Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to a Standig podcast with a SF reporter, they speculated that Tomlinson might be a target here considered Mayhew was the one who sprearheaded the SF move to land him and he was at Detriot before that

Mentioned that Mayhew was a strong advocate of Tomlinson. I could also see SF going after Scherff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Mentioned that Mayhew was a strong advocate of Tomlinson. I could also see SF going after Scherff.

Doubting SF goes after Scherff based on stuff in the podcast and what I've read which is the main reason why SF likely moves on from Tomlinson is money in the context of needing to sign other players they want to keep.    So I doubt they replace him with a dude who probably wants an even bigger payday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doubting SF goes after Scherff based on stuff in the podcast and what I've read which is the main reason why SF likely moves on from Tomlinson is money in the context of needing to sign other players they want to keep.    So I doubt they replace him with a dude who probably wants an even bigger payday.

SF are fine in the salary cap....if they dump Jimmy G and go with Lance that is...

We do actually have a good starting guard pair in Flowers and Schweitzer. I would still look to add a mid tier interior OL. 

• Like 1

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Projected Cap Space: $31.9M (9th)

Notable Free Agents: G Brandon Scherff, DI Tim Settle, T Cornelius Lucas, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, S Bobby McCain

Potential Cuts: DI Matt Ioannidis (saves $6.9 million), S Landon Collins (saves $6.4 million)

Team Needs: QB, LB, S

Washington is presumably going to pick up a new starting quarterback this offseason, whether it be Jimmy Garoppolo via trade or a rookie at No. 11 overall. In free agency, the Commanders are top-10 in projected cap space, and they should use at least a little bit of that cash at off-ball linebacker. One player to target is De’Vondre Campbell, who is fresh off a breakout with the Packers. Campbell was the second-highest graded player at the position in 2021 and won’t break the bank for Washington if they want him.

Star guard Brandon Scherff is looking for a long-term deal from the team after playing on multiple franchise tags. He’s projected to fetch a three-year, $50 million deal with $30 million guaranteed. Scherff has never produced a sub-70.0 PFF grade in his eight-year NFL career. I wouldn’t put it past the Commanders to shy away from bringing back Scherff considering the injuries as of late and the high price tag, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world to pay the price. He is one of the best guards in the game when healthy.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-preview-player-targets-potential-cuts-all-32-nfl-teams

Funny how most Washington fans view McKissic as more notable than Settle, or possibly McCain or Lucas.

Of course in no particular order they will still need a FS, MLB, DL depth, swing tackle, RB, WR, QB.

Lordy I hope they bring in a decent QB before the draft.

Adding Campbell before the draft would be expensive but sweet. I don't think he signs with Washington.

At least this year there are a number of MLB and FS options via FA and the draft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I can easily see Ron and Co signing Melvin Gordon to a big time deal 

I think it would take a lot of money for him to come here because he doesn’t want to be a RB2.  A guy like him would compliment Gibson well, but he’d likely get more touches in places like Miami, Houston, Atlanta, NYJ, or even Baltimore if Dobbins doesn’t recover well.

5 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I can easily see Ron and Co signing Melvin Gordon to a big time deal 

Zim, I think this guy is going to get a lot more time this upcoming season. :)  

Edited by RWJ

16 hours ago, RWJ said:

Zim, I think this guy is going to get a lot more time this upcoming season. :)  

I hope not. Our Oline deserves better. They should get a 225lbs bruising one cutter who lives between the tackles and thrives on contact, so we can really beat up on Dlines.

• Like 1

Late third, early 4rth rounder. Perfect complementary back to what we already have with Gibson and McKissic. Drafting him would be like rewarding our Oline for their blocking. Get a lead and come into the 4rth with Dameon Pierce fresh and just murder the other teams defense. Great blocker and soft hands, too.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

Not a fan of this honestly. Collins was fantastic once he was moved up to hybrid role. Remember seeing somewhere that he was #1 rated defender against the run in the entire league after the move (PFF). Cutting him only saves 6 million against the cap this year. Hate letting that kinda production go for just 6 million. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Not a fan of this honestly. Collins was fantastic once he was moved up to hybrid role. Remember seeing somewhere that he was #1 rated defender against the run in the entire league after the move (PFF). Cutting him only saves 6 million against the cap this year. Hate letting that kinda production go for just 6 million. 

Or 12 mil if we designate it post June 1st. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Late third, early 4rth rounder. Perfect complementary back to what we already have with Gibson and McKissic. Drafting him would be like rewarding our Oline for their blocking. Get a lead and come into the 4rth with Dameon Pierce fresh and just murder the other teams defense. Great blocker and soft hands, too.

Love Pierce, metioned him on the draft thread months back.  He had a big Senior Bowl, too.  

Oddly, UF didn't use him much.  But some of his metrics via PFF are sick, elite level sick and he's looked that way at times when he played.   Good fit with Gibson IMO because he can run power, not a pure zone back. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Tweet should say “predicts”…the way that person worded it makes it come across like a source told them it would happen.

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

It’s still 6. The other half of the dead cap just gets spread to next season. So you still only save 6 million total. 

Yeah I know, just stating if they did it and designated as post June 1st it would open up more space this year. If for example we had plans to spend big on a QB say.

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I know, just stating if they did it and designated as post June 1st it would open up more space this year. If for example we had plans to spend big on a QB say.

Yeah I know it’s just replacing the type of production he put up after he made the switch to that hybrid role isn’t the easiest thing. The d actually started playing up close to its potential once the switch was made after the kc game. 

Pretty sure I was standing alone in the Collins fan clubhouse at the start of the year. Now yall sad that his expected cut is coming.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love Pierce, metioned him on the draft thread months back.  He had a big Senior Bowl, too.  

Oddly, UF didn't use him much.  But some of his metrics via PFF are sick, elite level sick and he's looked that way at times when he played.   Good fit with Gibson IMO because he can run power, not a pure zone back. 

:ols: that's where I was when I posted it. :ols:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure I was standing alone in the Collins fan clubhouse at the start of the year. Now yall sad that his expected cut is coming.

Judging by some podcasts, two running themes with Collins.

A.  They ideally want to restructure his contract where he takes a paycut which Collins may or may not be willing to do.

B.  They plan to sign or draft a MLB.    that could leave Jamin Davis with somewhat of a hybrid role at times considering they play a lot of 2 LB sets.

• Like 1