Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So does this mean the Steelers absorbed his entire contract, no dead money?

We eat 10 of his 13 M this year saving a couple M

His void years will be accelerated next year causing a 9M dead cap hit on us in 2023. That is several Mil less than he woulda been paid tho.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

We eat 10 of his 13 M this year saving a couple M

His void years will be accelerated next year causing a 9M dead cap hit on us in 2023. That is several Mil less than he woulda been paid tho.

Yeah, it’s a bummer.  But they screwed up the evaluation and now they’re paying for it.  Literally.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, it’s a bummer.  But they screwed up the evaluation and now they’re paying for it.  Literally.

Yep Rivera has openly admitted they screwed that up. Very expensive mistake. I do also wonder if WJ3 was slightly limited between the ears which compounded the problem of him playing our D.

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's a shame we never had a really good Tackle to trade away. Coulda really helped this team.

There were folks that argued relentlessly that both Kirk and Trent were worth peanuts in trade, and that any rumors of first round picks+ were fairy tales.  I assume because their own biases towards the players wouldn’t allow them to believe that perhaps other teams would covet these players.

I recall even after Lynch came out and said Kyle was devastated not getting Kirk, and Jay said they offered up to two first round picks for him, we still had folks that just couldn’t fathom how that could be.  

Kyle and Lynch then get the consolation prize, an elite left tackle with plenty of tread on his tires, for a third round pick.

You simply cannot manage assets like this and be successful hence the purgatory we reside in.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There were folks that argued relentlessly that both Kirk and Trent were worth peanuts in trade, and that any rumors of first round picks+ were fairy tales.  I assume because their own biases towards the players wouldn’t allow them to believe that perhaps other teams would covet these players.

I recall even after Lynch came out and said Kyle was devastated not getting Kirk, and Jay said they offered up to two first round picks for him, we still had folks that just couldn’t fathom how that could be.  

Kyle and Lynch then get the consolation prize, an elite left tackle with plenty of tread on his tires, for a third round pick.

You simply cannot manage assets like this and be successful hence the purgatory we reside in.

2 damn 1rsts for Kirk. Unreal. Look how jacked the Eagles are now from the Wentz trade. Them and the Dolphins are doing it right. 

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

2 damn 1rsts for Kirk. Unreal. Look how jacked the Eagles are now from the Wentz trade. Them and the Dolphins are doing it right. 

No doubt, they are always wheeling and dealing and making moves at the right juncture to capitalize.  

Back in the Bruce/Dan days we preferred to go out of our way to depreciate our own assets out of spite.  Good times.

• Like 2

I ****ing love behind the scenes info like this, from the guys in charge, about how due diligence and trade talks and such actually go down in the NFL. Because of that, I figured you all would find this interesting too:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

I ****ing love behind the scenes info like this, from the guys in charge, about how due diligence and trade talks and such actually go down in the NFL. Because of that, I figured you all would find this interesting too:

Rare to find a GM this candid.  A title of President would be a promotion, right?  Something for the new owner to think about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Rare to find a GM this candid.  A title of President would be a promotion, right?  Something for the new owner to think about.

Nah, regardless of title FO position basically tops out with having final personnel say in an organization, he’s under contract and would never be allowed to interview or leave. Coming here wouldn’t be a promotion per the rules even if he technically had more on his plate on the business side or whatever.

Edited by Conn

• 2 weeks later...

I like Cole Holcomb more than most on this board.  Unlike some on this board, I think he is a legit mid level NFL starter.  Granted some of those guys on the list, are more than mid level starters.  Their high end guys.   It would be great to get a high end guy if it works out cap wise, but I am fine with bringing Holcomb back.  I think he had a surprising rookie year, a disappointing second year, an improved third year, and I think his fourth year so far is his best year.  Unless we are going to upgrade I want to bring him back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I like Cole Holcomb more than most on this board.  Unlike some on this board, I think he is a legit mid level NFL starter.  Granted some of those guys on the list, are more than mid level starters.  Their high end guys.   It would be great to get a high end guy if it works out cap wise, but I am fine with bringing Holcomb back.  I think he had a surprising rookie year, a disappointing second year, an improved third year, and I think his fourth year so far is his best year.  Unless we are going to upgrade I want to bring him back.

I agree. Edmunds, David and Smith are in an elite tier. The other guys on that list are in the same tier as Holcomb and many of them are not playcallers like Holcomb has now become

• Like 1

Spending big money in FA on off ball LBs is usually a really inefficient thing to do, cap-wise, a guy has to be really special to be worth that. Depends on what we see in the incoming rookie class I guess, but I wouldn’t put ILB as a 5 alarm fire tier emergency like I thought this past offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m pretty interested in a waiver claim on Eno Benjamin depending on the injuries to McKissic and Williams. 

The claim is that he was unhappy with playing time once Conner got back.  Wasn’t doing things in practice that he was supposed and went off Sunday after a win.

Showed a lot of talent though.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

The claim is that he was unhappy with playing time once Conner got back.  Wasn’t doing things in practice that he was supposed and went off Sunday after a win.

Showed a lot of talent though.

ahh okay well he’s not gonna get more touches here, so if he’s a malcontent then I’m out. Don’t want to mess with the dank vibes this locker room is brewing up. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 1:54 PM, FLSkinz83 said:

I really liked Amari Rogers at Clemson.  Surprised he's been bad so far. 

I have been baffled by his pro career, even in the return game. 

He was an exciting player in college. I thought when Green Bay grabbed him he would become one of Aaron Rodgers best friends.