Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

Was Dallas trying to sneak him onto the Practice Squad when we stole him? Seems like a steal of a rotational guy even if he’s a dummy. 

Yeah, they were getting cute by not putting Dak on IR and had a roster crunch.

Both Ridgeway and Toohill were in division steals.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 2

I'm not sure where to put this thought but here might do, I watched the Chargers/Kansas game, how did we let Carter go?! He's a way better returner than anyone we have and has really blossomed into a good WR there too. From memory he didn't sign a big contract either. Massive fail.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, UK Skins said:

I'm not sure where to put this thought but here might do, I watched the Chargers/Kansas game, how did we let Carter go?! He's a way better returner than anyone we have and has really blossomed into a good WR there too. From memory he didn't sign a big contract either. Massive fail.

Not many people here were happy we let him walk.

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Not many people here were happy we let him walk.

Agreed and I think some have stated it’s possible he wanted to play in his home state, which he is now. For all we know we made an offer, but it wasn’t as aggressive or as enticing as theirs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UK Skins said:

All indications are that Carter wanted to go and back and play and live on the west coast. California, specifically, which is where he is from (San Jose).

Only an unbelievable contract may have kept him here on the east coast, and I don't think Washington was willing to pay that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

All indications are that Carter wanted to go and back and play and live on the west coast. California, specifically, which is where he is from (San Jose).

Only an unbelievable contract may have kept him here on the east coast, and I don't think Washington was willing to pay that.

Antonio Gibson is due for kickoff return TD. I’m chalking one up for the Niner game, when needed most. 

I agree on Carter, he was fantastic last year. 

• Like 2

Our O-Line is an elephant sized weakness in our offense. Why are people still griping about a 3rd string WR who would be on the bench in favor of our 1st round rookie WR who's leading the team in touchdowns despite not catching a single one in nearly 2 months?

Terry Mac, Curtis Samuel, and Jahan Dotson are very good. Dyami Brown is decent when he's not expected to carry the load. DeAndre Carter wouldn't have played center when Roullier and Larsen were injured. He wouldn't have played guard when Norwell and Turner strapped on their rollerblades. He wouldn't have bulked up an extra 120 pounds and grown 3 inches to play OT when Cosmi got injured.

DeAndre Carter doesn't matter.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

DeAndre Carter doesn't matter.

I wouldn't go that far. Dude was top 20 in the NFL in all purpose yards last season because he was so effective in the return game. That would be a major boon for a team that has troubles on the O side of the ball

There are certainly more pressing issues that need to be addressed, but I would not say such a potential impact player don't matter

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

On 11/22/2022 at 8:24 AM, UK Skins said:

Long story short was we drafted Jahan Dotson, we had Terry McClaurin and Curtis Samuel.  We drafted Dyami Brown last year.  So he was looking at 5th string WR at best.  The Rams called and he got the slot 3rd WR role.  Much more playing time available to him there.  It wasn't that we didn't want him back, it was the he saw it as a better opportunity than here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Shakazullo21 said:

Long story short was we drafted Jahan Dotson, we had Terry McClaurin and Curtis Samuel.  We drafted Dyami Brown last year.  So he was looking at 5th string WR at best.  The Rams called and he got the slot 3rd WR role.  Much more playing time available to him there.  It wasn't that we didn't want him back, it was the he saw it as a better opportunity than here.  

Chargers, that’s the team you’re thinking of. Same city though 

Remember when everybody was all bent out of shape because we lost Tim Settle and folks thought the literal end of the world was imminent because our extraordinarily average and replaceable 4th string DT went to Buffalo?  

To date, Settle is playing on roughly 40% of snaps and has a grand total of 5 solo tackles.  

I think it’s ok to say we’re not missing Settle that much.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remember when everybody was all bent out of shape because we lost Tim Settle and folks thought the literal end of the world was imminent because our extraordinarily average and replaceable 4th string DT went to Buffalo?  

To date, Settle is playing on roughly 40% of snaps and has a grand total of 5 solo tackles.  

I think it’s ok to say we’re not missing Settle that much.  

I’m of two minds here.  On one hand, I don’t mind the theory of moving on from Settle and Io, as long as there was a plan.  And it’s possible they liked Wise enough that they thought they could figure out that 4th (or 3rd) DT spot.  Io’s cap space was needed, to some extent, to fit Wentz.  I like it in theory, though in practice I’m not sure that worked out.  Of course, there’s also the unknown in regards to Io fitting with Sam Mills.  If that was part (especially if it was a large part) of the calculus, that might have been a mistake.

I give them credit for getting Ridgeway, in part because of how they got him - looking at a (young) player cut from a team that had some good depth there.

To your specific point though, yes, it’s looking like Settle clearly wasn’t some big loss (and it was way overblown).

They really should replace Milne with Dotson. The worry about injury is a stupid excuse.

Because Hiney doesn’t have much chemistry with Dotson and because extra tight ends also means fewer snaps for Dotson, giving Dotson punt returns is a way to get him needed extra touches to make an impact

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I’m of two minds here.  On one hand, I don’t mind the theory of moving on from Settle and Io, as long as there was a plan.  And it’s possible they liked Wise enough that they thought they could figure out that 4th (or 3rd) DT spot.  Io’s cap space was needed, to some extent, to fit Wentz.  I like it in theory, though in practice I’m not sure that worked out.  Of course, there’s also the unknown in regards to Io fitting with Sam Mills.  If that was part (especially if it was a large part) of the calculus, that might have been a mistake.

I give them credit for getting Ridgeway, in part because of how they got him - looking at a (young) player cut from a team that had some good depth there.

To your specific point though, yes, it’s looking like Settle clearly wasn’t some big loss (and it was way overblown).

I think they were high on Wise but they also didn’t see Settle as a disciplined NT. They went for Mathis because Mathis is a NT who has a track record of playing within the system at Alabama.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

How could there be any remaining questions as to whether letting Settle and Ion go was the right move? They’re being outperformed by all the younger, cheaper alternatives that replaced them as rotational pieces and the DL is playing better than ever. Maybe Settle and Ion would have also played better with the current coaches and DB play, sure—but the current guys are still younger and cheaper. 

Clearly this was a series of moves that worked out, the coaching staff it turns out has a handle on the DL depth decisions. Can’t question that now. 

The OL is another thing entirely. They can take plenty of criticism for that, that’s fair. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

The OL is another thing entirely. They can take plenty of criticism for that, that’s fair. 

What’s so odd is up until this year they got the benefit of the doubt on the OL because everything they did worked. 

Which is why a lot of us (me included) figured when they brought in Norwell and Turner it would at least be passable.  They knew the guys and they were trusted.

That didn’t work out so well.

• Like 2