Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Giants

KDawg

First thing- What a game?!  Really enjoyed it.  The win makes it soooo much better.  For some reason the Giants shooting themselves in the foot makes it better. 🙂

I try not to make too many judgments after only 2 games.  However, I have to say, it’s not looking good.

Heinicke won’t make the HoF but frankly he gets it done.  The o’line looked like it improved over the game, which is good.   TM was TM (Thank God).  Brown showed a little something so hopefully he can contribute more down the line.  I would like us to run the ball a bit more. 

Now the defense. 

Front 4: They seemed happy to stay in their respective lanes.  No idea if it was instructions from the DC but it really looked very uninspired.  Very hot and cold.  Way more cold.

LB: It’s going to be a long season.

CB: I was not that disappointed with the CBs, mainly due to low expectation.  I have no idea if they are told to give such large cushions or they have a choice.  That just allowed easy completions too often.  At least the tackling improved.

SS/FS:  I did not pay much attention, so cannot comment.

If last week’s performance against the Chargers was worrying, the fact the defense could not shred this current Giants o-line is really bad and does not bode well with better teams down the line.  Bills, Saints, Packers, Bucs.  I won’t worry about the Chiefs.  Short of kidnapping all their OTs 2 hours before the game it won’t make any difference what we do.

• Like 3

Humphries deserves a mention.

Among other things, he made the all-important sideline grab to set up the winning FG.

He was surely clutch last night, too

Does Samuel return in Week 4 ?

Wow, imagining him in this offense is going to be great...

IF...

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

Sunday-Thursday game is not enough turnaround to really evaluate the roster and whose playing how well or not.

With this extra layoff that's almost a mini-bye week, I'm hoping the coaches realize some people need more playing time over others.

So Curl and McCain getting more snaps than Collins.  Davis taking some of Holcomb's snaps, or maybe Bostic's?  Figuring out a new scheme to utilize Fuller (preferably in bracket coverage) when we go to Man instead of Zone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Landon Collins’ was the last little gift from Bruce Allen and I’ll forever hate him for it. He’s only a “name” player because he went to Bama and was a Sean Taylor fan as a kid. Get him tf out of here.

While I have to admit I don't look for him on the field and can't provide any analysis about his performances, I'll say this- when we hear his name from the announcers it's never for anything positive.

3 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

I want to know what the reasoning behind not changing the yardage where McKissic fell untouched and then crossed the First Down marker.  I really have no clue why it wasn't changed.  Even the official on call for the broadcast was dumbfounded.

Even if they made the claim he fell because he was touched, it still looked like a bad mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What worries me is all the third and longs the Giants and the Chargers converted. Even three of the times the Giants failed, they ended up with a fourth inside of FG range.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So does anyone know why Sims' playing time has decreased dramatically ?

All I've heard is the team raving about him, and he finished last season strong against Tampa, and with Samuel out I'd figure he'd have a bigger role.

But it's been the opposite.

They like Dyami Brown more. He's been the guy getting most of what would have been a healthy Samuel's snaps. McKissic looked like he got snaps that often would have gone to WR four last night.

• Thumb up 1

The Giants self inflicted wounds definitely aided our win, but we made some big plays when we had to and got a huge win. The big turnover in back to back games deep in our own territory when holding slim leads with a chance to ice the game is concerning for sure. It cost us big last week, but we were able to overcome it this week.

Chase Young hasn't done a whole lot since yelling "I want Tom, I'm coming Tom" when running off the field after the playoff clinching win in the season finale against Philly. He was a non factor in the playoff loss to Tampa and never got close to Brady. Although he wasn't a complete no show last week, he didn't play like we needed him to and it was costly, as Herbert never faced much pressure and carved us up- especially on key 3rd downs. Last night he was quiet again and going back to last years playoff loss, this is 3 straight games that he has not factored like we expect or need him to.

