Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On 4/30/2024 at 7:51 AM, DogofWar1 said:

Hartman will be a good test case for VR.  And maybe even like Fromm and Mariota as well.

Can you take a young probably future backup QB and make them somewhat competent through VR?  Can you take a current backup QB who is still somewhat young and elevate their game?  Can you take an "older" veteran QB who now finds themselves as a backup (future backup) and have them elevate their game back up to starter status.

How much does VR raise people's ceilings vs how much does it just bring out potential that was already there.

I think the problem with him or at least the biggest one, was the Danny Weurffel problem. He just doesn't have the minimum arm necessary to get it done, period. Then there's all the rest. I don't think VR can fix a base level problem like having insufficient arm strength for the college to NFL leap. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Kinda miss when there was like 30 new posts in here every 20 minutes

You can always go back 200+ pages and pretend we haven't selected JD yet.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Just some stupid fab product that's supposed to help you build muscle but it's really just snake oil.

Not saying v.r. is snake oil but that it's usefulness is limited.

Here's a link in case you're curious. 

https://www.barberknight.com/products/knight-tactical-x-pro-abs-simulator?currency=USD&variant=41245396992057&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=3103e6b9cae1&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0MexBhD3ARIsAEI3WHJ4xA3YMyo45FAZ1ilc3sqoHGTv2txKG70ykK44GIYS5ZC3bhY9XKIaAmHSEALw_wcB

Madness. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

The only way is up from last year in terms of talent and coaching. But there are way too many new parts that have to come together, plus some key missing pieces (OT, possibly CB) for me to think we have a real shot at a division title this year. 

Lot’s of reasons for optimism, but I’m with you - just too many question marks at the moment.  Of course, we damn near made the playoffs under Turner with a broken Wentz and (choose your qualifier) Heinicke at qb, so I’m not going to pretend I have any idea how our season will go (though winning the division sounds pretty laughable).

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We literally had the worst coaching in the NFL last season. No hyperbole - I really believe that especially on defense. Just getting competent coaching on that side of the ball will give us a big lift. That plus having NFL calibre linebackers on the roster. I do worry about where the pass rush is going to come from - it is going to have to be much more schemed than we have seen in the last few years. 

Okay Ron :)

It was strange to see our D fall off a cliff.  I don’t know what will happen at corner for us.  Hopefully coaching, scheme, competition (and figuring out how to up our pass rush) winds up in decent enough play on the outside.  If so, I can envision a dramatic turnaround.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think every question about his character has been answered. And his work ethic.

its been a week. lets give it a season

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

We literally had the worst coaching in the NFL last season. No hyperbole - I really believe that especially on defense. Just getting competent coaching on that side of the ball will give us a big lift. That plus having NFL calibre linebackers on the roster. I do worry about where the pass rush is going to come from - it is going to have to be much more schemed than we have seen in the last few years. 

I don't get tired, obviously 😁, of noting that from day one I told TK ron would be one of the worst we've had at hc. Fine human, ho hum at best imo at Carolina despite the award. But even I didn't think he would descend even further in competence or actually  check out like he did. On the latter, it's hard to be angry given his health situation and as I always note, I appreciate the personal character he brought to the org.

Quinn has already shown he's far better at football than Ron. The lady five years have been so ugly on almost every front, even for this franchise in the Snyder era. We are def going to be ascending the hill instead of repeatedly rolling down it, flailing all the way.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Conn said:

Thanks for sharing that Conn.

That’s priceless insight into the man, not just the football player.

Most impressive thing about it was that Jayden made no effort to publicize it. We’ve had many players, and I’m not calling any names, but we’ve had many players over the years so focused on their image and how the public sees them that everything they did seemed fake, choreographed, or artificial.  

It’s refreshing to see evidence of pure altruism. An action done with no ulterior motive and no self benefit. Done personally and privately without the idea of later ironically announcing to the world, “Look at my magnificent deeds. Observe how humble and great I am.”

So refreshing.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think every question about his character has been answered. And his work ethic.

"Meaning, of course, that there's still a chance, even a better chance now, that Chicago will 'trade down' with us, Caleb for Jayden."

You can't fool us, we know what you're thinking!  😋

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

"Meaning, of course, that there's still a chance, even a better chance now, that Chicago will 'trade down' with us, Caleb for Jayden."

You can't fool us, we know what you're thinking!  😋

That ship has sailed. I’m now at peace with our QB situation.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 2:27 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

I would love to see the rest of that DQ interview above.

Anyone know where it can be found?

Did you ever find this? Because I came across it earlier, it's from the draft night coverage, starts at 11:20.

(And if anyone could explain how to embed YouTube vids and tweets so it shows the preview in my post it would be much appreciated, thanks!)

