Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

37 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

18 million for Payme seems well worth it.

He played in a contract year.  Look at his numbers the other years before that.  Not worth the money when we need to fill other holes and give Curl an extension. We can get along with Ridgeway and Mathis.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

He played in a contract year.  Look at his numbers the other years before that.  Not worth the money when we need to fill other holes and give Curl an extension. We can get along with Ridgeway and Mathis.  

I’d tag him regardless.  If another team wants to trade for him, great.  If not, pay him one more year and then you got 6 good years out of a mid-first round pick + a comp pick.  That’s a win.  

Something like 60% of first rounders done make it to year 5 on the team that drafted them.  Keep a guy for 6 playing at a high level? I’m good with that.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we tag him he'll be in another contract year. No large QB contract. We can afford it.

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Disagree.  We’re not paying big money to a QB, so what the hell are we sitting on money for?  Are we going to let every other good to great player walk with this mentality?  We’re not devoting significant resources to ANY position right now save for McLaurin & Allen.  We can pony up the money to pay Payne.  If we keep letting talent walk out the door, then no FA will want to sign here (we have a hard time signing FA’s as it is), and the players we do draft will be leery of believing in this team and it’s ability to keep its homegrown players after their rookie deals.

We’re in a great spot to pay our best players now, and not having to worry about paying 40-50 million a year at QB like the Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals and Broncos are.   We might end up losing Payne due to the ownership situation, and being on a budget, but we should tag Payne at the very least.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Disagree.  We’re not paying big money for a QB, so what the hell are we sitting on money for?  Are we going to let every other good to great player walk with this mentality?  We’re not devoting significant resources to ANY position right now save for McLaurin & Allen.  We can pony up the money to pay Payne.  If we keep letting talent walk out the door, then no FA will want to sign here (we have a hard time signing FA’s as it is), and the players we do draft will be leery of believing in this team and it’s ability to keep its homegrown players after their rookie deals.

We’re in a great spot to pay our best players now, and not having to worry about paying 40-50 million a year at QB like the Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals and Broncos are. 

We could sure use that money on a bonefide, proven, young ILB that fits our scheme along with a IOL or two.  I say pass on paying Payne big bucks.  Plus there are other player that will need to be reupped.  Payne gave this team one good year as a 1st round pick.  That's it.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We could sure use that money on a bonefide, proven, young ILB that fits our scheme along with a IOL or two.  I say pass on paying Payne big bucks.  

Which ILB is out there in FA?  We’ll be on a budget this offseason, so I doubt we do anything in FA on that front, unless we’re drafting that position.  If we have $50-$60 Milllion in cap space, then it should be a no brainer to tag Payne if we can’t get a deal done.

Edited by samy316
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Curl needs to stay healthy too, Sign the player that is on the field,( Payne). Sign Curl too. sign Sweat, Holcom. Cut the lard from the OL. Logan, Wentz.  Use the draft if you cannot sign any free agent contracts. Pay the players who play if possible. 

I would, at a minimum, tag Payne. He's too good (and young) to simply let walk. And there's really no one else in free agency worth spending that money on (let alone someone that would actually sign here). The team has the cap room, so at least use it for the best players you can get.

• Thumb up 1

I just think that not paying our best players doesn't make sense for this team.  If we were paying big money to a QB, then I could see the logic in letting some good players walk because of the cost to keep them and your franchise QB.  But we don't have that problem at the moment.  We're not paying big money to anyone, save for McLaurin and Jon Allen.  We're in a great spot currently to pay our best players, with a rookie QB making peanuts on the dollar.  That's the way you want to operate in the NFL.  Part of that equation is for our rookie QB to take the next leap.  Payne would command around $20 Million a year roughly.  If we pay that number, we would STILL be in good shape with our cap moving forward.  We don't have to worry about Sweat or Young until next year, and the salary cap will still be increasing.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

On 1/30/2023 at 11:24 PM, Jericho said:

I would, at a minimum, tag Payne. He's too good (and young) to simply let walk. And there's really no one else in free agency worth spending that money on (let alone someone that would actually sign here). The team has the cap room, so at least use it for the best players you can get.

What benefits Payne is the free agent DT crop isn't particularly deep, IMO.  I'm just not sure Payne has proven to be worth the premium, this past year notwithstanding. With him, it's all about projection.  Are we confident we'll get top 3-5 DT performance outta him going forward?  

Mathis not playing also helped him, cuz there's no clear in-house alternative.  

The play here is to tag and trade Payne this year. Washington will absolutely get a pic, and the new team can work out a longer contract. Once they tag him they can just sit and wait for a team to come to with a great offer or wait for a DT to get hurt next preseason. Worst case Payne plays one more year here and then we get a 3rd comp pick in 24 - thats not a bad scenario as your last option. 

Of course I expect our ****ty FO to screw this up completely. 

On 1/30/2023 at 8:41 PM, RWJ said:

He's missed one game in his career I believe. 1 game. As Bill Parcells said, "the best ability is availability"...That's Payne.