I'll take the fortunate win last night and think that the ten days off now will do us good. We clearly have some things to fix and it almost feels like we were kind of still in pre-season mode these first two games. Going to Buffalo next week is obviously going to be a tough task, but I think we'll see a much more disciplined, focused team when we next play in nine days.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Wow

Pure schadenfreude for those that want to inject it into their veins

almost feel bad.... almost

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/new-faces-same-giants-new-yorks-run-of-epic-futility-continues-151212237.html

"After Thursday, the Giants are now 18-48 — a winning percentage of just 27 percent — since 2017. That ranks dead last in the NFL. They’ve gone 0-2 to start the last five seasons. They’ve transplanted quarterbacks, swapped out front office staff, carved off coaches, shuttled high draft picks in and out like an over-caffeinated blackjack dealer, and the results remain depressingly the same."

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4797wfbottzc73z1rs3z

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I don’t think it should have been called because there was lack of extension and once the defender started trying he let go but he definitely had a full grasp of his jersey.  

It seemed to me it prevented him from turning around and having a shot. 

Did he have a shot?  Who knows, he just being held...haha.

• Thumb up 1

I like the team Rivera has built. I don’t know if it ultimately goes anywhere or not. But I like it.  Mostly. 

I really like heineke. I have since I first saw him. 

we haven’t had a qb that can stand in the pocket to let plays develop, willing to throw 25 yards down field if there’s a chance it’s open, in a long time. Everyone’s been incompetent, old, or in possession of a noodle arm. I’m glad I’m not watching screens and short dump offs constantly. It’s a bit easier when the defense has to respect the deep routes cause you’ll throw it any time it’s even close to open. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Destino said:
my next day thoughts are this:  **** the giants.  I’m glad we beat them in an unlikely manner that will haunt them and their fans.  

and the icing on my cake is sending them into that 0-2 statistical death march when they were all just starting to believe again

muhuwahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Sunday-Thursday game is not enough turnaround to really evaluate the roster and whose playing how well or not.

With this extra layoff that's almost a mini-bye week, I'm hoping the coaches realize some people need more playing time over others.

So Curl and McCain getting more snaps than Collins.  Davis taking some of Holcomb's snaps, or maybe Bostic's?  Figuring out a new scheme to utilize Fuller (preferably in bracket coverage) when we go to Man instead of Zone.

I don’t wanna be too hard on Fuller in part because I don’t think any of them have been good, but… I wondered about that same idea.  Drop Fuller and have Curl (heck, maybe even Davis) man the slot receiver.

1 hour ago, OMacAttack said:

I want to know what the reasoning behind not changing the yardage where McKissic fell untouched and then crossed the First Down marker.  I really have no clue why it wasn't changed.  Even the official on call for the broadcast was dumbfounded.

All I could think of was they considered it as if he were giving himself up.  I was a poor spot, and a ridiculous review though.

@Burgold - the Chase Young penalty on the sack was actually called correctly IMO - you can’t land on a qb (unless you cushion your fall, and not with the qb’s body, haha).  We got lucky they didn’t call Allen for his sack too.  (welcome back by the way, I originally typed Borgold, lol)

• Like 1

And yeah he’s gonna throw interceptions. Some will be awful and at the worst times. 

that’s what being willing to throw the ball and trying to win and play aggressively means. It’s going to happen. People need to get over it and just see what this guy turns into. 

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Burgold - the Chase Young penalty on the sack was actually called correctly IMO - you can’t land on a qb (unless you cushion your fall, and not with the qb’s body, haha).  We got lucky they didn’t call Allen for his sack too.  (welcome back by the way, I originally typed Borgold, lol)

Thanks for the greeting. If it was a "correct" call it is the kind of rule change I hate most. It wasn't a vicious hit. Not a dirty hit. And the idea that the pass rusher can suddenly negate all the laws of momentum and physics seems absurd to me.

I'm for protecting players, but you can't play a tackle game and make tackling illegal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

"After Thursday, the Giants are now 18-48 — a winning percentage of just 27 percent — since 2017. That ranks dead last in the NFL. They’ve gone 0-2 to start the last five seasons. They’ve transplanted quarterbacks, swapped out front office staff, carved off coaches, shuttled high draft picks in and out like an over-caffeinated blackjack dealer, and the results remain depressingly the same."

When did Dan Snyder bought the NY Giants?

Can he owns two NFL teams at one time?

• Haha 4