Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If true, would they be looking to move Sweat or do they think they can lock up all four DLs?

Could be but maybe having Payne already on a known extended contract is more attractive in a trade?  Who knows....LOL

Edited by HigSkin

Joel Curry on Keim's podcast said Terry Mclaurin should be looking at $18+ mil a year contract

Scherff will be looking for nothing less than $16.5 mil per year but likely going to be highest paid guard but all Oline contract values are going up every year

Reiterated a lot of stuff gets discussed at combine with agents even though it's considered tampering

Keim said they want Landon Collins back with a pay cut and the combine can also serve as a measure for market value thru discussions with other teams.  Joel thinks his value is half of what he'll be making this year ($12 mil)

Reference Payne - $15m or more but really need to consider how much to put on that Dline considering Chase will be coming due

Lastly, doesn't think JD McKissick would get the highest paid 3rd down money of $6 mil but something below that 

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Joel Curry on Keim's podcast said Terry Mclaurin should be looking at $18+ mil a year contract

Scherff will be looking for nothing less than $16.5 mil per year but likely going to be highest paid guard but all Oline contract values are going up every year

Reiterated a lot of stuff gets discussed at combine with agents even though it's considered tampering

Keim said they want Landon Collins back with a pay cut and the combine can also serve as a measure for market value thru discussions with other teams.  Joel thinks his value is half of what he'll be making this year ($12 mil)

Reference Payne - $15m or more but really need to consider how much to put on that Dline considering Chase will be coming due

Lastly, doesn't think JD McKissick would get the highest paid 3rd down money of $6 mil but something below that 

The McLaurin extension is going to be something to watch.  In my opinion, you have to be aggressive early.  I saw that Adams is looking for 30M/yr.  He may end up completely resetting the WR market.  I’d try to get him done before Adams, Robinson, Brown, and Metcalf get their deals done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I disagree. I like Payne but feel like you can resign Settle and Ionnaidis and not have huge drop off for probably half the price of what it would cost to Payne.

Ionn is still under contract. Some think he should take a pay cut for this season. Maybe a modest extension to spread the cap hit. 

12 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Looks like Adams may walk from Green bay.

They have just restructured Kenny Clark saving 11mil in cap space. A deal for Campbell may be coming.

I think Adams stays if Rodgers does. If not, they both exit GB.

Edited by Est.1974

Just now, Est.1974 said:

They have just restructured Kenny Clark saving 11mil in cap space. A deal for Campl

I did see that the Gm had a press conference said he did not want to franchise tag him wanted a long term deal. I can't see how they could match the other offers he will get with out franchise tag.

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I disagree. I like Payne but feel like you can resign Settle and Ionnaidis and not have huge drop off for probably half the price of what it would cost to Payne.

Iaon is Allen's back up, not Paynes. If settle could do Paynes job, Payne wouldn't get 90% of the snaps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I did see that the Gm had a press conference said he did not want to franchise tag him wanted a long term deal. I can't see how they could match the other offers he will get with out franchise tag.

With a long term deal, they can push the majority of the cap hit out 3-4 years.

It's what they did with Rodgers.  They gave him an $80+ million dollar signing bonus, which they spread over 5 or 6 years, somewhat evenly, ~18M/year.  Rodger's base salary was 1.1M/Year, so for the first 4 years of the deal, Rodger's cap hit was a very reasonable ~$20m.  

However, this year, his base salary balloons to $28M, and add to that the pro-rated signing bonus, now you're looking at a cap hit of $40M.  

The reason the player does this is because Rodgers got the full signing bonus, and now the team has to either extend him, trade him, eat a $40m cap hit, or release him. (Which they would never do.)  So he gets another bite of the apple, essentially.  

The reason the team does this is they push the big hit out several years.

You can keep doing this to an extent.  But eventually you're going to have to pay the piper.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Signing Wentz and Williams and drafting Lloyd would totally transform our team.

As long as the 2nd pick is Ridder or Strong because I would vomit to think our future hinges one Wentz. That would give Strong or Ridder a year to sit behind Wentz and TH if need be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Cutting Landon and signing Marcus instantly changes the defense. 

Ah yes cutting the guy that was directly responsible for 6 turnovers, 3 sacks, 5 TFL in 8 games as a hybrid and the #1 rated run defender in the league in that time span instantly makes the defense better. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Ah yes cutting the guy that was directly responsible for 6 turnovers, 3 sacks, 5 TFL in 8 games as a hybrid and the #1 rated run defender in the league in that time span instantly makes the defense better. 

He is so protected in coverage and cant play in any passing downs. For 16 mil hes one of the worst contracts in the league.

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

He is so protected in coverage and cant play in any passing downs. For 16 mil hes one of the worst contracts in the league.

I didn’t say he didn’t have a bad contract but you save 6 million by cutting him. So yes while it’s a bad contract you also aren’t going to put up the production he was putting up after the switch with 6 million. we need to try to restructure for sure but cutting that type of production isn’t worth 6 mil. And cutting him doesn’t transform the defense. I posted this in the qb thread from gb to first Dallas game before his injury with Landon in a hybrid role the team was giving up 18.9 pts per game and 292 yards per game both of those numbers would’ve out the team at 2nd in the league on the year. And that’s without your top two des for large stretches and facing Rodgers, Brady, Russ, Carr and Dak. You extrapolate the numbers he puts up in those games to a full season and it’s 102 tackles, 7 sacks, 7 ints, and 12 TFL. For comparisons sake his all pro season he had 125 tackles, 5 ints, 4 sacks and 9 TFL. So yeah I do think cutting someone that was playing at an all pro type of pace to save 6 million is a mistake. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I didn’t say he didn’t have a bad contract but you save 6 million by cutting him. So yes while it’s a bad contract you also aren’t going to put up the production he was putting up after the switch with 6 million. we need to try to restructure for sure but cutting that type of production isn’t worth 6 mil. And cutting him doesn’t transform the defense. I posted this in the qb thread from gb to first Dallas game before his injury with Landon in a hybrid role the team was giving up 18.9 pts per game and 292 yards per game both of those numbers would’ve out the team at 2nd in the league on the year. And that’s without your top two des for large stretches and facing Rodgers, Brady, Russ, Carr and Dak. You extrapolate the numbers he puts up in those games to a full season and it’s 102 tackles, 7 sacks, 7 ints, and 12 TFL. For comparisons sake his all pro season he had 125 tackles, 5 ints, 4 sacks and 9 TFL. So yeah I do think cutting someone that was playing at an all pro type of pace to save 6 million is a mistake. 

You extrapolate over a season, but he doesn’t stay healthy.  Has missed at least four games in three of the past for seasons.  Is he going to be healthier as he gets older?