Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Unless Flowers is asking for too much money and/or isn't in football shape.....why is he sitting on the couch at this point in the season?

It was reported he’s close to 400 pounds, he’s never playing again. Nobody wanted him for a reason. 

12 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

Though Ismael may not be Ishmael, Keith was our 5th round draft choice. In any case "This whole book [season?] is but a draught [draft]-- nay, but the draught of a draught--Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and patience." Last sentence of Chapter 32 ("Cetology") MD (had to do it). Now, I will leave quietly.  

So many great words of wisdom contained within that near sacred tome.  It has been a constant source of both enlightenment and frustration throughout my days-- though more so in foul weather than fair.

When I first read the book, almost 70 years ago now, there was a curious and brief line, rarely quoted, that puzzled, tormented, and stayed with me throughout the years, like a dark tattoo to my soul:

"All mortal greatness is but disease."

Only now, as the curtain slowly falls for the final time, do I begin to glimpse it's true meaning.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Dotson is good but we might have effed up not drafting Tyler Linderbaum who might already be a Pro Bowl C as a rookie for Baltimore.

I have no regrets though since Dotson has both a game winning and game tying TD this year.

In terms of need, Linderbaum would have fit better this year. In terms of value, Dotson was the right pick

If Dotson became Hunter Renfrow and Linderbaum became the best center in the game, Dotson would hold more value because Renfrow has a $16M AAV and the highest paid center (Kelce) is at $14M

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

So many great words of wisdom contained within that near sacred tome.  It has been a constant source of both enlightenment and frustration throughout my days-- though more so in foul weather than fair.

When I first read the book, almost 70 years ago now, there was a curious and brief line, rarely quoted, that puzzled, tormented, and stayed with me throughout the years, like a dark tattoo to my soul:

"All mortal greatness is but disease."

Only now, as the curtain slowly falls for the final time, do I begin to glimpse it's true meaning.

Powerful testimony. 70 years!  I started following Washington football in 1972, five years before I threw my harpoon into Moby. I've been reading it and teaching it ever since. Why couldn't we have been the Washington Whales! Ha! "Oh, lonely death on lonely life! Oh, now I feel my topmost greatness lies in my topmost grief." May the curtain's descent be ever so slow. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Mayfield is available at 4 pm. First two teams in line to claim him are the Texans and the Rams. I'm hoping he goes to the Rams so that he can play against the Seahawks for their week 18 finale in Seattle. Mayfield is better than Wofford, giving Rams more of a chance to win that game that could impact our playoff chances.

21 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Mayfield is available at 4 pm. First two teams in line to claim him are the Texans and the Rams. I'm hoping he goes to the Rams so that he can play against the Seahawks for their week 18 finale in Seattle. Mayfield is better than Wofford, giving Rams more of a chance to win that game that could impact our playoff chances.

No reason for them to really do it but they don't have a first round pick either. I guess they could pick him up to see if he is a guy they should keep as a backup for a now injury prone Stafford

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

Wow. My hopes are rarely realized. I can see Mayfield succeeding Stafford in LA. Good move for them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35310419/source-packers-elgton-jenkins-reach-4-year-68m-extension

Bummed Jenkins is off the market.  I was hoping the skins would be in on him as a versatile, swiss army knife olineman.  Although I admit I was surprised to see his deal avg 17 per wow.

I figured he'd get somewhere around there, though he might be overpaid.

Spotrac's "market value" number on him was like 7.5, while Wes Schweitzer is near 14 mil. 

• Haha 1

G BEN POWERS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

• 2021 WAR: 0.148
  • 2022 WAR through Week 14: 0.2

Indianapolis Colts guard Quenton Nelson completely changed the landscape of the guard market with his four-year, $80 million reset just prior to kickoff in Week 1. While no player should surpass that mark for at least one offseason, the market as a whole should benefit to varying degrees from Nelson blowing through the ceiling.

This is good timing for Powers hitting the market as a quality left guard in a free agent class lacking talent at the position, with his career-high 87.1 pass-blocking grade the best mark among all guards in 2022. Powers has yet to miss an offensive snap through Week 14 and has allowed a quarterback pressure on just 1.8% of dropbacks, the second-lowest mark among guards, with zero sacks surrendered on the season. Powers holds up when just looking at true pass sets, as well -— dropbacks with play action and screens removed — with his 2.5% pressure rate allowed also second among guards.