As for getting along with Ridgeway and a recovering Mathis, that's a stretch in my opinion, especially when you have a guy like Payne in your control. I agree with VOR, franchise him for a year and see what Ridgeway and Mathis give you next year and maybe then you can move on from Payne....or not. 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

He's missed one game in his career I believe. 1 game. As Bill Parcells said, "the best ability is availability"...That's Payne.

As for getting along with Ridgeway and a recovering Mathis, that's a stretch in my opinion, especially when you have a guy like Payne in your control. I agree with VOR, franchise him for a year and see what Ridgeway and Mathis give you next year and maybe then you can move on from Payne....or not. 

Yep. It’s Payne’s durability that makes me want to keep him. Even if he goes back to being the 5 sack a season guy, if you get that production from Payne for 17 games, that at least provides a floor on his value. Ridgeway and Mathis are also more NTs so you can just run more Cinco package to get those guys playing time

As I pointed out in a other thread, one reason why the Eagles are successful is they have 9 starters on second contracts who were drafted by them (incl their entire OL). We have 4 and need to add to that number. There are consequences to losing Cousins, Trent, Scherff, Preston Smith and others for minimal trade comp or comp picks. We need to keep our good players and add to that with draft classes to have sustained success

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, method man said:

As I pointed out in a other thread, one reason why the Eagles are successful is they have 9 starters on second contracts who were drafted by them (incl their entire OL). We have 4 and need to add to that number. There are consequences to losing Cousins, Trent, Scherff, Preston Smith and others for minimal trade comp or comp picks. We need to keep our good players and add to that with draft classes to have sustained success

I agree....losing players that we drafted, especially 1st round picks, just getting comp picks in return doesn't make sense to me on many levels. What does it tell your locker room? Why pick guys, watch them become pro bowlers, just to let them go for a comp pick? Losing Trent Williams and Sherff killed our offensive line and we paid for it this season. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree....losing players that we drafted, especially 1st round picks, just getting comp picks in return doesn't make sense to me on many levels. What does it tell your locker room? Why pick guys, watch them become pro bowlers, just to let them go for a comp pick? Losing Trent Williams and Sherff killed our offensive line and we paid for it this season. 

I get we can’t keep all the DLs but Sweat has to obviously be the guy left out. He has the lowest ceiling of the bunch

1 hour ago, method man said:

I get we can’t keep all the DLs but Sweat has to obviously be the guy left out. He has the lowest ceiling of the bunch

That's who I would keep over Payne.  Again, I go with Ridgeway and Mathis to man Payne's position.  Yes, rookie season Mathis blows out the knee but I go that direction.  We'll see what they do. 

16 hours ago, RWJ said:

That's who I would keep over Payne.  Again, I go with Ridgeway and Mathis to man Payne's position.  Yes, rookie season Mathis blows out the knee but I go that direction.  We'll see what they do. 

Makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would we keep Sweat over Payne, when Sweat hasn’t done anything to earn an a new contract?  That’s just literally letting talent walk out the door and getting worse for no reason.  If you don’t want to pay Payne, then we damn sure shouldn’t pay Sweat.  Also, there’s no guarantee Mathis or Ridgeway can replace the production of Payne.  We’re going to get markedly worse in one of our only strengths that we have as a team.

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would we keep Sweat over Payne, when Sweat hasn’t done anything to earn an a new contract?  That’s just literally letting talent walk out the door and getting worse for no reason.  If you don’t want to pay Payne, then we damn sure shouldn’t pay Sweat.  Also, there’s no guarantee Mathis or Ridgeway can replace the production of Payne.  We’re going to get markedly worse in one of our only strengths that we have as a team to save money.  We’re in a position of strength when it comes to our cap.  No franchise QB that we have to pay means that we can pay guys that deserve it.  Now is not the time to become cheap and let talent walk out the door when it doesn’t make sense to.

Edited by samy316

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless ownership changes soon I suspect we don’t play in FA but if that changes 

I can understand not shelling out huge dollars for a QB, but these contracts seem like a drop in the bucket moneywise for a guy who’s about to get 7 billion. Perhaps something like this can be done as opposed to a complete spending freeze. we shall see. But if it is a total spending freeze, the good news is we will carry over a ton of salary cap space into the following season. If skipping free agency completely this year is what it takes to get rid of Snyder, then I’ll be perfectly happy to sign nobody.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

I can understand not shelling out huge dollars for a QB, but these contracts seem like a drop in the bucket moneywise for a guy who’s about to get 7 billion. Perhaps something like this can be done as opposed to a complete spending freeze. we shall see. But if it is a total spending freeze, the good news is we will carry over a ton of salary cap space into the following season. If skipping free agency completely this year is what it takes to get rid of Snyder, then I’ll be perfectly happy to sign nobody.

You never know with Dan but he was definitely cheap last year.  Hopefully the new owner is defacto on board this month.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

You never know with Dan but he was definitely cheap last year.  Hopefully the new owner is defacto on board this month.

Hard to tell if he was cheap, or the good free agents just didn’t want to come here. Maybe both. But yes hopefully the new owner gets on board ASAP, otherwise it might be a pretty boring off-season (other than the Snyder is gone celebration!)