in 2021, with free-agent additions Trey Hendrickson and D.J. Reader wreaking havoc on opposing quarterbacks and cornerback addition Chidobe Awuzie outperforming the man he replaced in Washington Commanders cornerback William Jackson III. Will Bates get his due from the Bengals, or will he be the latest homegrown player to depart?

Strengths:
– Range in coverage
– Ball skills
– Plays on the ball

Weaknesses:
– Inconsistency
– Tackling

Scheme Fit/Role:
SINGLE-HIGH FS/SPLIT SAFETY: Bates showed in 2020 that he can be an elite center field safety with the range to get to the sideline and make plays on the football. He is an ideal player for the Seattle Cover 1/Cover 3 style of defense, which is becoming increasingly less prevalent. He would also thrive in any system that runs with split safety shells, which makes him an ideal fit for most of the league in some shape or form.

Recent Injury History:
Bates has barely missed a snap in his NFL career and has little to no real injury concerns.

Contract Projection: Franchise tag (1-year, $12,911,000)

Bottom Line:
A year ago, Bates was coming off a career year and looked like the best safety in the game, but it represented a major outlier from the rest of his career and regression hit this season. He is still an impact coverage player at the position who fits in some way in pretty much every scheme in the league.

27. LB DE'VONDRE CAMPBELL, GREEN BAY PACKERS

The Packers — long searching for a reliable off-ball linebacker — brought Campbell aboard on a one-year, $2 million contract, and his 86.7 overall grade was second among linebackers through Week 8 while his 90.7 run-defense grade ranked first, leading to a Pro Bowl nod. Campbell’s 90.4 tackling grade is his fifth straight such mark above 75.0, and that sure tackling goes a long way in Green Bay. He’s earned himself a nice raise. Now it’s just a matter of how nice it’ll be. 

Strengths:
– Durability
– Tackling
– Downhill play vs. run

Weaknesses:
– One-year wonder
– Can get caught out of position in coverage

Scheme Fit/Role:
THREE-DOWN LINEBACKER: Campbell has played at least 850 regular season defensive snaps in every season since his rookie year in 2016. He rarely comes off the field, and there's been no reason for Green Bay to take him off the field given his play in all phases during his first year with the Packers.

Recent Injury History:
Campbell ranks among the top-10 off-ball linebackers in the league in defensive snaps played since he was drafted in 2016. He hasn't missed significant action in his six-year career.

Contract Projection: Two years, $18 million ($9M per year, $11.5 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
The hope for whatever teams sign Campbell is that he follows the Demario Davis career arc with his best football yet to come as he pushes towards 30 years old. He's a difficult evaluation with All-Pro-caliber play in 2021 following five seasons with a PFF grade below 70.0 to start his career.

56. G ANDREW NORWELL, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Norwell had two years and $25 million remaining on his five-year extension signed in 2018 heading into the 2021 season, but the Jacksonville Jaguars negotiated a pay cut and contract reduction, making him a free agent after the season. Norwell responded with his eighth-straight season grading out above 65.0 overall and above 70.0 as a pass blocker, and there will almost certainly be a handful of teams looking for a veteran guard with his extremely high floor. 

Strengths:
– Pass blocking
– Never had a bad season
– Just 30 years old.

Weaknesses:
– Run blocking
– Finished badly in back-to-back years

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING LG: Norwell is still a solid option as a starting guard in today's NFL. He is a better pass-blocker than run-blocker and would upgrade several offensive lines in the league. His play hasn't been trending in the right direction, but he has still never had a poor season overall.

Recent Injury History:
Norwell dealt with an ankle injury early in the season but barely missed any time. He played over 1,000 snaps in 2021.

Contract Projection: Three years, $21.75 million ($7.25M per year), $15 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Norwell was once the prize of free agency on the offensive line and seen as one of the best guards in the game. He's not at that level right now, but he is still a capable starter who would be an upgrade for several teams.

60. QB MARCUS MARIOTA, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS

For years, the primary goal of quarterbacks in Mariota’s position was to find a team desperate enough for a starter to sign them to an inflated deal in free agency that they’d inevitably regret a year later. While that’s still a goal, there are more potential avenues for players with Mariota’s skill set. With two-quarterback systems cropping up around the NFL, Mariota could attempt to leverage New Orleans Saints weapon Taysom Hill’s recent four-year, $40 million extension with massive upside. Mariota is an infinitely superior passer of the football, and while he’s had a handful of injuries the past few years, he’s still just 28 years old. 

Strengths:
– Athleticism and running in space
– Play-action passing

Weaknesses:
– Mistakes
– Consistent accuracy
– Durability

Scheme Fit/Role:
HIGH-END BACKUP/LAST-CHANCE STARTER: Mariota never really got going in Tennessee, devolving rather than evolving as a starter before being replaced by Ryan Tannehill. As a backup with the Raiders, he has flashed the potential to be a starter again after time on the bench. But in a league with plenty of options, there won't be many chances for him to start again. His best role may be that of a high-end backup who can offer a change-of-pace package of rushing plays in certain situations from the bench.