Powers was a good player in 2021 as he stepped into a full-time role for the first time with more balanced success as a better run blocker, but playing like one of the top pass-blocking guards in the entire NFL entering free agency should boost his valuation across the league.

OT KALEB MCGARY, ATLANTA FALCONS

• 2021 WAR: -0.048 
  • 2022 WAR through Week 14: 0.219

Selected with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2019 Draft — after Atlanta traded up with the Los Angeles Rams — McGary had his $13.2 million fully guaranteed fifth-year option for 2023 declined heading into the 2022 campaign. It didn’t come as a surprise to see the option declined, but McGary’s response has certainly turned a few heads.

McGary’s 90.5 run-blocking grade is the second best among tackles, but he’s also improved dramatically as a pass protector.

Year(s) Run-block grade Positively graded run-block percentage Pass-block grade Pressure rate allowed
2019-21 65.7 11.8% 53.0 6.5%
2022 90.5 18.9% (3rd) 66.2 3.7% (11th)

McGary was an older rookie and will be 28 in 2023, but tackles are playing later and later in recent years and he could still produce at a similar level for the duration of a four-plus-year free agent contract, in theory.

McGary’s dominance as an outside zone run blocker and growth as a pass blocker should make him an intriguing prospect for many teams, though it’s important for these prospective suitors to understand how McGary has benefited from Arthur Smith’s run-heavy and play-action-heavy offensive scheme, with his pressure rate allowed on true pass sets at 7.4%. Atlanta has run play action on 44.8% of dropbacks, the highest rate in the NFL by almost five percentage points. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agents-raised-stock-free-agency-2022

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Orlando Brown Jr could hit the market. Not sure he’s made many friends in KC this last 6 months. Doesn’t sound like he’s played to the level of contract he’s been demanding either. Might be an interesting situation in free agency.

Yeah my Chiefs fan friend tells me he's been absolute ass. I'd stay away.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:56 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

G BEN POWERS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

• 2021 WAR: 0.148
  • 2022 WAR through Week 14: 0.2

Indianapolis Colts guard Quenton Nelson completely changed the landscape of the guard market with his four-year, $80 million reset just prior to kickoff in Week 1. While no player should surpass that mark for at least one offseason, the market as a whole should benefit to varying degrees from Nelson blowing through the ceiling.

This is good timing for Powers hitting the market as a quality left guard in a free agent class lacking talent at the position, with his career-high 87.1 pass-blocking grade the best mark among all guards in 2022. Powers has yet to miss an offensive snap through Week 14 and has allowed a quarterback pressure on just 1.8% of dropbacks, the second-lowest mark among guards, with zero sacks surrendered on the season. Powers holds up when just looking at true pass sets, as well -— dropbacks with play action and screens removed — with his 2.5% pressure rate allowed also second among guards.

Powers was a good player in 2021 as he stepped into a full-time role for the first time with more balanced success as a better run blocker, but playing like one of the top pass-blocking guards in the entire NFL entering free agency should boost his valuation across the league.

OT KALEB MCGARY, ATLANTA FALCONS

• 2021 WAR: -0.048 
  • 2022 WAR through Week 14: 0.219

Selected with the No. 31 overall pick in the 2019 Draft — after Atlanta traded up with the Los Angeles Rams — McGary had his $13.2 million fully guaranteed fifth-year option for 2023 declined heading into the 2022 campaign. It didn’t come as a surprise to see the option declined, but McGary’s response has certainly turned a few heads.

McGary’s 90.5 run-blocking grade is the second best among tackles, but he’s also improved dramatically as a pass protector.

Year(s) Run-block grade Positively graded run-block percentage Pass-block grade Pressure rate allowed
2019-21 65.7 11.8% 53.0 6.5%
2022 90.5 18.9% (3rd) 66.2 3.7% (11th)

McGary was an older rookie and will be 28 in 2023, but tackles are playing later and later in recent years and he could still produce at a similar level for the duration of a four-plus-year free agent contract, in theory.