Edited by sinews
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, sinews said:

Did you ever find this? Because I came across it earlier, it's from the draft night coverage, starts at 11:20.

https://youtu.be/4WJtgeMBzoA

(And if anyone could explain how to embed YouTube vids and tweets so it shows the preview in my post it would be much appreciated, thanks!)

To embed just post the link and end the line. End the line meaning press enter to go to the next line and it should embed automatically. 

https://youtu.be/4WJtgeMBzoA

Edit: i see you tried that. So I tried it with your link and it didn't work. Weird. Must be the link? 

Edit2: You must have used some truncated version of the link and thats the problem. Here it is though. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, sinews said:

Thanks, bro!

Looking forward to watching it when I get home.

• Like 1

Steelers declined Fields' 5th year option, so he will hit FA next offseason. If he doesn't re-sign in Pittsburgh and can't find a starting gig, I'd love to bring him in as JD's backup. Similar skill-sets and he could occupy that back-up role for a long time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Steelers declined Fields' 5th year option, so he will hit FA next offseason. If he doesn't re-sign in Pittsburgh and can't find a starting gig, I'd love to bring him in as JD's backup. Similar skill-sets and he could occupy that back-up role for a long time.

I think he would need to get in the game w/ Pitt at some point and tank his value even further for that to be viable.

I think as things currently sit if he is allowed to ride the bench for a year somebody would offer him an opportunity to be in a competition to start rather than sign on somewhere as a defacto backup in FA. He's not a total catastrophe, he's just not good enough to be a better option tan a young cheap and promising QB.

On your line of thinking tho... How unstoppable is a read option w/ JD and Fields in the backfield? Yeesh.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think he would need to get in the game w/ Pitt at some point and tank his value even further for that to be viable.

I think as things currently sit if he is allowed to ride the bench for a year somebody would offer him an opportunity to be in a competition to start rather than sign on somewhere as a defacto backup in FA. He's not a total catastrophe, he's just not good enough to be a better option tan a young cheap and promising QB.

On your line of thinking tho... How unstoppable is a read option w/ JD and Fields in the backfield? Yeesh.

Imagine Fields in a Taysom Hill-type role. Dynamic.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

All things equal I totally agree, but I think Fields at some point of the season will become the starter in Pittsburgh as I think he is head and shoulders better at this point of their careers then Russell Wilson, and he will do fine and have his choice of options, 1 being a return to the Steelers as the starter 

Edited by Command The 414

I just can't see it. I get it, but I think he's gonna be hunting for a starting gig, and failing that he's gonna want to go to a team that's a mess at QB in '25, not a team with a guy who just took somebody top 2 overall. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I just can't see it. I get it, but I think he's gonna be hunting for a starting gig, and failing that he's gonna want to go to a team that's a mess at QB in '25, not a team with a guy who just took somebody top 2 overall. 

Yeah realistically we'd prob have to wait for him to flame out another time or two before he settles for "obvious backup" roles. Like how RG3 had to go thru Cleveland to accept a deal as Lamar's backup.

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

All things equal I totally agree, but I think Fields at some point of the season will become the starter in Pittsburgh as I think he is head and shoulders better at this point of their careers then Russell Wilson, and he will do fine and have his choice of options, 1 being a return to the Steelers as the starter 

The elite dual-threat QB runner opens up the opportunity to adopt a ground-and-pound strategy in today's pass-friendly environment. It makes perfect sense for the Steelers to shift towards a more athletic QB to focus on power football. The delay in this approach was likely due to Big Ben and a desire to avoid mirroring their division rivals' style.

Russell better step up his game and get in top shape if he wants to keep Fields at bay. He's gotta embrace being a dual-threat QB again if he wants to stay relevant; he’s a terrible pocket QB If that’s all he’s doing. Wonder if he's finally realized he needs to humble himself.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The elite dual-threat QB runner opens up the opportunity to adopt a ground-and-pound strategy in today's pass-friendly environment. It makes perfect sense for the Steelers to shift towards a more athletic QB to focus on power football. The delay in this approach was likely due to Big Ben and a desire to avoid mirroring their division rivals' style.

Russell better step up his game and get in top shape if he wants to keep Fields at bay. He's gotta embrace being a dual-threat QB again if he wants to stay relevant; he’s a terrible pocket QB If that’s all he’s doing. Wonder if he's finally realized he needs to humble himself.

Totally agree and share the same sentiments… to be honest I could easily see Fields taking the reins as soon as week 3-4… Arthur Smith the new OC has to be counting the time till then imho…. I actually think with their additions in FA and the draft they could content with the Ravens easily for the Division… but the AFC North is the best in the NFL I think…

• Like 1