Recent Injury History:
Mariota suffered a quad injury on a 31-yard run off the bench for the Raiders this season. He carries an extensive injury history, which is its own issue, independent of any concerns over his play.

Contract Projection: One year, $8 million fully guaranteed

103. WR CEDRICK WILSON, DALLAS COWBOYS

Cedrick Wilson took on an increased role with Michael Gallup and Amari Cooper missing time during the 2021 season, and his 73.0 receiving grade, 602 receiving yards, and 1.74 yards per route run dwarfed his previous career bests. Dallas may have too many marquee free agents to keep Wilson around, so any team looking for a very solid slot receiver should be in the market. Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott clearly showed he trusted Wilson with 10 targets in their playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

Strengths:
– Shifty before and after the catch
– Slot production
– Hands

Weaknesses:
– A lot of projection involved
– One year of moderate production
– Durability concerns

Scheme Fit/Role:
SLOT/No. 2 OPTION: Wilson stepped up in 2021 with some injuries to the Dallas receiving corps and was productive from the slot. He has unusual size for an inside receiver and the shiftiness to gain yards after the catch as well as win on manufactured screen plays. He could potentially step up to a No. 2 role in a less stacked receiver room.

Recent Injury History:
Wilson dealt with minor ankle and shoulder injuries early in the year, but his biggest injury questions came in previous seasons where missed time with major knee and shoulder problems.

Contract Projection: Two years, $11 million ($5.5M per year), $7 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Wilson has the talent to be a No. 2 receiver or at worst a productive slot weapon, but he has dealt with some major injuries so far in the NFL and has few opportunities to show it. He might be a low-cost gamble with big upside.

134. S JABRILL PEPPERS, NEW YORK GIANTS

Peppers was on his way to finishing the season with double-digit quarterback pressures for the fourth year in a row while playing on a crowded Giants safety unit. The former first-round pick suffered an unfortunate ACL injury in Week 7 of his fifth-year option season but has shown the ability to be disruptive down in the box and solid in the slot as a nickel back. Multi-year deals may not await him this offseason, but a solid one-year flier could help set him up for next offseason. 

Strengths:
– High motor player
– Willing contributor as a run defender

Weaknesses:
– Coverage ability
– Tracking the ball carrier & finishing with tackles

Scheme Fit/Role:
ROTATIONAL SAFETY: At this stage of his career, it's unfair to hold the expectation from Michigan against Peppers, but it's hard not to think about. Peppers' skill set fits best near the line of scrimmage in a Jamal Adams kind of role, but his movement skills don't do enough to make up for size disadvantages, and he's a liability in man coverage.

Recent Injury History:
Peppers was placed on injured reserve in October following a torn ACL. There's been no major developments/setbacks in recovery since surgery.

Contract Projection: One year, $5.5 million, $4 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
Peppers is young, skilled and intriguing. What's more, he seems to be a hard worker and has embraced changing roles at every turn, so I believe him to be a great locker room fit. I'm just unsure of value given his position.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

18 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Edit:  @SkinsinparadiseMan, Curl and Mathieu would be a nice pairing on the back end…

Mathieu is a great player.  My only hesitation is age-injury histroy.

17. S TYRANN MATHIEU, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

When Minnesota Vikings safety Harrison Smith signed a four-year, $64 million extension shortly before the 2021 season, it had to have gotten the attention of veteran safeties league-wide. The Smith deal is one of the strongest contracts for a player in recent memory, with the signing keeping him under contract through his age-36 season. Mathieu is several years younger than Smith, and he helped lead the Kansas City Chiefs’ defense to a much stronger second half of the season than the first, so the versatile defensive back may be able to cash in once more.

Strengths:
– Instincts in coverage
– Versatility

Weaknesses:
– Size
– Can get caught out of position looking to make a play

Scheme Fit/Role:
DO-IT-ALL SAFETY: Mathieu frequently finds himself on “most versatile” lists, and his snap distribution backs those claims up. Since joining Kansas City in 2019, Mathieu has played over 600 snaps in deep, box and slot alignments. The Ravens reportedly had interest in Mathieu back in 2019 and could use his playmaking ability at safety.

Recent Injury History:
Mathieu had two ACL tears and a shoulder injury that led to missed time early in his career, but he has rarely left the field in recent years. He has averaged over 1,000 defensive snaps per year over last five years.

Contract Projection: Three years, $48.75 million ($16.25M per year, $30.75 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Mathieu brings leadership, energy and the ability to make plays from multiple positions to any defense he's on.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Mathieu is a great player.  My only hesitation is age-injury histroy.

