Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure they have the money to do both but it would be cool -- they are certainly both need positions.  If Scherff gets a big contract that comp pick would end up a 3rd so it would be a big deal to keep it. 

Theres plenty of money to do both. Packers just signed a rod to 200 mil over 4 year contract and tagged adams. There's really no effect of cap since teams are able to move around it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure they have the money to do both but it would be cool -- they are certainly both need positions.  If Scherff gets a big contract that comp pick would end up a 3rd so it would be a big deal to keep it. 

Not sure I want FA money tied up in cooper…he’s a little too injury prone for the $ he’ll be able to command.  I’d give Wagner a bag tho

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Commander -JB- said:

Bobby Wagner would be another on the long list of past their prime players Washington signs on the wrong side of their career for way too much money.  The sad part is that the fanbase still hasn’t learned.

Looked like an impact player when we faced him last year. He’s also the same age as London Fletcher when we signed him. That worked out well 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Not everyone you sign can be 27 

• Like 1

If this year's LB draft class were like last year's, signing Wagner would be a no brainer. However, given we are guaranteed a high quality off ball linebacker prospect in round 2, I would just draft a guy. I love the thought of having a freak like Andersen man the middle on a cheap deal the next 4 years

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Commander -JB- said:

Bobby Wagner would be another on the long list of past their prime players Washington signs on the wrong side of their career for way too much money.  The sad part is that the fanbase still hasn’t learned.

Hes still playing at an elite level and is easily a top 3 MLB. Would be amazing to add a vet like that to our young defense. 

Bring back Collins, sign Williams and this defense doesn't give up 20 points a game, so a young rookie QB isn't so pressured to carry the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, httrcirca87 said:

My ideal situation is we get Wagner and draft Hamilton to play FS. That way our D is set at all 3 levels.

that’ll be awesome, then if the D actually lives up to expectations we can lose games 13-6 going forward for the 2-3 years max we’d be able to keep that defense together. 

I’m just being facetious, that would be a fun defense to watch. But at some point you need to score points and make explosive plays. Using all premium assets to “perfect” the defense is not a viable long term (or seemingly short term, so far) way to win. 

47 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

You sign Wagner draft a mlb for him to groom like Dean. Draft ridder in second and sign the biscuit trubisky or winston.

You don’t spend #11 on a MLB that needs to be groomed behind an expensive FA. That would be horrendous resource management for a relatively low-impact position. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

If Amare Cooper gets cut I would think about the route of only signing cut players to not lose out on comp picks. Give me Hitchens, Wagner, Cooper right now.

For Scherff, Mccisick , Settle and McCain. We may be able to get 3 maybe 4 extra picks.

QB would be the one struggle. I guess Taylor and a rookie doesn’t sound too horrible.

27 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

If Amare Cooper gets cut I would think about the route of only signing cut players to not lose out on comp picks. Give me Hitchens, Wagner, Cooper right now.

For Scherff, Mccisick , Settle and McCain. We may be able to get 3 maybe 4 extra picks.

QB would be the one struggle. I guess Taylor and a rookie doesn’t sound too horrible.

That's a great point. Especially if the team sends a bunch of picks over for a veteran QB, it'll help to recoup at least some draft capital even if it is late Day 2 / Day 3 picks. Don't forget Lucas, Fitz and Carter as other guys that can draw meaningful deals in free agency.

Edited by method man

10 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

Actually, these players seem to work out. I'm not referring to a Jon Bostic but London Fletcher. Great players on the tail end of their careers tend to offer great value. 

11 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

Why do so many act like Snyders propensity for signing over the hill veterans at ridiculous contracts is a recent thing?

It's not, that was 20 years ago and for the last ten plus he's been a cheap prick who still hasn't won ****!

At least back then we had some reason to get excited.

If this team can't get an elite quarterback they may as well try to stack the hell out of the defense and give the fans some hope of a watchable product.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

My exact thought....isn't he just another Thomas Davis? I know you need a veteran and a legit MLB but why do we always try to squeeze the last little bit out a player once good teams realize their past their prime.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Agreed that Hitchens and Wager are enticing because they are't true free agents and wouldn't effect the comp pick situation.

If I had to guess:

Scherff - 3rd

Settle - 5th

McKissic - 6th

McCain - 7th

And that's assuming we sign nobody else. A QB will likely knock Setttle's comp off the list. A FS like Marcus Williams knocks off Scherff. So maybe, maybe, you're looking at 2 late comp picks but that's assuming you don't sign anyone else, which is unlikely.

My guess is we get a 3rd for Scherff, re-sign McKissic, and have a QB wash out Settle's comp

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Conn said:

You don’t spend #11 on a MLB that needs to be groomed behind an expensive FA. That would be horrendous resource management for a relatively low-impact position. 

It's not that Dean would NEED to be groomed. It's that it allows him to be groomed. Just like a vet qb/rookie. It's Same principle. Are we building a team for one year or multiple years? Then you also have to think of long term. Kuechly was best mlb and was an absolute game changer. So was Wagner. And so can Dean. Now granted if Hamilton was there you take him