Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, method man said:

With Larsen, I would totally bring him back but do what they did this year. Start him on PUP and bring him off of it when you need him. Allows you to fit an extra lineman on the season opening roster. They should take a quality center they feel good about starting right away like Schmitz in rd 2

Ooh, yeah, forgot how bad his injury is.  I’d definitely look to draft a center early.  Heck, I’d look to take another late (preferably one with both G and C experience/capability).

March is FA and IDK if we'll divert strategy too much from the comp pick game (not assuming new front office at this point).  There are a few options with voiding contracts (pretty sure they don't count against the comp pick formula).  

Could a new owner that hasn't switched coaching staffs be enough to entice Lavante David when that was previously off the table?  TJ Edwards?  A few Eagles on here that might be worth looking at in FA.

image.png.9376a9bc8cda84597791dea54609f3de.png

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Ooh, yeah, forgot how bad his injury is.  I’d definitely look to draft a center early.  Heck, I’d look to take another late (preferably one with both G and C experience/capability).

I'd go with just one drafted center. Center is one of those positions where most guys need 1-2 years of experience before being starters. I am betting that someone like Schmitz who has years of experience in college and is known for a high football IQ can become a Day 1 starter. I'd draft someone like Schmitz, resign Schweitzer and add a better answer for a center backup than Nick Martin who can compete for a job at camp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illone said:

Can we offer Tyler Larsen?  Seemed like the Oline was better when he was in the lineup...

I'd imagine he would be dirt cheap, and we need as many options at C as possible. We need more than we can carry on the roster so when our injury prone guys get hurt we have a pool to pull from.

1 hour ago, method man said:

I'd go with just one drafted center. Center is one of those positions where most guys need 1-2 years of experience before being starters. I am betting that someone like Schmitz who has years of experience in college and is known for a high football IQ can become a Day 1 starter. I'd draft someone like Schmitz, resign Schweitzer and add a better answer for a center backup than Nick Martin who can compete for a job at camp

Fair enough.  I was picturing drafting a second center (with G capability) that could compete for that last roster spot (covering both G and C), but would be more likely to wind up on the PS.  If we’re lucky, they end up replacing Larsen/Schweitzer down the road… which fits with your point about needing development time.  

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd imagine he would be dirt cheap, and we need as many options at C as possible. We need more than we can carry on the roster so when our injury prone guys get hurt we have a pool to pull from.

I think he signed for one year for around $2MM... 

On 1/3/2023 at 3:05 PM, CommDownMan said:

March is FA and IDK if we'll divert strategy too much from the comp pick game (not assuming new front office at this point).  There are a few options with voiding contracts (pretty sure they don't count against the comp pick formula).  

Could a new owner that hasn't switched coaching staffs be enough to entice Lavante David when that was previously off the table?  TJ Edwards?  A few Eagles on here that might be worth looking at in FA.

image.png.9376a9bc8cda84597791dea54609f3de.png

I think it’s tough to assume new FO by March given its January and there hasn’t been movement on the sale. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it’s tough to assume new FO by March given its January and there hasn’t been movement on the sale. 

I agree, that's why I posted players that allow us to play the comp pick game if FO doesn't have the authority to keep Payne.  This FO would likely go for players that aren't used in the comp pick formula.

Edit: to be clear I'm hoping there is a new owner by March still.  I guess then they could agree to Payne extension so it doesn't all line up...for needing this strategy.

Edited by CommDownMan

On 1/3/2023 at 12:20 AM, method man said:

My favorite FA target for the OL is Andre Dillard of the Eagles. Very talented player who is going to be available due to circumstances. He was their 1st round pick in 2019 but has dealt with injuries and lost the left tackle battle to Mailata who has become a top 5 LT in football. He has not been able to get a consistent starting job on the Philly OL because they have an entrenched starter in Lane Johnson at RT and are locked in at guard. Thus, over time, he has been a bit of a swingman who has played along the line except center. Along the way, he has been coached up by Jeff Stoutland, an OL coaching wizard. I think of him as a poor man's Elgton Jenkins. A guy you could probably pick up for 3 years at a $7M-$9M AAV who could start for you at RT or inside at guard.

I both agree and disagree with you on Dillard. I think he would be a good acquisition for any team looking for a left tackle. His career with the Eagles has been bizarre. Drafted in the first round with the idea of sitting behind Jason Peters as a rookie and then taking the job his next year. But he gets injured his second year and Jordan Mailata takes the job and turns out to be good. And then he gets hurt again the next year. And remains on the bench this year.

A lot of Eagles fans hate him because they consider him soft, both mentally and physically. There is also the issue of his utter inability to play right tackle. He was forced to start there one game as a rookie, and it did not go well. At all. It’s like his body won’t function doing things in reverse. So except for that one game as a rookie, he has never played on the right side. He has, however, played a little left guard from time to time this year. He’s super athletic (his combine numbers were off the chart) so I think he could play there, although he’ll never be a mauler. What he does have is very quick feet. And his backpedal at left tackle is amazing. He’s a bit vulnerable to the inside and I don’t think his anchor is ever going to be great.

