Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

Just now, illone said:

Brilliant move by GMAP and staff to ruffle the jimmies a little bit here right at the end of the process. 

Expect nothing, ready for anything. 

I'm actually about to start believing that McCarthy is the likely pick now lol.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I think we're drafting both Penix and McCarthy and surgically grafting McCarthy's legs to Penix's torso.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, illone said:

Brilliant move by GMAP and staff to ruffle the jimmies a little bit here right at the end of the process. 

Expect nothing, ready for anything. 

What’s also interesting is that the other 21 players that showed up that night are NOT in the news, or at least their agents instructed them correctly to roll with the punches and stay frosty even if they didn’t agree with the move. 

Part of being a professional at literally any job is adapting to change. Jayden kinda tipped his hand a little here that he isnt mentally tough enough to adapt to a small change in venue, no less a much more costly change like a blitzing corner or linebacker. 

Yeah if anyone should be pissed about schlepping all the way to DC for a group date it's Penix lol.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think we're drafting both Penix and McCarthy and surgically grafting McCarthy's legs to Penix's torso.

this is actually true. 

S2’s more sinister mission is to acquire data from test takers so they can produce unrivaled football AI and charge teams to neuralink it to their chosen player. 

last year they made an error in the files in that Bryce Young thought he was downloading Peyton Manning but ended up with Carson Wentz’s football brain instead. Woops!

So we’re up to Patriots, 49ers, and Rams all doing this since at least 2010 (that’s when Norris was there). 

The only thing “odd” or out of the box about it is that we did included the QB’s in a QB-heavy year. Makes Daniels’ agent (or, uncharitably, Daniels himself) look like a big entitled baby. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

So we’re up to Patriots, 49ers, and Rams all doing this since at least 2010 (that’s when Norris was there). 

The only thing “odd” or out of the box about it is that we did included the QB’s in a QB-heavy year. Makes Daniels’ agent (or, uncharitably, Daniels himself) look like a big entitled baby. 

It seemed odd at first to me. But of course they have done so much work on these guys, that I can see this as one final bit of intel gathering. Once I saw how it was shaking out, it raises some interesting possibilities. I mean, if these QBs can be friendly and supportive of each other in this circumstance, then they probably tend towards being good teammates down the road.

I wonder if it will lose much of that value after all the talk about it. Once you know what's coming, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to coach guys up on how to act next time. 

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want Maye.

Hopefully that's who they want.  But if they want Daniels in their shoes I wouldn't let that stuff derail it.  Now if they saw it even, I'd use it to tip the balance.

I think it more depends upon how closely tiered together they are. As an example, for me, back in '20 or was it '21, I had Lamb clearly ahead of Jefferson, Reagor, Ruggs, Aiyuk, Pittman, Mims, Higgins, and Shenault etc, but after Jefferson and Reagor (ugh, don't remind me about Reagor, so many wasted draft picks on that dude), I had to sort the pile of similarly rated guys in Ruggs, Aiyuk, Pittman, Mims, Higgins, 

Generally I came out of this butchering the living hell out of it:

My memory is I tiered this out:

Tier 1:

Lamb (by his lonesome)

Tier 2:

Jeudy

Reagor

Jefferson

Reagor and Jefferson painfully tied, w/me giving a slight edge to Reagor, unfortunately

Tier 3:

Shenault

Higgins

Mims

Ruggs

Pittman

Aiyuk

Now needless to say, I butchered the hell out of my rankings and came out of my drafts that covid summer heavy on Mims and Shenault, Lamb and Reagor, light on jefferson, Pittman, and Aiyuk. 

But for me, quite often, tier 3 was a toss up for me, and I'd often pick players simply based upon what was left: people usually peeled Higgins off the board before I could get him, but I did get him twice, I got Pittman once and Aiyuk once, and often, I was simply left with 3 of those guys, and usually I'd simply take whichever between Shenault, Higgins or Mims was left, and then in latter drafts, to diversify, I took an Aiyuk here, a Pittman there, a Ruggs there, to balance out the risk, thank god (because needless to say, I totally butchered ranking everyone outside of tier 1 Lamb). 

What makes my tier 3 similar to this debate is that I had all of those guys neck and neck. Anything could tiebreak them: I was worried that Shenault's final year was sketchy, I was worried about Higgins athleticism, I was worried about where Mims went to school, Ruggs just seemed like a guy who wasn't valuable in fantasy while going of vague memory, I think Pittman and Aiyuk were just okay athletes and had poor breakout age #'s. But when it comes to daniels, I'd be cross checking all that stuff, praying I wasn't as bad as <me> back in 2020 with those WR's, and If Daniels were as close as I had Reagor and Jefferson, those details would be a tiebreaking quantity. We all know iffy mental make up can be a killer for QB's. I'm not gonna worry about it if I just think daniels is better period, but if I have them as close as say I had Reagor and Jefferson, well, then I go with the cleaner off the field thing if everything else results in a relatively even score. 

But again, if they've just ended up with Daniels having a 6.87 grade, and Maye have a 6.71, you go with Daniels, period, it's more when they're both 6.8's or 6.7's and the differences are minute that I'd use that piece of information as a potential tiebreaker. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

It seemed odd at first to me. But of course they have done so much work on these guys, that I can see this as one final bit of intel gathering. Once I saw how it was shaking out, it raises some interesting possibilities. I mean, if these QBs can be friendly and supportive of each other in this circumstance, then they probably tend towards being good teammates down the road.

