Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Campbell is going to have too many people bidding on him for us to have a shot. Hicks is more in our range, but I just feel like Ron is going to have Lloyd tunnel vision.

Campbell wanted 10mil py last offseason, didn’t get it so took a prove it deal in GB, earned his pay day hasn’t he. Likely gets way more than 10mil average now.

Hicks plus a rookie would do me fine.

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I have a feeling we're going to try and sign Laken Tomlinson.   Mayhew drafted him and the 49ers traded for him when Mayhew was there.

OL upgrades work for me. Let’s give Wentz a top OL. I would definitely bring a guard in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

5-6 mil for McKissic is crazy.   I wouldn't go above 3 mil.    That's a position you can easily address in the draft.    James Cook is better than JD right now.

This is why I think McKissic is gone. Good guy. I'm sure the team wants him back if you don't factor in the salary. But McKissic has NEVER gotten paid. He was undrafted and cut by three other teams (Atlanta, Seattle, and Detroit) before landing here. He's been basically getting the minimum until signing here. And he only landed here because Detroit non-tendered him as a restricted free agent. So his value was still super low. I'm sure McKissic looks at this as his one opportunity to get paid and likely will take it. Meaning Washington is going to have to outbid everyone. That's rarely a good move and very difficult for a team without a ton of cap space.

As much as I like McKissic, he is replaceable. They found him for dirt cheap after bouncing around the league. And the league is littered with RBs that just emerged to be useful, be it as draft picks or fringe guys like McKissic that finally got it together (reminds me of when Dion Lewis finally put it together in New England after stops in Philly, Cleveland, and Indi. Then dud got paid by Tennessee).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

2 days and still no moves by our front office 🤔 they must think we're good enough as we are 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think we’ll see an Erek Flowers extension before the end of the weekend. Miami paid 6mil of his salary when we traded for him so cost us next to nothing so far. That’s the first deal to do.

The converts some roster bonus money, WJ3 and Wentz.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

2 days and still no moves by our front office 🤔 they must think we're good enough as we are 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Concerned too.  Others have mentioned leaking.  The NFL social media knows about everything after it happens. I don't understand why we are waiting when tampering starts in less 48 hours roughly.  

Edited by RWJ

12 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Possibly.  But not if we sign guys who were released like Wagner or Jordan Hicks :)

Definitely hope that we target Hicks, doubt we have the resources to get into the bidding war for Wagner. I just think we have more holes to fill in FA and probably won't get comp picks aside from Scherff, and that's mostly due to us not having cap space.

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Concerned too.  Others have mentioned leaking.  The NFL social media knows about everything after it happens. I don't understand why we are waiting when tampering starts in less 48 hours roughly.  

No need to panic. We are cap compliant and are still compliant after the Wentz deal. It’s not like that deal had take us over the cap limit. Technically we don’t even have to release Collins. Shuffling contract/cap money around can work hand in hand with signings.

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

No need to panic. We are cap compliant and are still compliant after the Wentz deal. It’s not like that deal had take us over the cap limit. Technically we don’t even have to release Collins. Shuffling contract/cap money around can work hand in hand with signings.

Understand but if you want to sign the player(s) you have to have the money to do it.  I guess technically we'd have until Wednesday, I think.  Not sure on that.  Another words, we can agree to a deal on Monday after 12pm but have to financially be set by Wednesday 4pm when it becomes official but we know we will see deals agreed upon and the number starting right after 12pm on Monday when tampering begins. :)  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Understand but if you want to sign the player(s) you have to have the money to do it.  I guess technically we'd have until Wednesday, I think.  Not sure on that.  Another words, we can agree to a deal on Monday after 12pm but have to financially be set by Wednesday 4pm when it becomes official but we know we will see deals agreed upon and the number starting right after 12pm on Monday when tampering begins. :)  

What you want to avoid is unnecessarily restructuring deals and pushing cap money out IF you don’t need the space. You may end up over committing on a player that you didn’t need to. 

We have several deals that are very manageable in terms of the cap. Those restructures will be very straightforward. So yes, you have that Monday/Tuesday period to get things aligned.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What you want to avoid is unnecessarily restructuring deals and pushing cap money out IF you don’t need the space. You may end up over committing on a player that you didn’t need to. 

