Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

20 mil for a off ball Lbers. Wild.

This is an evolving thought process for me, but I'm starting to think teams are overvaluing edges and undervaluing off-ball backers.

If you think about it, the edge has one job: pass rush.

We have seen some of our off-ball backers (Jamin in particular) can get to the QB on blitzes, thus being just as effective.

We've also seen that edges tend to play undisciplined (aside from the best of the best like rookie Aiden Hutchinson, Nick Bosa, etc.) and allow for rush lanes vertically or they fail to contain.

Off-ball backers are expected to read/react, blitz, cover, shed blocks and be the best tacklers on the team.

I think the best of the best edges are worth very large contracts. But I think guys who are either good rushers and poor edge setters or good edge setters but poor rushers are worth about the same. 

I think top end off-ball backers are among the most versatile players on a defense in the modern day.

So bringing this back to Chase Young/Edges in general: I'd rather pay a mid to high tier versatile off-ball LB than a "good" edge.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is an evolving thought process for me, but I'm starting to think teams are overvaluing edges and undervaluing off-ball backers.

We have seen some of our off-ball backers (Jamin in particular) can get to the QB on blitzes, thus being just as effective.

We've also seen that edges tend to play undisciplined (aside from the best of the best like rookie Aiden Hutchinson, Nick Bosa, etc.) and allow for rush lanes vertically or they fail to contain.

Off-ball backers are expected to read/react, blitz, cover, shed blocks and be the best tacklers on the team.

I think the best of the best edges are worth very large contracts. But I think guys who are either good rushers and poor edge setters or good edge setters but poor rushers are worth about the same. 

I think top end off-ball backers are among the most versatile players on a defense in the modern day.

So bringing this back to Chase Young/Edges in general: I'd rather pay a mid to high tier versatile off-ball LB than a "good" edge.

I agree, especially if you have a pass rush in the middle of the line. 

Not a ton of LBers like that though. Smith, Warner, Wagner, David. Rare breed available through the draft. One of my biggest disappointments from coach Ron, I love watching a great Mike and he's had some amazing ones. (I like Davis)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This makes sense if a top LB. I am a big fan of Smith. When I heard they committed to the trade to acquire him, I saw a team that knew the position they wanted to fill, grabbed him and had full intention on signing him to a big new deal. Good for them, they got a really good one. Rivera has said he wanted this type of a a player for LB and QB for over 3 years now.

Do you think he and JDR will have interest in Tremaine Edwards? He is an above average guy but not Smith

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This makes sense if a top LB. I am a big fan of Smith. When I heard they committed to the trade to acquire him, I saw a team that knew the position they wanted to fill, grabbed him and had full intention on signing him to a big new deal. Good for them, they got a really good one. Rivera has said he wanted this type of a a player for LB and QB for over 3 years now.

Do you think he and JDR will have interest in Tremaine Edwards? He is an above average guy but not Smith

Tremaine Edmunds would be on my radar. Issue is the ownership situation. I'm not sure how much money this team is going to ultimately spend. 

Just now, KDawg said:

Tremaine Edmunds would be on my radar. Issue is the ownership situation. I'm not sure how much money this team is going to ultimately spend. 

He is a good fit and comes from Rivera's buddy's system in Buffalo. I know they were enamored with Milano a coupe years back and was their number one target before he resigned with them. I believe he will be targeted by a few teams unfortunately 

• 3 weeks later...

Remember how surprised people were by what the Jags paid Engram? People attributed it to the Jags just overpaying everyone last offseason, but I don’t think that’s it.

I think TE is a position where the original team to draft a dude (especially after multiple regime changes) can lose sight of what a guy is good at, and instead get fixated on what they CAN’T do. What they DIDN’T develop into. The lost potential for more. When these guys hit FA, a competent FO/coaching staff can reset expectations and if they’re any good, they’ll pay a guy for exactly what he CAN do and then actually let him do that to justify the contract.

That’s Engram. Can’t block, drops some passes. But use him down the field, in the RZ, let him be a glorified WR and big slot and pepper him with high quality targets, well: suddenly he’s a good player—and they paid him like it rather than try to draft and develop someone who might have that skillset. 

I could see Gesicki being a very similar case. TE is a wasteland across the league and with Gesicki, someone—someone who wants the skillset that the Dolphins took for granted—will pay for it.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

Has anyone confirmed that Ron and Marty met with the Snyders and received the "budget" for spending this offseason on coaches/players?  We need that shoe to drop to get a FA plan going.  Hopefully if the sale is going to go thru and the main players are identified, the new potential owner is already planning for staff and or spending on players.

16 hours ago, Conn said:

I could see Gesicki being a very similar case. TE is a wasteland across the league and with Gesicki, someone—someone who wants the skillset that the Dolphins took for granted—will pay for it.

The Dolphins definitely weren't enamored with Gesicki this past season. There was a stretch where had 2 catches in 5 games with 3 straight games where he was shutout. 32 catches for the season doesn't sound like someone who's market value should exceed 8 mil per?

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pretty excited to see the XFL and USFL to see if there are any guys that deserve a flyer. 

Also, the DC Defenders defensive coordinator is Gregg Williams (so this is WFT related!) so that could be fun.

That's kind of crazy. He came so close to being our HC. I loved the way our defense played under him. I will definitely go to a game or two.