But overall, he’ll yeah I think he can be a solid pass protecting left tackle in the league. I want to see him do well.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 10:33 AM, KDawg said:

I don't know. Bids are in. Dan has skipped at least the last few games in person. Who knows how much movement is going on? Sounds like he's checked out and letter BoA handle things. 

On 1/8/2023 at 10:44 AM, Franklin60 said:

I both agree and disagree with you on Dillard. I think he would be a good acquisition for any team looking for a left tackle. His career with the Eagles has been bizarre. Drafted in the first round with the idea of sitting behind Jason Peters as a rookie and then taking the job his next year. But he gets injured his second year and Jordan Mailata takes the job and turns out to be good. And then he gets hurt again the next year. And remains on the bench this year.

A lot of Eagles fans hate him because they consider him soft, both mentally and physically. There is also the issue of his utter inability to play right tackle. He was forced to start there one game as a rookie, and it did not go well. At all. It’s like his body won’t function doing things in reverse. So except for that one game as a rookie, he has never played on the right side. He has, however, played a little left guard from time to time this year. He’s super athletic (his combine numbers were off the chart) so I think he could play there, although he’ll never be a mauler. What he does have is very quick feet. And his backpedal at left tackle is amazing. He’s a bit vulnerable to the inside and I don’t think his anchor is ever going to be great.

But overall, he’ll yeah I think he can be a solid pass protecting left tackle in the league. I want to see him do well.

Thanks for the insight. Interesting on his experience at RT...I hope he would be better at RT with a second go now as a veteran vs as a rookie. I guess one way to think about it is if he fails as a RT, you could always move him inside to guard because, to your point, he has shown to be a solid player there.

I don't know why everyone is worried about losing Payne due to the ownership situation. Worst case, what they can do is franchise him, which entails a 1 year commitment, and give him a multiyear deal once the new owner is in. It is minor but I think a guy like Holcomb is more susceptible to being lost because he will require a multiyear deal (although the guaranteed money will be small)

Wow, Huge discrepancy between pass and run blocking for McGary.  I also wonder how having Lindstrom next to him helps pad his run blocking grade.  I know PFF grades are to be taken with a grain of salt, but 91.6 is amazing.

Mike McGlinchey is also a FA RT, and his pff grade is 71.6, significantly lower than McGary. 

LT Orlando Brown scares me, I know he was struggling early in the year.  Brown also is a much better run blocker than he is a pass blocker.  He is going to get big bucks, not sure if he deserves that type of contract.

McGary might be the one to target.  Falcons just signed Matthews to a big contract, and Lindstrom will be a FA after next year, they may have to let KM walk to target other areas.

10 hours ago, method man said:

Thanks for the insight. Interesting on his experience at RT...I hope he would be better at RT with a second go now as a veteran vs as a rookie. I guess one way to think about it is if he fails as a RT, you could always move him inside to guard because, to your point, he has shown to be a solid player there.

I don't know why everyone is worried about losing Payne due to the ownership situation. Worst case, what they can do is franchise him, which entails a 1 year commitment, and give him a multiyear deal once the new owner is in. It is minor but I think a guy like Holcomb is more susceptible to being lost because he will require a multiyear deal (although the guaranteed money will be small)

I think RT is totally out of the question for Dillard. In fact, the Eagles could have tried him there when Lane Johnson went down with an injury. Instead they’ve played Jack Driscoll, a marginal talent, instead. With less than stellar results, I should add. They also could have moved Mailata to right tackle (he has some experience there and in fact during his second season that was his primary position in camp) and inserted Dillard at left tackle. But they didn’t do that either. It’s entirely possible that the Eagles don’t really think as highly of Dillard as I’ve always imagined they would. 

I still like him though, although I still liked Wentz too and gave him a firm endorsement prior to this season. So what the hell do I know anyway?

I think what we need to look out for is if the sale doesn't go through before free agency will Snyder pay Big Money for Free Agents?. In my opinion he won't spend a penny more than he needs to for our or other teams FA. I'm worried that we won't sign Daron Payne to a deserved LTD, as well as other players we have drafted who deserve new deals.

15 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Would this be happening if Rivera was on the way out? I would think, especially with Dan otw out, the the roster would essentially be static.

I’ve never really paid attention to these things so maybe it’s business as usual until it’s not with coach firings. 

3 minutes ago, WFT4Ever said:

Would this be happening if Rivera was on the way out? I would think, especially with Dan otw out, the the roster would essentially be static.

I’ve never really paid attention to these things so maybe it’s business as usual until it’s not with coach firings. 

It is BAU. I dont think any guaranteed money in these deals

25 minutes ago, WFT4Ever said:

These are pocket change non-guaranteed deals and would happen regardless, every team does it (even the ones experiencing turnover).

I don’t say that to keep hope alive that we’d move on from Rivera though, that still seems very unlikely with the ownership sale looming. 

Edited by Conn