We have several deals that are very manageable in terms of the cap. Those restructures will be very straightforward. So yes, you have that Monday/Tuesday period to get things aligned.

I'm with ya, 1974. :)  There will be some necessary restructuring/extensions soon (i.e. Flowers,  Terry M.. Payne possibly).  Personally, I don't want us to let Settle hit the market.  I think we need to do all we can to keep him.  There may be some trades too.  I love Ioannidis but we have depth (i.e.. Settle) so somethings got to give.  They may ask Ioannidis to restucture. A lot of unknowns until we hear and see what shakes out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm with ya, 1974. :)  There will be some necessary restructuring/extensions soon (i.e. Flowers,  Terry M.. Payne possibly).  Personally, I don't want us to let Settle hit the market.  I think we need to do all we can to keep him.  There may be some trades too.  I love Ioannidis but we have depth (i.e.. Settle) so somethings got to give.  They may ask Ioannidis to restucture. A lot of unknowns until we hear and see what shakes out.

Settles gone and that's fine.

• Thumb down 1

I seem to recall last Free Agency tamper period that we didn't hear ANYTHING! We all started freaking out that they weren't going to sign any high end free agents. Finally, on the first night of actual FA we got the news of the William Jackson signing. We were all relieved and excited. Good times!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I love Settle, but not at the expense of Matty I.

Matty I is under contract and has a lot more upside then Settle. More versatility too. He can play End and back up both Allen and Payne. If Settle was worth a roster spot, Payne wouldn't have gotten 90% of the snaps. Day 3 we can shoot for a space eater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this (see below) is a pretty good snapshot of the roster, even though it’s a bit out of date (post Leno’s re-signing, but pre Wentz trade).

Oline:  tender Ismael, sign a tackle for depth, see what the draft brings at guard (add a cheap vet if we don’t draft one).

WR: forgot about AGG/Harmon.  I think we’re fine for depth/competition, so it’s either a starting level FA or look to the draft.  Samuel having the ability to play inside or outside allows us flexibility.

RB:  could really use a guy that allows us to use Gibson differently.  One underrated thing we’re missing though is pass blocking (which could influence who we look at in the draft).

TE: could use more of an athletic, pass-catching TE.

S: need competition for Reaves at a minimum, but probably looking for a starting level FS prior to the draft.

Corner: need (at a minimum) a slot corner to compete with Hayden - wouldn’t be surprised if they re-sign Danny Johnson.  I think they’d definitely like to draft a corner fairly early.  Can never have enough, St Juste is a question mark, and Fuller is a FA next year (unless they extend him of course).  Wonder if McTyre gets healthy in time and re-signs (I have my doubts) to add depth/competition.  Maybe Roberts returns.

LB:  Seems like the team liked Mayo at the end of the year at MLB, but I have to think they’re looking for an upgrade prior to the draft and then also looking hard at drafting one early.  I think a talented, but (ideally) discounted guy like Vander Esch makes a lot of sense if paired with a rookie.

My guess is Davis and Holcomb compete for Collins’ role (though as more of a traditional WLB maybe?) and Holcomb, plus our current guys hold down the SLB spot.  Would be nice to have a succession plan for Holcomb…

DT:  This is maybe the most interesting position for us, IMO.  With Settle a FA and Payne/Io signed for one more year (currently), this is a sneaky position to draft early, even though yet another early round dlineman might be frowned upon.  Does the team wait on trying to extend Payne or cut/restructure Io until after the draft?  Do they try to re-sign Settle or another low-end vet?

DE:  I think we’re fine here with vets JSW/Toohill and young guys WKB and Toney to backup Young/Sweat.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/2/14/22930252/with-free-agency-a-month-away-what-does-the-commanders-2022-depth-chart-look-like

B054B28B-08FA-4292-A495-7F3E9B40B7A5.jpeg

380DC8DB-B19E-4E0D-B13B-22FDC99E0117.jpeg

Edited by skinny21

OFFICIAL WARNING TO ALL:

Do not expect to see any expensive Commander free agent signings in the first few days of free agency.

Those are Nordstrom, full retail, type deals. A market we are not well positioned for this year.

Expect to see a fair amount of Commanders activity when the Dollar Store opens for business. Generally 3 to 5 days into the process.

Remember: patience is a virtue.

• Haha 2