Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

12 days until we can start to talk to the agents of players who are free agents, do we need to sign McClaurin, Mckissick etc to new deals before then, then at least we know who to go after in free agency? 

Sure seems like it would be in our best interest along with maybe extending Payne. 

• Like 2

I sure miss Eric Schaffer, our former cap guru guy.  Leno is the only player we have extended.  I would have thought we would/could have worked out extensions with more players by now, especially Terry McLaurin.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I sure miss Eric Schaffer, our former cap guru guy.  Leno is the only player we have extended.  I would have thought we would/could have worked out extensions with more players by now, especially Terry McLaurin.  

I liked him here too, however I don’t think we’ve missed him at all. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markmills67 said:

12 days until we can start to talk to the agents of players who are free agents, do we need to sign McClaurin, Mckissick etc to new deals before then, then at least we know who to go after in free agency? 

I think that’s the smart move, yet until we know if we might land a pricey vet (or, heaven forbid, include Terry in a trade package) I wonder if these moves are in limbo?

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Sure seems like it would be in our best interest along with maybe extending Payne. 

It would be nice to have our dline together for the next 2+ years, but…. See below.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Nice.

41 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The fifth year option pick up is a part of the offseason I really enjoy.  Other teams have tough decisions to make.  Montez was a no brainer, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved.

NYG have to decide on Jones.

Agree that Sweat was a no brainer, not least because now that he’s signed for 2 years he’s that much more attractive as trade bait (not that I think we end up trading him).

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like that we picked that up. I really hope we keep those 4 together for a while.

Payne is going to be an interesting one.  If he’s potentially a part of a trade package (even though it’s very doubtful that we manage a big trade for a qb), then the new team probably prefers their own extension.  I’d guess we get shot down on the big name vet qbs though following the combine and then try to extend him in what’s left of the window before FA.  I am curious what 2023 pick(s) we could get for him straight up… not that I want to move him, but 1) he may not be too keen to stay, 2) he might ask for a lot, and 3) it sure would be nice to have more ammo next year (in terms of chasing a qb).  Not sure how highly regarded he is around the league (don’t mean this as a negative necessarily, I honestly just have no idea) and he’s got an 8mil 1 year deal going right now… might not be attractive enough for serious offers.

We’re in an interesting situation with Payne and Io on the last year of their deals and Settle a FA.  Don’t think Settle was seeing much time late last year, so I kind of doubt he’s in their plans, unless maybe it’s for a fairly cheap 1 year deal?  Wonder if we see what the draft brings, and whether Payne gets dealt, (which I doubt) before trying to extend him.

A little convoluted here, but from the context of wanting to trade for (or up for) a qb in 2023…

Scherff should net us a 2023 3rd round comp pick if we don’t sign an expensive vet.

I’d look to add to the back 7 to maximize the dline, which hopefully allows them to shine and potentially garner a high pick if we trade one of them, or a high comp pick if Payne/Io walk.  Perhaps we can then trade sweat for a late 1st?  Maybe sign Vander Esch and draft a mlb?  Sign a decent safety (or re-sign McCain) and find a corner to add to the group.

Try to trade down this year for a 2023 1st or 2nd.

Basically try to accrue more picks to 1) be better able to trade for (or up for) a qb, and 2) to somewhat offset the loss of draft capital (ie we trade away our 2024 1st, but have an extra 3rd rounder via a comp pick and/or an extra 2nd via player trade).  Just spitballing here of course.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The fifth year option pick up is a part of the offseason I really enjoy.  Other teams have tough decisions to make.  Montez was a no brainer, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets moved.

It was kind of a no brainer since he's only a $3.7 mil cap hit. That's a steal for his talent.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

McCain coming back would be disappointing, but our defense was great at the end of the year.

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I feel the same way. Seems like he could easily be upgraded through FA

Me too.  Given how last year went early on, I am probably a bit irrationally worried about starting over in terms of cohesion and communication, making me think I’d be good returning him if the deal is decent.  Yet it does seem like there will be a good group of more talented guys out there in FA.  If a bunch of these guys re-sign with their teams though….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Rivera true to form when saying we need a veteran at QB.

I would think he will have the same view at MLB, irrespective of what the plan is in the draft. Packers haven’t got Campbell signed up yet......

They will. Packers are gonna make one last dieing run this year I think.

I want McCain back for depth. Hope he's not a starter.  But he played better towards the end of the season as did William Jackson.  Ron said and has some other coaches that chemistry takes time to build and its especially important with the secondary so it sounds like they found a rythmn working together as the season progressed.

In a podcast I listented to the talk was DeAndre Carter's agent is asking for some suprisingly big money (if I recall that was in a Kiem podcast talking to a WR reporter) and the team and him are far apart.

I also saw that the team actually will let McKissic, McCain, etc talk to other teams in the window where you alllowed to talk right before FA begins even though they want them back -- that makes me think they are also asking for bigger money than our FO think they deserve so I gather that's them saying go see what other teams offer you and you'll see our contract offers are more than reasonable.

I also get the impression good shot Collins gets released unless they can rework that contract. 

Keim also said (usually his observations are from sources) William Jackson ironically struggled playing man earlier in the season.  They played plenty of man earlier in the season.  I pulled the numbers at the time, we were in the upper half in the league as for playing man in the first 1/3 of the games of the season after being close to dead last the season before.  And they switched back to a heavier zone scheme ala the season before and that helped fuel the secondary's emergence.

Also the 4 man rush with Sweat and Chase and Payne and Allen weren't really winning as much as they expected.  So when they lost Chase and Sweat the pass rush improved in part because of heavier exotic blitzing to make up for the lost of Sweat and Chase. So they think the pass rush will be better this year because they realize these guys aren't winning primarily with a 4 man rush as they expected. 

Holcomb wants to play middle-mike.  But they don't think that's his gig.  He hesitates too much, as does Jamin Davis.  Mayo isn't a hot player but he showed when he played to be their best read and react player and directed Holcomb and that looked much better than other LB permutations.  It's part of the reason why they are focused on getting a middle LB.  It isn't just because of that one player its because that player they believe will also make the other LBs better especially Holcomb. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, the FA stuff explained better here from standig

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.26.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.26.54 AM.png

Just a quick question buddy, but do the agent's always tell the truth about the offer from other teams, or can they tell Washington a figure not really put on the table by an other team. 

I find that line a bit odd..”we aren’t ready to make an offer right now but we do want them back”.

Offer them what you would like to pay them. What you think they are worth. They either sign or they choose to look elsewhere first. 

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Just a quick question buddy, but do the agent's always tell the truth about the offer from other teams, or can they tell Washington a figure not really put on the table by an other team. 

Don't know.  But I'd presume they'd tell the truth, the agents are dealing with the team typically with multiple players so it behooves them to build trust.  For example Deandre Carter's agent also happens to be Terry's agent

• Like 1

I'm fine with every one of those players walking. I think Gibson would be explosive in the McKissic role and they've talked about making RB a priority. If they draft a legit one cut between the tackles RB to be the chain mover and keep Gibby at 15 touches a game, that's great. Im fine moving on from Patterson too. Our Oline is too good for the backs we have.

Carter would be nice to have back, but not at a big contract.

The "we're not making an offer yet" says to me "we are holding massive cap space until we know our QB situation" which keeps the Wilson/Carr hope alive.

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I find that line a bit odd..”we aren’t ready to make an offer right now but we do want them back”.

Offer them what you would like to pay them. What you think they are worth. They either sign or they choose to look elsewhere first. 

• Like 1