McGary’s dominance as an outside zone run blocker and growth as a pass blocker should make him an intriguing prospect for many teams, though it’s important for these prospective suitors to understand how McGary has benefited from Arthur Smith’s run-heavy and play-action-heavy offensive scheme, with his pressure rate allowed on true pass sets at 7.4%. Atlanta has run play action on 44.8% of dropbacks, the highest rate in the NFL by almost five percentage points. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-free-agents-raised-stock-free-agency-2022

Hope they take a hard look at McGlinchey....

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

10. OT MIKE MCGLINCHEY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

McGlinchey hasn’t quite lived up to his top-10 pick billing coming out of the 2018 NFL NFL Draft, but he is a quality starter at right tackle who has returned to form after suffering a torn quadriceps in 2021. He’s dealt with various minor injuries over the years but has done well to avoid missing much time overall. 

McGlinchey is a perfect fit in Kyle Shanahan’s wide-zone rushing attack, with his 86.0 run-blocking grade since he entered the league a top-10 mark among tackles. He still has room to grow as a pass-protector but has notably dropped his pressure percentage allowed from 6.1% over his first three seasons to 5.2% over the past two.

38 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I think we should improve G in house, try Schweitzer and Cosmi at G, look at T and C for outside help to improve things

Schweitzer is fine as a backup. They need to get more athletic at guard so they can do more creative second level blocking and offer more in pass pro. Paul has that athletic ability by the way

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I've heard McGlinchey is the weak link of the 49er OL and IIRC he was pretty bad last week against us.

Yep. Classic dude he will be overpaid in FA. I don’t like this tackle class in FA

Edited by method man

My favorite FA target for the OL is Andre Dillard of the Eagles. Very talented player who is going to be available due to circumstances. He was their 1st round pick in 2019 but has dealt with injuries and lost the left tackle battle to Mailata who has become a top 5 LT in football. He has not been able to get a consistent starting job on the Philly OL because they have an entrenched starter in Lane Johnson at RT and are locked in at guard. Thus, over time, he has been a bit of a swingman who has played along the line except center. Along the way, he has been coached up by Jeff Stoutland, an OL coaching wizard. I think of him as a poor man's Elgton Jenkins. A guy you could probably pick up for 3 years at a $7M-$9M AAV who could start for you at RT or inside at guard.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, method man said:

My favorite FA target for the OL is Andre Dillard of the Eagles. Very talented player who is going to be available due to circumstances. He was their 1st round pick in 2019 but has dealt with injuries and lost the left tackle battle to Mailata who has become a top 5 LT in football. He has not been able to get a consistent starting job on the Philly OL because they have an entrenched starter in Lane Johnson at RT and are locked in at guard. Thus, over time, he has been a bit of a swingman who has played along the line except center. Along the way, he has been coached up by Jeff Stoutland, an OL coaching wizard. I think of him as a poor man's Elgton Jenkins. A guy you could probably pick up for 3 years at a $7M-$9M AAV who could start for you at RT or inside at guard.

An OL with injury history?  Sounds right up our alley.  😜

Seriously though, sounds like a good option to round out our tackle spot.

Center is the spot I’m most concerned about, and seems like the draft is our best option.  Would love to land a stud there.  Cut Roullier (though someone might be getting a steal bringing him in cheaply), maybe bring back Schweitzer, and then Larsen and the rook can compete for the starting gig with Wes as the 3rd string.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

An OL with injury history?  Sounds right up our alley.  😜

Seriously though, sounds like a good option to round out our tackle spot.

Center is the spot I’m most concerned about, and seems like the draft is our best option.  Would love to land a stud there.  Cut Roullier (though someone might be getting a steal bringing him in cheaply), maybe bring back Schweitzer, and then Larsen and the rook can compete for the starting gig with Wes as the 3rd string.

With Larsen, I would totally bring him back but do what they did this year. Start him on PUP and bring him off of it when you need him. Allows you to fit an extra lineman on the season opening roster. They should take a quality center they feel good about starting right away like Schmitz in rd 2

• Like 1