Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

44 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Heck no on Barkley!  Dude is the most overrated player in the NFL.  Has no toughness.  Never runs through contact.  Has no vision.  CANNOT pass block.  

I agree, though not sure why that was in response to my post, I didn't even mention Barkley.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just heard on the radio the Broncos plan to sign Teddy Bridgewater to be their starting quarterback.

I bet that means they're definitely going to draft Pickett.

or

Rodgers is going to the Raiders, so we can get Carr.  :D

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree, though not sure why that was in response to my post, I didn't even mention Barkley.  😀

Haha, I saw your post quoting someone else.  However, I'm glad we both agree on that topic.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just heard on the radio the Broncos plan to sign Teddy Bridgewater to be their starting quarterback.

Probably as a bridge QB and they'll draft a QB in the 1st too.  Just guessing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Wonder if the same applies at RB ? Do you think there is a workhorse RB we would target to pair with Gibson? 

Honestly, I don’t follow the rest of the league much.  My guess is they’d really like McKissick back.  I think he probably wants more than you suggested, like 4-6mil?  Given how well he did as a receiver and pass blocker, plus his locker room presence (and our cap space), I have to wonder if there’s another sticking point for the FO… like maybe they want a better between the tackle runner?  Or maybe it is just that their numbers are that far off (say 3 vs 6 mil?).  No idea.

Maybe Darrell Williams, Chase Edmonds and James Conner could be options?

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just saw a tweet that A Cooper is likely to be released March 15th?

Do we pursue with the Vet QB market not leaning in our favor? 

Nah.  We can draft one.  The draft is deep at TE.  

7 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

We need to be in the business of acquiring elite talent, Coop is just that.

Make the call, do the deal, point blank

Word is G-men are gonna try to unload Barkley and might only get a 4th. Id be in on that before I give Coop 100 mil. And yes I know about injuries but he wouldnt have to be focal point of of offense here splitting time with Gibson. But GIbson and Barkley would be a deadly combo.

23 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Word is G-men are gonna try to unload Barkley and might only get a 4th. Id be in on that before I give Coop 100 mil. And yes I know about injuries but he wouldnt have to be focal point of of offense here splitting time with Gibson. But GIbson and Barkley would be a deadly combo.

You’ve answered your own point here fella, and I’d maybe be right there with you if it wasn’t for Barkley’s injury record. But then again if it wasn’t for that, I suspect the Giants wouldn’t be in the business of trying to offload him

Offer a QB the chance to work with Barkley or Coop and they’ll choose Coop every single time, and that’s what this off season is about

12 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

You’ve answered your own point here fella, and I’d maybe be right there with you if it wasn’t for Barkley’s injury record. But then again if it wasn’t for that, I suspect the Giants wouldn’t be in the business of trying to offload him

Offer a QB the chance to work with Barkley or Coop and they’ll choose Coop every single time, and that’s what this off season is about

You musta missed the other point about barkley not having to shoulder the entire load like he does in new york and with a better o line so should have more space to use his explosiveness 

With early-season injuries to pass rusher Ze'Darious Smith and cornerback Jaire Alexander, two of Green Bay's defensive leaders, Campbell stepped up and became that 'quarterback' of the defense. Campbell finished with a career-high 146 tackles this season, including 102 solo tackles. He simply had a way of finding the football and making plays on it.

In Washington, Campbell would fit perfectly into the middle linebacker role in Jack Del Rio's defense. As mentioned earlier, the Commanders need a player like Campbell to control the second level of the defense. Adding Campbell -- a sure-tackler, durable, and overall talented player -- would only elevate the rest of the linebacker room, specifically Davis.

Campbell is best defending the run, and the Commanders' linebacker room currently lacks a run-stuffing linebacker. Campbell has struggled in coverage in the past. But, his deficiency in that aspect can be made up by Holcomb and Davis -- two players who are best on the outside where their speed can be showcased in a variety of ways.

After earning just a modest $2 million in 2021, Campbell is due for a large pay raise this offseason. Even at age 28, Campbell is the best middle linebacker available on the open market. The Packers surely want to retain Campbell, but he's expected to have several clubs vying for his services.

The big question, though, is how much money will he command? Campbell had a better season than any other available linebacker, but he also turns 29 in July and didn't break out until his sixth NFL season.

It's worth noting that we have seen multiple middle linebackers be late bloomers in recent years, though. Thomas Davis -- a player who didn't make his first Pro Bowl until his age 32 season before rattling off three-straight Pro Bowl nods -- is a perfect example. He's also a player Rivera is plenty familiar with.

Rivera and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio are both former NFL linebackers. They understand what it takes to play well at the position at the highest level, as well as the importance and impact linebacker brings to a defense. Don't be surprised if the team inquiries early on about Campbell's services, as he's the type of player that can help elevate the Commanders' defense back to top-five status.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

You musta missed the other point about barkley not having to shoulder the entire load like he does in new york and with a better o line so should have more space to use his explosiveness 

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t see the sense in paying Barkley all that money with all that injury baggage. Maybe if his fitness record was better, but like I said he wouldn’t have been available then

Look at the reasons why these two players are moving on:

Barkley - injuries

Cooper - Finance, Dallas couldn’t afford that contract

Cooper’s injury record is better, and as we’re in the process of trying to get a QB you have to give them something to entice them, the idea of throwing to Terry, Coop and Samuel, that’s a genuine selling point for us

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

I didn’t miss it, I just don’t see the sense in paying Barkley all that money with all that injury baggage. Maybe if his fitness record was better, but like I said he wouldn’t have been available then

Look at the reasons why these two players are moving on:

Barkley - injuries

Cooper - Finance, Dallas couldn’t afford that contract

Cooper’s injury record is better, and as we’re in the process of trying to get a QB you have to give them something to entice them, the idea of throwing to Terry, Coop and Samuel, that’s a genuine selling point for us

Coop isnt going to come here likely for same reason he didnt last time. Qb situation. Barkley isnt going to cost as much as you think simply for same reason we've been talking about Barkley would likely have to sign very incentive laden deal with money tied to games played with certain outs in the contract to get out of it if need be.

20 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Coop isnt going to come here likely for same reason he didnt last time. Qb situation. Barkley isnt going to cost as much as you think simply for same reason we've been talking about Barkley would likely have to sign very incentive laden deal with money tied to games played with certain outs in the contract to get out of it if need be.

Barkley is making $7.2 mil this upcoming season…all guaranteed.