I wonder if it will lose much of that value after all the talk about it. Once you know what's coming, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to coach guys up on how to act next time

Maybe, but I think people with good intuitions can usually sniff out people who are being phony or just playing a role vs being genuine. Guys like GMAP and DQ seem like guys who probably have that sort of inherent intuition.

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Depends on how outsized a role she plays. If he's mostly shy and reserved and she...for lack of a better phrase..."wears the pants" and he does what she says and follows her lead then yeah, that could be problematic I'd think. 

She has an outsized role.  She's in the injury tent with him, which means she's on the sidelines during his games.  And she personally participated in recruiting violations at Arizona St.  She has had a completely inappropriate amount of program access for a player's parent, and I don't care who demanded that access between either her or Jayden, it's a red flag either way.

I think we all know why Jayden needed that huge suitcase on his visit.  His mom:

tenor.gif

• Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I wonder if it will lose much of that value after all the talk about it. Once you know what's coming, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to coach guys up on how to act next time. 

The weirdest and saddest one, was some due diligence guy area scout type guy, I feel like NFC South, just staked out a bar Blackmon was rumored to hit on the regular, and saw him get hammered there repeatedly, and that team took Blackmon off their board (I think it was the Bucs). They definitely gather a lot more than we think. That's one of the reasons I found the Derrius Guice thing so freaking weird. They were even telling hardship stories about him on draft day (his dad died when he was young if I remember right), and then it turns out a couple years later, the guy was a certifiable domestic monster. You'd think that would be easy to figure out. Kirby Puckett is another one of those too. Hard to figure when they simply don't find it out till later, or did they just ignore it. Sounds like the Leaf stories were easy to pick up if you did any leg work, kind of like with Blackmon. Blackmon was supposedly great with fans and kids, not a bad person, just had a career wrecking addiction issues. 

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maybe, but I think people with good intuitions can usually sniff out people who are being phony or just playing a role vs being genuine. Guys like GMAP and DQ seem like guys who probably have that sort of inherent intuition.

And honestly, if he's introverted, rather than simply shy, that kind of set up is inherently a disaster in waiting. Especially if he's been draining his social battery night and day for weeks engaging with these meetings, and now he has to do some bizarre, impossible to prepare for, social get together with his competitors. 

I don't say this as a criticism of the idea, just more, if I am introverted and Jayden Daniels, rather than just shy, that whole thing would be a nightmare, and would bring out the most sort of introverted, wallflower, response. There's only so much social engagement an introvert can do before shutting down, and routine, and predictability are tools that help manage those kinds of anxieties, those kinds of curve balls are the exact sort that would pull the worst performance out of someone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

The more I read from Keim, the less I feel he has any clue at all what's going on. 

He is as plugged in as anyone. But I doubt there are more than maybe 4 people in our front office + ownership who REALLY know what is going on - and they are not talking to anyone.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I think it's between Daniels and JJ. They made it clear yesterday in the presser that they want someone with experience and not a project (which Maye is).

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

The weirdest and saddest one, was some due diligence guy area scout type guy, I feel like NFC South, just staked out a bar Blackmon was rumored to hit on the regular, and saw him get hammered there repeatedly, and that team took Blackmon off their board (I think it was the Bucs). They definitely gather a lot more than we think. That's one of the reasons I found the Derrius Guice thing so freaking weird. They were even telling hardship stories about him on draft day (his dad died when he was young if I remember right), and then it turns out a couple years later, the guy was a certifiable domestic monster. You'd think that would be easy to figure out. Kirby Puckett is another one of those too. Hard to figure when they simply don't find it out till later, or did they just ignore it. Sounds like the Leaf stories were easy to pick up if you did any leg work, kind of like with Blackmon. Blackmon was supposedly great with fans and kids, not a bad person, just had a career wrecking addiction issues. 

It seemed like there was enough about Guice before the draft. I hated that pick for that reason.

Ooh, I'm sorry. I am not allowed to say that. I mean, I had a mildly negative opinion of Derius Guice, but there is no way I could possibly know as much as an NFL front office, so dunno- maybe it was a good pick, maybe not?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He is as plugged in as anyone. But I doubt there are more than maybe 4 people in our front office + ownership who REALLY know what is going on - and they are not talking to anyone.

I get the sense that Peters wanted this ---- locked down after the leaky decades prior. I mean, its worth noting, normally we would have an idea not only on this pick, but also who we liked in other rounds, it hasn't been that unusual in recent years to have a clue of what position and what prospects they might be targeting on day 2 as well and I can't recall anyone mentioning of hint of anything in any round at all. They seem to have locked things up. When he was out here in the bay, I can't remember anything beyond the Lance/Mac-gate weirdness. None of them were really telegraphed from what I recall. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It seemed like there was enough about Guice before the draft. I hated that pick for that reason.

Ooh, I'm sorry. I am not allowed to say that. I mean, I had a mildly negative opinion of Derius Guice, but there is no way I could possibly know as much as an NFL front office, so dunno- maybe it was a good pick, maybe not?

I had Guice as RB3 in that draft, behind Chubb and Barkley. I'm still not sold I was wrong, when he was healthy he was really good, but yeah, I don't know how there wasn't smoke considering the litany of offenses that came out. No way due diligence people or crosscheckers should have failed to pick up on that stuff. 

• Like 1