Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I'm assuming they're going to designate it as a post June 1st cut so they can save almost 12mil not the 6.5 if it wasn't? Or do you think they want/need the 6.5 now? 

No idea.  More to come I guess. :) 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wow. I’m not sure why, but i kept seeing we had about 50M in cap space before the trade for wentz, 33M doesn’t seem like a lot for the moves we needed to make pre-wentz. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cap IS supposed to also go up 25 million which isnt included in those numbers if I am remembering correctly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sebestian said:

I really want to get Ertz now. Whoever originally posted that kudos to you. I will take all for NFC EAST platers that were discarded for what those teams said was a  better option. Revenge,  a dish best served cold. 

BPA for TE in FA or draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cap IS supposed to also go up 25 million which isnt included in those numbers if I am remembering correctly. 

Gambling revenue is going to kick. Thank you to all the degenerates out there. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wentz has maybe the best long ball in the NFL. That big mfer can chuck it 60+ yards accurately like its nothing.

I'm aware, that is definitely his appeal....but a wise man once taught me to stay medium in all things.

To even things out....Wentz has somewhat of a penchant for goofball turnovers, the kind where he just holds the ball Rothlesburger style and flips it to a defender.

Personally, a QB who will sling it downfield does way more for me than a Jimmy G type.....but this is still the ___skins making a trade for someone else's castoff QB, so I'm betting on this being an unmitigated disaster.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The big question is how many games will he play before sustaining the traditional Washington QB career ending injury.  I'm guessing the over/under at 4.

It depends on how big the "Wentztention" is. The more money they throw at him, the quicker he gets hurt. I'd say 25 per year and he goes down in the 2nd game.

(Then it's of course Heinicke time again, because they drafted another LB instead of a rookie QB :P)

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

It depends on how big the "Wentztention" is. The more money they throw at him, the quicker he gets hurt. I'd say 25 per year and he goes down in the 2nd game.

(Then it's of course Heinicke time again, because they drafted another LB instead of a rookie QB :P)

Hope any extension is just voidable years to spread the cap hit. If he earns it come back to the table after the year.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

We have a lot more work to do this week/weekend to get more money for FA.  Restructures, extensions, more cuts, if possible.  Maybe a trade.  

Well one down, Landon.  They may get McKissic back on a 3 yr 12 deal with 8 mill guaranteed.  Possble.  

Next one could be to extend Flowers. Get that number down. Convert the WJ3 roster bonus as well. Both moves could save a combined 7-8mil this year.

Keep in mind we were salary cap compliant before releasing Collins, so without doubt we are looking to spend some cash early next week.

Got to think we are considering those vet LBs now in the market.

I see the pukes are getting trade interest for Amari Cooper, looks like he may not be cut after all....

• Like 1

Looks like we could restructure some of the Wentz' money from this year and spread it over the next 2 years. It doesn't exactly make him a "free cut" after 2022, but if this FO is interested in a 2 year look-see, it might make sense to do so and free up some $$ this year. Of course, you could still move on from him, but would take a $11m hit if you cut him after the season.

Flowers extension, Wentz restructure, Collins' release (Assuming pre-June 1st) could get you to a position (per OTC)

2022: $29m

2023: $56m

2024: $128m

Of course, Payne and McLaurin extensions aren't factored into 2023 and 2024 numbers, but you can get some real wiggle-room if you touch the Wentz deal and extend Flowers.

No clue how restructures work but per OTC, you could hit Jackson, Samuel with restructures and free up about $12m combined to get your 2022 cap up near $40m while only driving 2023 down to $51m. Again, idk how this works, and I assume it's rare and players prefer not to do it.

I feel a little better about our situation after doing some calculator work over at OTC. Curious to see how we proceed.

35 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:
headshot-image
Marquez Valdes-ScantlingGREEN BAY PACKERS WR

He is one of the top deep threats on the market, one of the true "speed" guys in this class. When he's on the field, teams have to defend differently. He is a home run threat. I probably rank him higher than most, but I love outside speed in an offense.

I watch almost every Packers game and MVS is a no-go for me. He disappears often and just isn’t a reliable wr imo. I’d rather have Lazard than him to be honest. 

He is fast though…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I recall reading that for Rodgers to re sign he wanted assurances that MVS and Adams back. FWIW

Your on it Rumple:  

• The Athletic's Matt Schneidman said Marquez Valdes-Scantling will "probably" be too expensive for the Packers to re-sign. 

The Packers are going to have to break the proverbial bank to keep Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams on the roster, leaving little room to sign unrestricted free agents who are sure to see interest on the open market. Spotrac projects Valdes-Scantling’s next deal to be around three years and $24 million. MVS was on his way to a career year in 2021 before suffering a back injury that kept him sidelined for the season's final five games. He was finally used by Green Bay as something more than an exclusive deep threat, though he still averaged a whopping 18.1 air yards per target, by far the highest mark among Packers pass catchers. Schneidman said MVS's "production is simply too sporadic for a cap-strapped team to spend that much on him." A team with plenty of cap space will likely overpay for Valdes-Scantling’s services. 

... See More
    SOURCE: The Athletic
    Feb 28, 2022, 9:32 AM ET

• RELATED NEWS

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports Aaron Rodgers has “told people in confidence” he wants free agents Davante Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling wherever he plays next season.

The report comes after Rodgers called "everything on the table" when talking about his playing future. Rodgers had the Packers void the final year of his contract (2023) as part of last season's holdout and there are rumors the Broncos hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as their head coach was made as a play to lure the 38-year-old out of Green Bay. The Packers’ front office missteps — from drafting Jordan Love to balking at Rodgers and Adams extensions — are the driving force behind Rodgers wanting out. An NFC Divisional run and second consecutive MVP increase his chances of staying, but with a negative cap situation and GM Brian Gutekunst returning, it's possible 2021 ends up as Rodgers’s last season in Green Bay.

... See More
    Jan 28, 2022, 6:55 PM ET