17. S TYRANN MATHIEU, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

When Minnesota Vikings safety Harrison Smith signed a four-year, $64 million extension shortly before the 2021 season, it had to have gotten the attention of veteran safeties league-wide. The Smith deal is one of the strongest contracts for a player in recent memory, with the signing keeping him under contract through his age-36 season. Mathieu is several years younger than Smith, and he helped lead the Kansas City Chiefs’ defense to a much stronger second half of the season than the first, so the versatile defensive back may be able to cash in once more.

Strengths:
– Instincts in coverage
– Versatility

Weaknesses:
– Size
– Can get caught out of position looking to make a play

Scheme Fit/Role:
DO-IT-ALL SAFETY: Mathieu frequently finds himself on “most versatile” lists, and his snap distribution backs those claims up. Since joining Kansas City in 2019, Mathieu has played over 600 snaps in deep, box and slot alignments. The Ravens reportedly had interest in Mathieu back in 2019 and could use his playmaking ability at safety.

Recent Injury History:
Mathieu had two ACL tears and a shoulder injury that led to missed time early in his career, but he has rarely left the field in recent years. He has averaged over 1,000 defensive snaps per year over last five years.

Contract Projection: Three years, $48.75 million ($16.25M per year, $30.75 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Mathieu brings leadership, energy and the ability to make plays from multiple positions to any defense he's on.

Love the guy and wanted him here when he hit FA from the Cards.  Yes, he'll be 30 and he had a concussion and might have had more.  I'd pass because of the concussion(s) and age.  Plus, he'd want big money.  There are other FA FS we can look at.  

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love the guy and wanted him here when he hit FA from the Cards.  Yes, he'll be 30 and he had a concussion and might have had more.  I'd pass because of the concussion(s) and age.  Plus, he'd want big money.  There are other FA FS we can look at.  

Mathieu would be a good pick up.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Dak got that 4/160mil deal, but they added a fifth voidable year to spread the cap hit from his signing bonus, and his 2021 cap hit was ‘only’ 17mil. 

So that major contract in year one isn’t as restrictive as you think, but as noted we would probably have to look at other contracts like extending Flowers, converting money in the Collins, Fuller deals etc. 

Yeah, there’s definitely some cap/contract ‘massaging’ that could help.  I guess I just look at that 30mil remaining, take off 10-15 for rookies and in-season expenditures, and wonder how realistic it is to fit a veteran qb (a relatively expensive one anyway), let alone try to also re-sign a few guys or add FAs.  I think you’re right that we can find a way to pull off a hefty qb salary though, one way or another.

And good call on extending Flowers, I should have thought of that one seeing as how I’ve been expressing my concern with our oline after this year… (though that’s been alleviated a bit with Leno extending)

• Like 1

Since Rivera became the Washington HC, have we asked a player to rework there contract to a lower cap figure, and have we reworked a players contract so he receives a higher signing bonus which would make room to give us more cap space. I can't think of it happening under Rivera, we seem to either let players get to the end of there contract or outright release them. Am I right or wrong?. 

42 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Since Rivera became the Washington HC, have we asked a player to rework there contract to a lower cap figure, and have we reworked a players contract so he receives a higher signing bonus which would make room to give us more cap space. I can't think of it happening under Rivera, we seem to either let players get to the end of there contract or outright release them. Am I right or wrong?. 

Realistically in the 2 seasons he’s been here we haven’t needed to manipulate our salary cap position. The same applies this season in that we don’t need to, unless we take on a significant QB contract. Then we would be looking at reworking contracts.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, HigSkin said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-preview-player-targets-potential-cuts-all-32-nfl-teams#WFT

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Projected Cap Space: $31.9M (9th)

Notable Free Agents: G Brandon Scherff, DI Tim Settle, T Cornelius Lucas, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, S Bobby McCain

Potential Cuts: DI Matt Ioannidis (saves $6.9 million), S Landon Collins (saves $6.4 million)

Team Needs: QB, LB, S

Washington is presumably going to pick up a new starting quarterback this offseason, whether it be Jimmy Garoppolo via trade or a rookie at No. 11 overall. In free agency, the Commanders are top-10 in projected cap space, and they should use at least a little bit of that cash at off-ball linebacker. One player to target is De’Vondre Campbell, who is fresh off a breakout with the Packers. Campbell was the second-highest graded player at the position in 2021 and won’t break the bank for Washington if they want him.

Star guard Brandon Scherff is looking for a long-term deal from the team after playing on multiple franchise tags. He’s projected to fetch a three-year, $50 million deal with $30 million guaranteed. Scherff has never produced a sub-70.0 PFF grade in his eight-year NFL career. I wouldn’t put it past the Commanders to shy away from bringing back Scherff considering the injuries as of late and the high price tag, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world to pay the price. He is one of the best guards in the game when healthy.

Think Scherff is a good player but not great esp with the injuries. Lost a lot when trying to block Parsins on a few plays I noticed. Not worth the money he wants. Cut him loose and pick a guard with the 2nd pick.

• Like 1